Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay v JAL on 4h30 Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
That is incorrect. If your source is AusBT, @djsflynn is wrong on this.
FWIW, we never said that JAL's entire long-haul fleet would be upgraded to the SkySuite III – we only reported what JAL announced on June 22 2017, as per below:

"JAL today announced that the JAL SKY SUITE 787 family will welcome a new cabin configuration for its Boeing 787-9. The new JAL SKY SUITE 787-9 (SS9 II) will be operated on the Tokyo (Narita) = Kuala Lumpur route (JL723/JL724) starting the end of July 2017, and progressively expanded onto the other international routes.
Business Class will be retrofitted with the latest highly-reputed fully-flat seat "JAL SKY SUITE III," which was installed on the JAL SKY SUITE 777 aircraft (Boeing 777-200ER) last June. In addition to further expanding fully-flat Business Class seat service to meet robust corporate demand on medium- and long-haul international routes, more seats will be available in Business Class than the current Boeing 787-9."
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:21 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by djsflynn
FWIW, we never said that JAL's entire long-haul fleet would be upgraded to the SkySuite III – we only reported what JAL announced on June 22 2017, as per below:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/japan-airli...-sky-suite-iii

These are the same business class seats which made their debut on JAL's long-range Boeing 777-200ER in mid-2016, and they'll work their way across the Boeing 777 and older Boeing 767 fleet as well as sweeping through both the 787-9 Dreamliners – the latter of which fly the Sydney-Tokyo route and, from September, Melbourne-Tokyo.
But the article says the seat will be retrofitted across 777, 767 and 787 (both 789 and 788 since NRT-MEL will be operated by 788).
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:43 am

But the article says the seat will be retrofitted across 777, 767 and 787 (both 789 and 788 since NRT-MEL will be operated by 788).
Well I'll be buggered – you're 100% right, that par should clearly not have been in the article based on the JAL statement alone. I just went back through emails to check if this had come from my JAL PR contact by way of further info, but nothing there either, and the heading and lede cite the 787s rather than anything broader – so this may have been a remnant par from an earlier draft which missed an edit-out. A 'mea maxima culpa' on this one!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Well I'll be buggered – you're 100% right, that par should clearly not have been in the article based on the JAL statement alone. I just went back through emails to check if this had come from my JAL PR contact by way of further info, but nothing there either, and the heading and lede cite the 787s rather than anything broader – so this may have been a remnant par from an earlier draft which missed an edit-out. A 'mea maxima culpa' on this one!
Yours is not the only publication to say they will be extending it to the rest of the fleet.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by 1010101
Yours is not the only publication to say they will be extending it to the rest of the fleet.
Just like many English sites including CAPA claim JL will retrofit the NEO seat fitted 787-8 fleet with SKY SUITE few years ago, all of them are wrong. JL said there were no plans at that time to retrofit the fleet when SKY SUITE 787 was first announced, and up till now none of the 787-8 with NEO seats have been retrofitted.

A lot of times the English sites got it wrong on JL news. And even JL got its own English press releases/website wrong quite often. E.g. the English version uses the word "retrofit" while the Japanese indicates this will be a 2nd configuration on top of the existing more spacious SS9 one, and more recently Japanese version of website states there's no shower facilities for non-status Y passengers on HND-LHR at the lounge but the English site states there will be shower facilities. And we all know which version is the correct one and JL has since made the correction on its website.

Anyway, for HND-HKG, yes CX has a more spacious seat than JL. But when sxc made a generic statement on the seat itself, I just want to clarify the JL seat is mainly (and so far only) used on regional flights, while the CX one was designed for long-haul flights. That might explain the tighter seat design JL chose.

Last edited by JALPak; Jul 19, 2017 at 3:45 am
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1010101
Toilet and cupboard v galley and cupboard. There's not a huge amount of difference.
It's enough to matter.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:10 pm

Anyway, for HND-HKG, yes CX has a more spacious seat than JL. But when sxc made a generic statement on the seat itself, I just want to clarify the JL seat is mainly (and so far only) used on regional flights, while the CX one was designed for long-haul flights. That might explain the tighter seat design JL chose.
JL26/29 Vs CX542/543, I stay in JAL for sure. JAL near guaranteed using SS2 cabin but CX just so-so regional config cabin.

Although CX543 meal is up-lifted from HND, catering quality should far better than afternoon leg CX549. At least just tried CX595, meal is up-lifted from KIX, far better than CX507 which using double catering from HKG.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by rickywk
JL26/29 Vs CX542/543, I stay in JAL for sure. JAL near guaranteed using SS2 cabin but CX just so-so regional config cabin.

Although CX543 meal is up-lifted from HND, catering quality should far better than afternoon leg CX549. At least just tried CX595, meal is up-lifted from KIX, far better than CX507 which using double catering from HKG.
But JL ex-HKG catering isn't that great either IMHO.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:39 pm

But JL ex-HKG catering isn't that great either IMHO.
Better than CX ex-HKG regional meal

*This is seafood special meal, but I noticed normal meal also not bad
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by rickywk
Better than CX ex-HKG regional meal

*This is seafood special meal, but I noticed normal meal also not bad
Doesn't look appetizing for sure compared to the usual JL meals
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:54 pm

Doesn't look appetizing for sure compared to the usual JL meals
At least I can finished all, sometime I cannot finished all in CX regional J.

Here is up-lifted from KIX, quality far better than those double catering
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:12 pm

FYI, JL will upgrade JL735/736 (NRT-HKG) to 787-9 with SKY SUITE and PY cabin will be added to that route from Dec 1 (Dec 2 for ex-HKG). So product wise it is superior to the JL029/026 (HND-HKG) after the upgrade.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Good to see competition game-upping given CX is going to 'guarantee' 4-class 77H on the same route with (somewhat) similar timing!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Good to see competition game-upping given CX is going to 'guarantee' 4-class 77H on the same route with (somewhat) similar timing!
py means the end of y-c opup. Nth else.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by kaka
py means the end of y-c opup. Nth else.
An opup from Y to PE is almost as good as a Y to Regional J IME. And it also means the very comfortable cradle seats instead of those dreaded hard shell Y seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.