Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Y pax demanded to be upgraded (CX Secrets)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y pax demanded to be upgraded (CX Secrets)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
I think in this case the Captain needed to come out and assert his authority (or inform control the situation and have HK police waiting at the HKG gate). Plus, I would love to see that video and have those DYKWIA faces exposed.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Unfortunately I see more and more abusive passengers. Here are some thoughts:
  • If the passengers in question are that important, how come they are flying Y? I know important and exceptionally wealthy people who do fly economy but they are the last to flaunt status.
  • The level of intimidation shown by the disruptive passengers is exceptional and should not have been tolerated.
  • This intimidation is amplified by them taking videos. Funny that these passengers have not made their videos public. Here is where in the US they would have got it spot on, taking videos of crews working is a big no-no.
  • Anyway looks like the passengers in question have form, being the second known offence in this blackmail activity.
I have seen Police remove unruly passengers, but I guess the involvement of a baby (poor kid having these people as so-called parents) and video forced the bad decision by the Captain not to kick these people off. By behaving in the air gave the crew no reason to call HK Police to greet them for landing.

Sadly by appearing on CX Secrets suggests CX are not going to do anything about it. If true a gutless decision as crews will never know, or trust, that in the future management will protect them in similar or even worse situations.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:43 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The thing I find odd about this story is that the captain has the last say. I would expect with a delay like this the captain would have made a decision as to what to do. So is there something in this story we aren’t being told?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:57 am

Actually things like this will change in China (maybe) with their social credit monitoring.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:15 am

It annoys me when some ground staff don’t back up cabin crew, or pilots for that matter, when it comes to passenger handling.

clearly the ISM was uncomfortable with their behaviour and repeated gesticulating and harrassment, yet when told the ground staff are reluctant to intervene - because they know full well that those passengers left behind will become their problem.

It’s the same with late passengers, even though they are supposed to close the gate 10 mins before departure, they are reluctant to do so because angry passengers and searching for passengers bags is more effort and causes them more work. So they would rather allow them to board late and then it’s up to the flight crew to make up that delay.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I'm surprised that Ground Staff and Police didn't do anything. A few years ago a flight returned to the gate in Manila to offload a VIP (Honorary Consul & President of Filipino-Chinese Chamber of Commerce) for refusing to wear the shoulder seatbelt.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I'm surprised that Ground Staff and Police didn't do anything. A few years ago a flight returned to the gate in Manila to offload a VIP (Honorary Consul & President of Filipino-Chinese Chamber of Commerce) for refusing to wear the shoulder seatbelt.
I wonder if they are Taiwan VIPs hence the local police and Ground Staff know them already and refuse to act on the request of the operating crew.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:31 am

The post said 39D was right behind 21D that means it's a 33E. Checking flightradar B-LAN operated CX443 last July 21, 2018 and it was only CX443 that was delayed that day.

Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:31 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I wonder if they are Taiwan VIPs hence the local police and Ground Staff know them already and refuse to act on the request of the operating crew.
Again - the captain has the final say. There must be a reason why the captain didn’t intervene or we aren’t hearing the full story from the ISM.

If the captain asked for them to be offloaded then the ground crew must obey.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by sxc

Again - the captain has the final say. There must be a reason why the captain didn’t intervene or we aren’t hearing the full story from the ISM.

If the captain asked for them to be offloaded then the ground crew must obey.
Yeah interesting I was wondering also why the Captain did not do anything. And, is it really the ISM's decision to offload?

Man, wish we had someone on the 21 July give an alternate account.

But still, clearly a 1 hour delay meant the matter would have been quite serious? I cannot think of an alternate reality?

*Alternate reality -> maybe pax was pissed off with the ISM / crew and demanded they apologise. Crew refused to do so. Pax did not want to take the seat until they got what they want. So standoff?*
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by ermen
Yeah interesting I was wondering also why the Captain did not do anything. And, is it really the ISM's decision to offload?

Man, wish we had someone on the 21 July give an alternate account.

But still, clearly a 1 hour delay meant the matter would have been quite serious? I cannot think of an alternate reality?

*Alternate reality -> maybe pax was pissed off with the ISM / crew and demanded they apologise. Crew refused to do so. Pax did not want to take the seat until they got what they want. So standoff?*
Of course the July 21 date could be wrong....I'm just trying to match the flight dates and the aircraft.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
The post said 39D was right behind 21D that means it's a 33E. Checking flightradar B-LAN operated CX443 last July 21, 2018 and it was only CX443 that was delayed that day.

Do you mean CX 495 and B-LAX (I don't know if its 33E)
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Hi According to your attachment there was a more seriously delayed plane that day, CX495, and Flightradar said was operated by B-LAX, an A333, though do not know what seating configuration. The time delay looks about right.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:18 am

Thats weird because flightradar shows differently.

Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:21 am

From our own wiki....seems like LAN and LAX are both 33E

33E (A330-300 v2)

Aircraft: Airbus A330-300

Fleet size: 13

Configuration: J39/Y223 = 262 total

J class: Cirrus reverse herringbone (long-haul, lie-flat)

Y class: Cradle seats, introduced 2012

Note: J class section is identical to 33K

Seat Map: Cathay Pacific 33E Seat Map

Missing Windows: Below “Regular Operating routes” sectionFleet registrations
B-HLP^
B-HLR*
B-HLW
B-LAJ^
B-LAM^
B-LAN^
B-LAO^
B-LAR
B-LAX
B-LAZ
B-LBA
B-LBB
B-LBC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.