Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

15 Hours in HKG Airport (NOT Going to City) - What to Do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 Hours in HKG Airport (NOT Going to City) - What to Do

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
dude get a visa and enter the town. even if u dont want to go to city stay at airport hotel (landside only). i am ignorant as to severity of your passport issue but say u really wish not to go landside, then download Netflix (most have 1mth free subscription) and spend at any if those lounges watching it.

just to be a little more value adding, knowing u didnt do a search and probably wont be bothered, i suggest spend some time at J section of "Pier" because deep at the back there is dark spa-like area with daybeds u can sleep on... that can kill say 3 to 6hr depending on ur bodyclock.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
I am also curious as to what passport OP is holding.

Another suggestion for OP: Rather than living with the lounge food, which is not bad at all, you can try the local food at the food court, then have a hair cut and a proper massage.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:25 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Why don't airports (airside), train stations etc. have movie theaters--great for pax with long connections (who got tired of lounge hopping)? Probably due to the capability of watching movies on iphones, ipads, etc,; but watching a movie on a large screen in plush lounge chairs (with hot meal served to your seat) is especially nice.^
Follow-up: there IS an IMAX theater in HKG near the food court in T2, but it is listed as in "non-restricted" area = landside(?)

Last edited by nrr; Oct 22, 2018 at 6:34 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:16 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Plane spotting is possible in terminals. If OP doesn't mind others smoking, mid-field concourse viewing area is accessible for watching planes.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Why don't airports (airside), train stations etc. have movie theaters--great for pax with long connections (who got tired of lounge hopping)?
Changi does. It also has a swimming pool for transit lx. I live in SG, so have never used either, but still pretty cool that they are there.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by nrr
Follow-up: there IS an IMAX theater in HKG near the food court in T2, but it is listed as in "non-restricted" area = landside(?)
The IMAX theater in T2 is indeed landside. Used it a few times when living near HKG airport, tickets cheaper than other IMAX options in HK too!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
While it would probably only entertain you up an hour or two, there is some good shopping at HKG, even if you're only browsing. But I really would do as others have said and try to go into the city. There's so much you can do in HK in 15 hours to make the time fly by.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Also curious about the visa issues. If getting a visa is an option, I would definitely go for that.

Otherwise, you’ll have quite a long time to explore. Even though HKG is one of the worlds best airports, I would be bored after 15 hours there!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
Just wondering, what is your visa issue
There's quite a long list of visa required countries for HK at this link: https://www.chinahighlights.com/hong-kong/visa.htm
Interesting - no real pattern, Honduras no, Nicaragua and Panama yes, some "Stans", both Iran and Iraq, a few African nations, Cuba yes, Venezuela no.
So more than Sri Lanka as mentioned.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:35 pm

Get the Visa and BIG Tian Tan Buddha. WELL worth the trouble.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:35 pm
Suspended

OP, I feel for you, I have a 5 hr layover in 2 weeks and not looking forward to it.Id go nuts if it was 15 hours.

As others already said, if at all possible get a Visa and get into the city

I just did 12 hrs in an airport since my flight was CXed and by the time I finally got all the ducks in order (didntrteally wasnt sure if my next days connecting flight was indeed confirmed) there was < 3 hrs till the afternoon flight was open for taking my bags.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fakecd
dude get a visa and enter the town. even if u dont want to go to city stay at airport hotel (landside only). i am ignorant as to severity of your passport issue but say u really wish not to go landside, then download Netflix (most have 1mth free subscription) and spend at any if those lounges watching it.

just to be a little more value adding, knowing u didnt do a search and probably wont be bothered, i suggest spend some time at J section of "Pier" because deep at the back there is dark spa-like area with daybeds u can sleep on... that can kill say 3 to 6hr depending on ur bodyclock.
Thanks for mentioning this. I totally forget about it. This will probably what we would do for a HKG-MEL just passed Midnight when we would be out of our hotel by 4pm the latest, then take the leisure way to the airport. Still would have a few hours to kill after dinner and before boarding.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Isochronous
What does the HK Government have against Sri Lankans?
Recently, many of South Asians have sought refugee in Hong Kong. While some of them are law-abiding, some of them created a big mess in Hong Kong, such as South Asian Estate. Also - historically, South Asians' social standing in Hong Kong has been relatively low.

Because of all these factors, HKSAR Government has a strict immigration policy against South Asians.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:06 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Let’s not take this off topic to visa policies of the HK SAR.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:21 pm

While there's a lot of talk about lounges and such, you could also go shopping. It just depends on what you're interested in. There are tons of shops to just browse or buy things, Massages, some "art" exhibits on occasion, etc. Unfortunately, most of the entertainment options are landside, but theres a "Dream Come True Maker Workshop" near gate 44 which is airside. I haven't been there before, but it could be something to help kill some of those hours.

Of course, I just do the lounges, like most of the other posters but there ARE other things. It's a huge airport, and off the top of my head I would say only Changi and Incheon are more interesting. Well... maybe McCarran if you like to gamble, haha. In any case, good luck with your layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.