Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

15 Hours in HKG Airport (NOT Going to City) - What to Do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 Hours in HKG Airport (NOT Going to City) - What to Do

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I think this should serve as a reminder to the greater FT community that when the OP (or any OP in fact) says that there is a reason behind their question (in this case for not pursuing going land-side), it might just be a very valid one - like in this case. All the replies saying the OP is foolish for not going land-side are pretty much useless in this situation.

OP, I admire your patience on the prospect of spending 15 hours at the airport - personally, in your situation, I would probably end up eating, having a drink (or several), a rest, a shower and then going for a walk from one end to another (i.e. from The Pier F to The Wing F). And repeating the story at the new hideout. Then, when you get bored, do the same in the opposite direction. Best of luck for your trip
Thanks for understanding !

Here is what happened:

The onward flight got delayed by 3 hours and I landed in HKG around 10 AM, reached Wing and had a shower and a good Lunch in the Dining Room. Checked out the Long bar and Noodle bar. Left to Pier around 4 PM, Got a nap room and killed 2-3 hrous. Had a leasurely Dinner and walked around a bit, before catching the next flight. Overall - Not a bad lay over. Also since its my first time in HKG, the novelty factor also kept me going.

I liked the Pier First Class lounge than the Wing - the Nap rooms are great and food options were better & more polished service in the sit down dining.

On the return, check out the bridge as the flight gates were not posted when I landed. Eventually went to Pier and had a good dinner before taking off.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and will definityly plan to check the city on the next trip.
fakecd and SKT-DK like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Whizkid
Thanks for understanding !

Here is what happened:

The onward flight got delayed by 3 hours and I landed in HKG around 10 AM, reached Wing and had a shower and a good Lunch in the Dining Room. Checked out the Long bar and Noodle bar. Left to Pier around 4 PM, Got a nap room and killed 2-3 hrous. Had a leasurely Dinner and walked around a bit, before catching the next flight. Overall - Not a bad lay over. Also since its my first time in HKG, the novelty factor also kept me going.

I liked the Pier First Class lounge than the Wing - the Nap rooms are great and food options were better & more polished service in the sit down dining.

On the return, check out the bridge as the flight gates were not posted when I landed. Eventually went to Pier and had a good dinner before taking off.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and will definityly plan to check the city on the next trip.
Glad to hear that it all worked out nicely, and that you had a nice trip! I agree with you that the Pier is in some ways preferable, but I do like the champagne bar at the Wing too
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
I have spent quite a few hours at HKG airport. As a matter of fact, right now I am headed there for a long layover (11 pm to 2:30 pm). I can go to Hong Kong (and have gone before multiple times) but decided not to (1.it's night mostly 2. Hotels are really expensive.) I have access to J and PP, so I am going to slog it out. I wish I had access to F lounges!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Nile_US
I have spent quite a few hours at HKG airport. As a matter of fact, right now I am headed there for a long layover (11 pm to 2:30 pm). I can go to Hong Kong (and have gone before multiple times) but decided not to (1.it's night mostly 2. Hotels are really expensive.) I have access to J and PP, so I am going to slog it out. I wish I had access to F lounges!
Great, be aware, the CX lounges do close for a couple of hours during the night, roughly from last departure until 5:30
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Yes, I am aware. Thanks, though. I do have Plaza premium lounge access. Just hope they don't kick me out in 3 hrs!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I had an 8 hour lay over recently, 4:30 amd - 12:30pm.
Visited Plaza Premium for some cup noodle and wait for Wing to open,
then visit Wing F and spend one hour at the Cabanas, followed by a full breakfast.
Head to Pier F, booked a massage and have a nap at the day suite for 2 hours... OMG, still only 9ish.
Went over to Pier J for a walk, from one side to another and then back.
Went out over to Bridge for a walk, also walked from one side of Bridge to another
Went back to Pier F for Massage, followed by a lunch.

Oh hell, 8 hours is really long to kill, early morning arrival relatively help as I could fall asleep at Pier F for a good hour. It was really life wasted. ...
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:07 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
We have a 12hr layover booked at HKG next month.

We LOVE the HKG F Lounges....and with the dirt cheap airfare ticket I found for us to get to Bali I figured this layover was the bonus! LoL

We are looking forward to it! It’s all part of the adventure!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:49 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by QRC3288
If you like watching planes, you can go to the various observation decks. Unfortunately these decks effectively turn into smoking areas which can be less than pleasant if you're not a smoker, but still decent if you really like watching planes.
Well I'm surprised no one suggested the OP take up smoking and do the entire airport tour of the smoking lounges and outside smoking areas.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
12 Hours in HKG (long layover) recommendations on what to do outside airport?

Hello fellow FT community,

After reading all replies of what to do on long layovers while not existing airport, any recommendations on what to do if i decide to leave the airport? Flight scheduled to land at 7:30 am and then departing back to US at 7:55 pm later that evening. Have had many layovers in HKG before but not to the tune of 12 hrs. Hold OW Emerald so have visited most of the F/J lounges prior but this time interested in hearing thoughts/recommendations on what to if I decided to leave HKG. Is 12 hrs enough time to exit immigration, quickly explore city, then head back through immigration on the departing flight back home?

Thank you all!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:51 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
There’s some suggestions in the HK forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/

Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:56 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by A651346
Is 12 hrs enough time to exit immigration, quickly explore city, then head back through immigration on the departing flight back home?

Thank you all!
unless your inbound flight is significanly delayed, you have enough time to explore 2/3 sights leisurely (reasonably accessible ones, that is) and return to lounge for shower
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

A651346,

Lots of things to do in HKG with 12 hrs ( Some dependent on the weather) but some could be
Ngong Ping Cable Car
Walk through kowloon (, Nathan Street) and visit the HK History museum
Star Ferry ( then perhaps Tram/MTR to Admiralty walk through the Conrad lobby to Hong kong park ( Conservatory and aviary )with a nice small lake
(Bus/Taxi up to the Peak/ tram down if not too busy)
Chi Lin Nunnery and Nan Lian Garden
Some of the temples

I would give Disneyland a miss unless a great fan ( you can buy HK disneyland souvniers at the disneyland store at the airport
Regards

TBS
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:58 am

Head for the pier J lounge and setup camp in the resting area when you need extended sleeping time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.