Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MPC Silver on Cathay Dragon flight - any benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*

I can get MPC Silver for a year (one time only) through my FoundersCard membership.

I will be flying one way with my wife on Cathay Dragon from HKG to BLR (Bangalore, India) next month on an award ticket booked with BA miles.

Will I get *any* benefit from being MPC Silver?

I'm guessing the answer is no, and that I should keep waiting to request the benefit until either I'm about to ditch FoundersCard (possibly soon) or I expect to be doing more significant flying on CP.

Related question - does "gifted" MPC Silver status always expire at the end of the year, or does it last 12 months from the date acquired?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:23 pm

Priority boarding, business check-in counters and priority bags.

You also get lounge access for yourself (not your wife).
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by huge
I can get MPC Silver for a year (one time only) through my FoundersCard membership.

I will be flying one way with my wife on Cathay Dragon from HKG to BLR (Bangalore, India) next month on an award ticket booked with BA miles.

Will I get *any* benefit from being MPC Silver?

I'm guessing the answer is no, and that I should keep waiting to request the benefit until either I'm about to ditch FoundersCard (possibly soon) or I expect to be doing more significant flying on CP.

Related question - does "gifted" MPC Silver status always expire at the end of the year, or does it last 12 months from the date acquired?
For Marco Polo Club Silver (MPO SL), the benefits on Cathay Pacific (CX) and Cathay Dragon (KA) are identical. In addition to what is stated above, you also get 10kg extra bag for yourself.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Thanks for both the quick and helpful replies.

It sounds like for one nonstop flight there's a minor (but non-trivial) benefit - more than I was expecting but not enough to get me super excited.

I just messaged FoundersCard and they said they they have an enrollment window at the beginning of every quarter, and outside that window it takes 4-6 weeks to process a request for status. Our flight is in exactly 4 weeks, so I think I'll hold off. I'll be kicking myself if I really need that extra 10kg.

[EDIT: Also - lounge access for me but not Mrs Huge? Ewww. We have Amex Plats anyway so hopefully we'll be able to crash a lounge somewhere]

thanks again
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by huge
Thanks for both the quick and helpful replies.

It sounds like for one nonstop flight there's a minor (but non-trivial) benefit - more than I was expecting but not enough to get me super excited.

I just messaged FoundersCard and they said they they have an enrollment window at the beginning of every quarter, and outside that window it takes 4-6 weeks to process a request for status. Our flight is in exactly 4 weeks, so I think I'll hold off. I'll be kicking myself if I really need that extra 10kg.

[EDIT: Also - lounge access for me but not Mrs Huge? Ewww. We have Amex Plats anyway so hopefully we'll be able to crash a lounge somewhere]

thanks again
Unlike most FFP that only grants lounge access to the second-level élite tier along with 1 guest, MPO SL is the first-level élite tier and comes with lounge access for the member himself as long as he is flying on CX or KA, whether the lounge is CX-operated or not. Guest benefit is granted for GO (Gold), the second-level élite tier.

To answer your other question from earlier, the membership should be valid for 12 months, ending next year at the end of the month you start. Calendar year is irrelevant to CX.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:09 pm

If you happen to redeem for MPO SL, it's worth checking out the CX Pier and Wing lounges. My first visit to these lounges was eye opening to say the least. It's an experience, especially if you grow accustomed to lounges in North America.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:03 am

So the question is what benefits are available, a question easily answered by a quick search. Some posters kindly answer the question anyway, and then the poster says he won't bother. To me it's not a massively respectful approach to others' time.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:30 am

I think you can use the lounge pass you get in GR to guest your wife to the lounge. MPC SL is basically a GO without OW benefits and guests.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by CX30616
I think you can use the lounge pass you get in GR to guest your wife to the lounge. MPC SL is basically a GO without OW benefits and guests.
If OP gets straight SL from another programme, he would not have the lounge pass from GR.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
So the question is what benefits are available, a question easily answered by a quick search. Some posters kindly answer the question anyway, and then the poster says he won't bother. To me it's not a massively respectful approach to others' time.
I'm sorry I offended you, but I'm very glad I posted the question, as I received very helpful replies that went above and beyond just answering my question. I'm very grateful to (and respectful of) the people who took their time to help me. Yes I probably could have found the T&C statement online but I was pretty confident (and, in hindsight, correctly so) that I would get better, clearer and more experience-based information by posting here. The fact that in the end I am not going to claim my year of MPC Silver for this trip in no way diminishes my respect and gratitude. The replies I got here will likely help me a second time whenever I do, in fact, claim my status year.
[/gushing gratitude]
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
If you happen to redeem for MPO SL, it's worth checking out the CX Pier and Wing lounges. My first visit to these lounges was eye opening to say the least. It's an experience, especially if you grow accustomed to lounges in North America.
Shoot - I just checked my Amex Plat list just in case those might be available to me, but of course no. I'll just have to make do with the Centurion lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.