Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay v JAL on 4h30 Flight

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
Just giving the data to OP so OP can make an informed decision. Personally JL cabin from time to time is a bit too cold for me
Just inform the crew and being owe they may tweek the temperature
Old May 14, 2017, 11:08 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka
i dont see how cx 77w has a better cabin than jl anything.
cx has a better schedule, but besides that they are fairly equal.
unless you really enjoy being called by the name and get offered bad food, you dont have to fly cx. But you have the option. Have any star points? Mom said ana was better than cx in every single way except for frequency.
Well, if you want the FA to bend over backwards to stroke your ego, then CX is better.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Well, if you want the FA to bend over backwards to stroke your ego, then CX is better.
that would depend if u get a foreign based fa, or mk

but mind you, the mk based crew is indifferently cold
Old May 14, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
what is mk?
Old May 14, 2017, 11:37 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

At least you have a much higher chance on CX for that. It's essentially zero chance on JL if you want those over the top special treatments.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:04 am

i dont see how cx 77w has a better cabin than jl anything.
cx has a better schedule, but besides that they are fairly equal.
unless you really enjoy being called by the name and get offered bad food, you dont have to fly cx. But you have the option. Have any star points? Mom said ana was better than cx in every single way except for frequency.
Well its the same cabin if its the flatbed JL26 you're comparing against. Otherwise I prefer the Cirrus seat to Sky Suite 1 & 2 or any of the regional seats.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Assuming OP is a foreigner my guess is that CX IFE will appeal to them greatly over what JL has on offer. Also, while I haven't tried it, I remember some FTers reporting the JL Sky suite 2 offered on the HND-HKG route being not as spacious as CX cirrus. Don't forget mini cabin on the 77W which will make a great ride.

It seems that you regard all young HK crew as MK. This I won't argue (no, I would hate if CX crew became as 'disciplined' or old-school as JL) but for someone that speaks the local language many times the service offered by HK crew is the most personal, genuine and fantastic I have ever, ever had, even for junior crew in less personable cabins like PEY. I think most people here expect them to be your servants but no its now 2010s and cabin crew indeed are here primarily for your safety. Absolutely 100% convinced that they live up to their job expectations for the CX HK crew. Again, the reason why I love CX crew (especially HK based) is because they are like your family/brother/sisters rather than servants (or worse case, like robots/invisible on like US or EU airlines) But again, not sure if OP is a foreigner, moot case in general if so.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Thank you all.

It looks like it might be CX on the way to Tokyo (afternoon is better for me), but on the way back I'm definitely considering JL, based on your replies.

The thing is - I need to be in Japan on August 21st for a big sports event, until the 27th. Flights to Japan from Europe that time of the year are incredibly expensive (we're talking €900 for an economy class ticket!) so I'm seriously considering taking the QR business class offer to Thailand for the same price. From Thailand I'd then stop for a meeting in HKG and fly from there.

Crazy, I know. But I'd rather spend those 900 for QR J to Thailand than AB economy to Japan I believe many would do the same haha
Old May 15, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
JL offers premium Economy on HND-HKG, long before CX introduced that class of service. And it has wi-fi too. So IFE is not a sure win for CX depending on what you want.
I hadn't realised JL introduced PEY before CX. Perhaps because when flying JL up to Tokyo it was JL736 on a 767 and looking for PEY fares on to the US as there was no PEY on that flight a PEY itinerary never came up. I just looked up today and see it has gone to a 788, which is definitely nice in Y and PEY, and the business class looks very good.

It's an award redemption, OP will have no problem of seat selection with JL system.
Perhaps it is me! But I have found it a nightmare trying to sort out on several occasions (AA codeshare on JL flight), and even talking to the reservations to try and sort out I have found AA trying to be helpful but not achieving anything while talking to JL they have not be helpful at all, and the last time downright misleading. If anyone knows how to overcome this, I will be eternally (well almost) grateful.

I personally like the afternoon timing as it usually means less HKG tourists on your flight and I can avoid the morning rush to HKG and the evening rush hours in TYO. To me going on a trip is more about relaxing instead of trying to squeeze out every single min in your destination.
Unfortunately for me it is business. Now though I try and fly into another centre in Japan and have a couple days there and then go from there on to Tokyo on business, or visa-versa. Last time I went to Miyajima. Even in the wet it was beautiful.

Though I prefer to take morning flights up to Tokyo in order to have time for a good evening dinner, and return on the Saturday morning on the CX flight from Haneda so can have a drink and meal with clients on the Friday evening.

Last edited by Nicc HK; May 15, 2017 at 2:02 am
Old May 15, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: CX DM, A3 Gold
Don't have high expectation on food on either airlines. Ex-HKG meals on JL are not up to the JL standard at all.
My only bad meal with JL is this one time 736 exHKG morning flight, the main was borderline edible.

The only flight I want to take with CX exHKG is 548 to HND, much prefer HND than NRT if staying in Tokyo and the guarantee long haul product, but the breakfast food is pretty boring as usual.

JL offer consistent product after the 767 is gone from HKG (the J seat was very tight in width). Now both flights with long haul product, 788 with lie flat and 772 with reverse herringbone (it is indeed tighter than CX cirrus). Both are very adequate for a 4 hour flight.

CX provide better recognition to DM and OWE, but JL in general is attentive and professional to everyone.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:02 am
Suspended

I just giggled out above re everyone on jl gets pampered vs ome/dm gets extra pampered. Certainly it isnt servant-ish but jl treats everyone equally well (much better than cx unless ur dm/owe)

codeshares are problematic but awards are never codeshares. With some OW status you just call JAL and seats will be allocated well. Im not sure about 0 status nonetheless.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Certainly, both can JL and CX can be considered excellent - we are down to splitting hairs if comparing to BA.

Couple of other minor considerations:
- Surcharges for JL using BAEC Avios can be higher than CX
- Taking CX from TYO-HKG will get you into the Arrivals lounge in HKG
Old May 15, 2017, 4:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Certainly, both can JL and CX can be considered excellent - we are down to splitting hairs if comparing to BA.

the diff is 3gbp. I would let that be the deciding factor lol

you'll get much better sake/shochu on jl too. Probably wine also if thats a concern.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak

No arrivals lounge if I take JL on TYO-HKG?

My idea as of now would be: CX on the HKG-TYO and JL on the TYO-HKG
Old May 15, 2017, 5:14 am

JL now use 787 for their NRT-HKG route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.