Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Routes included in upgrade bid trial: Adelaide, Amsterdam, Bangkok, Brisbane, Cebu, Chiang Mai, Chicago, Colombo, Denpasar (Bali), Dubai, Kathmandu, Rome and Seoul

https://upgrade.cathaypacific.com/offer/CathayPacific

2014 Enhance discussion thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1584763-cx-upgrade-bidding-discussion-experiences.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1819458-upgrade-bidding-coming-back.html
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Bid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Interesting... CX has a habit of op-upping their elites on this route very often.
When we came to the lounge, we were asked if we wanted to be on the waitlist for the earlier flight but since we wanted to stay longer in the lounge, we declined. I heard the agents asked a lot of passengers arriving in the lounge if they were interested in taking the earlier flight and I guess at least 5 were moved to the earlier flight in the end (and probably got upgraded). Had they not been put to the earlier flight, I guess my flight would have been overbooked in Y and I would have been upgraded to Premium Economy
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Interesting... CX has a habit of op-upping their elites on this route very often.
Indeed. I got an op-up on CX906 from PE to J two weeks ago (A359). The flight had pretty high loads overall (with Y completely full, obviously). I've also experienced a good op-up percentage on BOS-HKG, but 0% on the reverse.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Upgrade bid from Y-J for HKG-PVG and back.

Starts at HK$2000 per sector and suggested HK$3800.

Are these guys crazy? It's cheaper to buy a straight business class ticket than to bid on upgrade and when upgrading through this system you don't even get the points. Who would ever pay such ridiculous prices? I've used upgrade bid systems before when prices are reasonable. In the past I've paid around HK$7000 for J-F upgrade LHR-HKG on BA (you get points also for upgraded class), and I've paid around HK$1000 for KUL-HKG on MH. But what Cathay is asking is insane.

Ironically, I will probably pay nothing and get op-up anyway on at least one of these flights.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by midlevels
Upgrade bid from Y-J for HKG-PVG and back.

Starts at HK$2000 per sector and suggested HK$3800.

Are these guys crazy? It's cheaper to buy a straight business class ticket than to bid on upgrade and when upgrading through this system you don't even get the points. Who would ever pay such ridiculous prices? I've used upgrade bid systems before when prices are reasonable. In the past I've paid around HK$7000 for J-F upgrade LHR-HKG on BA (you get points also for upgraded class), and I've paid around HK$1000 for KUL-HKG on MH. But what Cathay is asking is insane.

Ironically, I will probably pay nothing and get op-up anyway on at least one of these flights.
It takes 20000 miles for a round trip Y-J for the PVG route. If the equivalence is HK$4000-$7600, each AM is worth HK$0.20-0.38 (Wow!!). I won't do it, but perhaps somebody will. I guess if the price is right, they may even considering downgrading a revenue J passenger for an upgrade bid.

As a GO, it may not too easy for you to get op-up on this route though
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
As a GO, it may not too easy for you to get op-up on this route though
It's happened before a few times. Guess I got lucky. But yes, I know the DM quotient on this sector is very high.

When boarding flights to/from PVG it always seems like the priority boarding queue is longer than the economy class queue...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by midlevels
It's happened before a few times. Guess I got lucky. But yes, I know the DM quotient on this sector is very high.

When boarding flights to/from PVG it always seems like the priority boarding queue is longer than the economy class queue...
I haven't been upgraded on PVG flights for several years already, even when I was still a DM.

When I boarded a PEK flight 10 or 15 years ago, the elite line was long. For some unknown reasons, there was nobody at the regular Y line. I went through the Y boarding although I was a DM. Things changed. They now always board the elites before Y. So even when the priority boarding queue is longer, passengers in that queue still board before those in the Y queue.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Got an email for upgrade bidding for HKG-TPE RT for next weekend - I thought this was more of a closer-to-check-in type of thing?

In any case, as a data point:

HKG-TPE (Y -> PEY) - 600 to 2000 HKD (+70 HKD tax)
TPE-HKG (Y -> J) - 2000 to 5600 HKD (no other fees)

Considering that J roundtrip is only HKD3450 on those same dates...?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kawaii
Got an email for upgrade bidding for HKG-TPE RT for next weekend - I thought this was more of a closer-to-check-in type of thing?

Ha another great one. We should just have a thread about anecdotes of CX and KA's bizarre upgrade bid price points. They are really something amazing.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by kawaii

I would say $600 Y-> PEY is ok for me, but others... just a joke. Really does someone bid upgrade at such prices?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
FWIW, I got a double op-up on the HKG-TPE leg from Y to J so I'm guessing no one actually bid and that's why they had to do so many op-ups. :P
Old May 5, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt
I wonder if upgrade bid affects upgrade award availability and if one is stacked on top and cannibalizes the other's availability. Upgrade bid definitely affects instant upgrade at the airport as it's confirmed 48hrs before dep.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:29 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Given the prices they are charging for this, I don’t think upgrade bid is affecting much at all.
percysmith likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
Data point
NGB - HKG (Y-->J): 2000 to 5600 HKD. A 'fair' chance of upgrades starts at 2585 HKD, and its sliding scale operates in 15 HKD increments.

Last edited by fishball; May 22, 2018 at 7:10 am
Old May 22, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Recently received an invitation to upgrade my flights to SIN. I was flying MNL-HKG-SIN RT. For the MNL-HKG sector the fair chance costs about US$485 for Y to J upgrade, while HKG-SIN sectors was at US$865+11 per way again for Y to J upgrade. What doesn't make any sense is if I sum all the cost, it would be more expensive than buying an I class RT ticket
Old May 23, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
HKG-ICN-HKG: Far bid from PE to J starts at $600. Upper end is $1150 Hmmm... Just might put in a bid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.