Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Routes included in upgrade bid trial: Adelaide, Amsterdam, Bangkok, Brisbane, Cebu, Chiang Mai, Chicago, Colombo, Denpasar (Bali), Dubai, Kathmandu, Rome and Seoul

https://upgrade.cathaypacific.com/offer/CathayPacific

2014 Enhance discussion thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1584763-cx-upgrade-bidding-discussion-experiences.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1819458-upgrade-bidding-coming-back.html
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Bid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by skye1
While CX says they consider Marco Polo elite status in "weighting" an upgrade bid, not sure if they consider an equivalent OWE status in that "weighting."

Not sure if the bidding software essentially lowers the minimum offer threshold closer to their "55 hours before departure" cut-off, but I might wait and see......
I believe MPO members only. I haven't seen anything stating that OW elites get any preference.

As far as I've seen, prices don't change as you get closer to departure. The $895 min bid on AKL I mentioned was less than a day prior to T-55 cut-off (basically the same as the 680 GBP you're seeing now).

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Monitoring this thread is like watching a fascinatingly bizarre science experiment..... what the hell????

These bid prices sound crazy!

And you don't even get extra miles or CP for the upgrade bid? Am I missing something? Why wouldn't you just buy the upfare?
I have literally no idea. The whole thing is being priced poorly. From what I've seen, CX generally has fairly unsophisticated pricing segmentation and they don't appear to do a very good job with maximizing revenue. The fact that their J cabins are often not full shows that they are not good at maximizing incremental revenue. They'd be far better off selling those unsold seats to PE pax for $200-$500 upgrade fees (and in turn selling those vacated PE seats to Y pax for cheap). Instead they do op-ups, which earn nothing. A bit foolish to leave money on the table like that, imo.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Monitoring this thread is like watching a fascinatingly bizarre science experiment..... what the hell????

These bid prices sound crazy!

And you don't even get extra miles or CP for the upgrade bid? Am I missing something? Why wouldn't you just buy the upfare?
For me, the price difference between PE and Biz for my entire itinerary was too great, and the LHR - HKG segment on it isn't available for upgrade. It's a first time for me with CX, so still finding my feet as to how they work. Not sure they'd grant an upfare to just one segment of an itinerary, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: MPC CXGO, IHG RA
Just booked a return Y flight SYD-HKG-PEK, all in V.
I thought it would not be eligible for upgrade bid but they actually invited me to bid for both SYD-HKG and HKG-SYD leg.

Minimum bid is AUD$340 and AUD$500 for strong offer strength. Which seems to be quite reasonable compare to other upgrade bid amount in previous threads.

Btw price difference between PEY and Y on my flight as I checked today is around AUD$1300.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
my dad (who I dont have any control of for his travels) successfully got upgrade bid for an HKG-MAN E class trip. He bid 12,040 for one way upgrade on the outbound. (original price 16,xxx round trip. I think J was around 40k)

Oh well, I'm telling him he can get a whole ticket for that price courtesy of AS, but of course yes now you know there are people that are okay with these prices!!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
my dad (who I dont have any control of for his travels) successfully got upgrade bid for an HKG-MAN E class trip. He bid 12,040 for one way upgrade on the outbound. (original price 16,xxx round trip. I think J was around 40k)

Oh well, I'm telling him he can get a whole ticket for that price courtesy of AS, but of course yes now you know there are people that are okay with these prices!!
Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t that mean that he paid pretty much exactly the fare difference between E and I? I take it you asked him why he didn’t just book a business class ticket outright?
kaka and fairhsa like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH HON
I missed the cut off date for a bid. Any chance to still ask for an upgrade (paid) at an outstation like FRA? F3 A3 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 doesn't look very busy tho.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: FB Gold
Interesting upgrade bid story: I bid for both legs of EWR-HKG-TPE. Did not get the long-haul upgrade bid into Y+ ; not surprised as Expertflyer showed a full load. However, I wanted to try Y+ even on a shorter haul, so put in, and got accepted 100 $US for the HKG-TPE stretch.

But due to the weather snafu, I got notice during my long-haul flight that the A350 for the HKG-TPE stretch was swapped for a 772 w/o Y+. So I correctly surmised that I got into J........which is exactly what happened when I asked for my new board card at the gate @HKG.

First time in J internationally........I loved it !
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:56 am

Are upgrade bids open to all tickets or some classes? what about awards? thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:11 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Are upgrade bids open to all tickets or some classes? what about awards? thanks.
If I redeem my flight using Asia Miles, will I be eligible to make an offer to upgrade?
Asia Miles redemption bookings are not eligible for upgrades via Upgrade Bid.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...questions.html
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Thanks, Percy.

But I wonder why I received no offers to bid when I purchased tickets ?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:07 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Thanks, Percy.

But I wonder why I received no offers to bid when I purchased tickets ?
There are several different factors that may restrict your eligibility to make an offer to upgrade, including but not limited to:
  • The flight is not currently accepting offers
  • No seat availability on the next higher cabin class
  • Your ticket has not been issued
  • Your booking is not confirmed yet
  • Your flight is not operated by Cathay Pacific Airways
  • The flight you are travelling on is not open for Upgrade Bid
  • Your ticket was purchased and/or issued in the following countries: China or India (These markets are currently not available for Upgrade Bid due to technical reasons)

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...igibility.html
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
I flew from Manila to Hong Kong last Monday and a few weeks before the flight, I saw offers to bid for upgrade from economy to premium economy, lowest being 80USD and highest bid being 260USD. I did not bid since I thought it was not worth it for a short flight. During the flight, I saw that there were only a few seats taken in PE and they also got the same food as in economy.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
I flew from Manila to Hong Kong last Monday and a few weeks before the flight, I saw offers to bid for upgrade from economy to premium economy, lowest being 80USD and highest bid being 260USD. I did not bid since I thought it was not worth it for a short flight. During the flight, I saw that there were only a few seats taken in PE and they also got the same food as in economy.
Interesting... CX has a habit of op-upping their elites on this route very often.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
Wow that is an awful price!

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Interesting... CX has a habit of op-upping their elites on this route very often.
Yea, the logic makes sense....but the price is idiotic. J class on the route round trip isn't that expensive yet the computer recommends a ~$250 round-trip extra charge for Y to PEY? Comedy
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
Wow that is an awful price!

Yea, the logic makes sense....but the price is idiotic. J class on the route round trip isn't that expensive yet the computer recommends a ~$250 round-trip extra charge for Y to PEY? Comedy
Funny indeed! I made 3 work trips (6 sectors) to MNL from HKG already since January and I could say that I have never sat in Economy while on an M/L/V-ticket for all of them... That route is a goldmine for op-ups!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.