Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Krug Champagne off my F flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GGL
Krug on CX250 yesterday, sadly every bottle was warm - not quite the same when you have to put ice cubes in it. Crew didn't seem at all bothered.
estnet likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AussieDreaming
Krug on CX250 yesterday, sadly every bottle was warm - not quite the same when you have to put ice cubes in it. Crew didn't seem at all bothered.
WHAT? Please complain about It. Since they dont serve krug as pre-boarding drink, there ought to be plenty of time to chill.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaka
WHAT? Please complain about It. Since they dont serve krug as pre-boarding drink,
They always have for me.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ijgordon
They always have for me.
Interestingly, last week I flew LAX-HKG in F. The SP in F served Deutz NV (J class Champagne) pre-boarding, and specifically said she wasn't opening the Tattinger Comes de Champagne 2006 because of "tax and duty reasons".

This was the first time I heard this excuse on CX, but I recall hearing it on other airlines before.

Last edited by QRC3288; Aug 15, 2017 at 10:23 pm Reason: Edited: think I've heard excuse on a few other airlines too
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AussieDreaming
That's the case on my recent flights too. Why was every champagne so warm? It takes at least an hour or so to get it at the right temperature.....
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Krug on CX 840 (HKG-JFK) yesterday (8/16). Menu applied to both evening departures to JFK (CX846) and looked to be in effect for all of August.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
No Krug in F HKG-LAX on 9 Aug

Clearly a cost-cutting measure when the Tattinger is 40% cheaper than the Krug.

Given the prices of F and/or the revenue generated by upgraders, its really penny-pinching.

Not to beat a dead-horse...but CX, SQ, and EK's attraction was their over the top service and luxury. If CX is becoming the same as AA/UA/etc then what's that say for them long-term.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
To the poster above, I'm cynical of CX too but....at least in Hong Kong and the US the price of both is similar? And in fact, in HK at least Krug NV is just so widespread and dare I say mass market luxury (deservedly so, it's lovely), that the Tattinger Comtes is a bit harder to find and not a bad change of pace. And Krug somewhat regularly comes on sale in Hong Kong with promotions so on average I'd say it's cheaper. I just scored a case of Krug for $1050 HKG/bottle (about $135 USD). I have to imagine CX can do much better. It has developed a following not just among people who like Champagne but with people who like to pretend they know Champagne.

I'm not as familiar with European or other markets but at least where I buy my wine in the US and in Hong Kong, the Tattinger is roughly equal price. And due to it not being as common, is sometimes more expensive. For example the merchant I buy from in the US can sell me Krug by the truckload at a set price and discount it for volume. I can only BID on lots of Tattinger Comtes.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
Just arrived off CX 251 (dep 17th Aug) and we had Krug. On the connecting flight 549 ex HND it was Tattinger
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
CX260 yesterday, we had Krug
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by pvgman
CX260 yesterday, we had Krug
Interesting. Was on CX260 departing 20th and also had Krug
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:33 am

We had plenty of krug on cx 807 ex-ORD.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
Oh my I never thought they would take Krug off of long haul F...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Krug served ex-JFK on CX 889 to YVR last night
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Interestingly, last week I flew LAX-HKG in F. The SP in F served Deutz NV (J class Champagne) pre-boarding, and specifically said she wasn't opening the Tattinger Comes de Champagne 2006 because of "tax and duty reasons".

This was the first time I heard this excuse on CX, but I recall hearing it on other airlines before.
They definitely do it on other airlines. AA I think doesn't even serve real Champagne for pre-departure; I believe it's often prosecco. (Not sure if they serve say the J Champs in F? Can't recall). And even JL serves neither the Salon or the Heidseick 1995 as PDB, it's the Delamotte from J. I can't remember AF either, but I don't think they opened the LP Cuvee Alexandra Rose on the ground. It's been too long for me on LH/LX/BA to remember that level of nuance... QF did serve Dom for predeparture (12 years ago! not sure why I remember that lol).

JL/AF somewhat understandable, you're talking $300-500+ bottles at retail, and a very limited supply catered to begin with.

But CX has always brought the bottle of Krug seat-side, most recently as June.
So yes, interesting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.