Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX refund--System always down

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

CX refund--System always down

I purchased a ticket in Nov 2018 for an itin from the US to be flown in Feb-Mar 2019. I canceled the booking myself and tried to to use their online refund form. Every time I used it, it said there's a system error. ALso, I called and called for months, and got an agent to answer once. Then, she said then system was down. Calling this airline has almost become a part-time job. I was on hold for than >45 minutes for every single call.

I am fed up and really want to see my refund. In addition to filing a complaint to CX, I want to file complaint to DOT and a lawsuit. I am thinking that CX probably doesn't care about the DOT, but the lawsuit.

Which is the legal entity that has to be served for a lawsuit?

I had a similar issue with CX about 12 years ago. The agents kept saying that the refund was processed, but later admitted that they credited the wrong account. It took me almost 8 months.

What was your experience in a similar situation with CX?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
What number did you call and what language did you select?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmiller11101
What number did you call and what language did you select?
I called the HK line in English.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:06 am

It's staffed 24/7. Which number specifically did you call, what options did you select, and what happened? Call disconnected, on hold, or what?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:23 am

CX701

I was booked on CX701 HKG-BBK (Business) . I was connecting from London on BA 31.
I eventually got re-routed on TK639, got in 3hrs late. Spent over 2hrs at transfer desk waiting for TG to find my bags and issue boarding pass.

Can I claim compensation
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Dermot
I was booked on CX701 HKG-BBK (Business) . I was connecting from London on BA 31.
I eventually got re-routed on TK639, got in 3hrs late. Spent over 2hrs at transfer desk waiting for TG to find my bags and issue boarding pass.

Can I claim compensation
Topic drifting a little bit, but I'll bite: Were you connecting via the same itinerary as your flight from London or is it a separate booking?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:52 am

Thanks for jumping in.

LHR-HKG-BBK on BA stock on some booking ref.
BA31-CX710
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:12 am

Thanks for jumping in.

LHR-HKG-BBK on BA stock on some booking ref.
BA31-CX710
If you were delayed at your destination by 3 hours or more, then it seems like you would be due compensation under EU Flight Compensation Regulation 261/2004... start by contact your booking agent and reading the treaty I guess? Idk.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmiller11101
It's staffed 24/7. Which number specifically did you call, what options did you select, and what happened? Call disconnected, on hold, or what?
I called their HK number and asked for English CS. I was put on hold for 45-60 min each time. After then, I just hung up. CX thinks this is their strategy to avoid issuing a refund...maybe...
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Barkinpark
Which is the legal entity that has to be served for a lawsuit?
Check the corporations section of the website of the Secretary of State for your state. Search for "Cathay Pacific". You will find there an agent in your state for service of legal process.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Check the corporations section of the website of the Secretary of State for your state. Search for "Cathay Pacific". You will find there an agent in your state for service of legal process.
Thanks. Will do.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Was this a refundable fare basis?

If so, why haven't you simply initiated a chargeback through your credit card issuer (bank(? This should all have taken 5 minutes:
1. Call and ask.
2. Wait 3-4 days.
3. Initiate chargeback
4, See credit appear on your statement.

Depending on your issuer / bank this may still be available to you. Legally, you only have 60 days and you have let that run. But, some issuers permit more.

As a general matter, this is faster & more effective than a lawsuit because it takes less time and the funds are yours sooner.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
There is a penalty for refunds.
I guess the chargeback period is over. However, I will ask my cc company anyway. Thanks.

I checked CX's website: there's no time limit to request a refund.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Often1

If so, why haven't you simply initiated a chargeback through your credit card issuer (bank(? This should all have taken 5 minutes:
1. Call and ask.
2. Wait 3-4 days.
3. Initiate chargeback
4, See credit appear on your statement.

Depending on your issuer / bank this may still be available to you. Legally, you only have 60 days and you have let that run. But, some issuers permit more.

As a general matter, this is faster & more effective than a lawsuit because it takes less time and the funds are yours sooner.
Should be 120 days from refund request date https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/downlo...c.pdf#page=707
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Can I claim compensation
It's really OT but I will bite too.
It is hard to understand what happened. First, you probably mean TG639 not TK639. Second, it is hard to understand what happened and where. If it is BA31 that flew in 3 hours late and this was on a single ticket issued by BA,, BA should have been waiting for you at the door with BP and arranged the bag transfer. Apparently they sent you to the transfer desk instead.
In any case, this has nothing to do with CX but only BA. As mentioned above, you should claim EC261 compensation from BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.