Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific posts worst results since 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific posts worst results since 2008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I thought the Bloomberg article was lacking. They didn't really go into why CX has high costs.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:57 am

Hong Kong is not a big enough market to support a major international airlines without significant number of transit passengers (same with Singapore). With competition at both ends (mainland Chinese carriers and ME3), they'll continue to bleed. CX lost money on fuel hedging but that's a one-time issue. Its problem is long term.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
What customers want is not what necessarily the most profitable course for the airline.

In fact it's frequently the opposite - 10-abreast is one good example. Unbundling (BoB, luggage fees) another.
No you misunderstood.

First, when you change a plane's configuration, there are investments that you have to fund. By change 9 abreast to 10 abreast, you have firstly to order the seats, cost millions;

Second, during retrofit, you have literally rewire the whole aft section of the plane, due to added in flight PTV requirement, cost millions;

Third, once you start to retrofit, you have to take each plane out of service for 14 to 21 days. Cost lost revenue, millions;

Fourth, you fly to the plane to HAECO, to do the retrofit, cost millions;

Fifth, after you added many seats in the plane, you will have to sell these seats, otherwise your yield suffers. What is worse, if you added all these seats and can only sell they at the cheapest price that Air China/China Eastern/United/...etc can charge, your PRASM is going to be ugly. In the mean time you loose core customers as they feel the brand is going down hill...another few millions here and there.

It is easy to do by adding more seats you can compete with the lowest priced rival, but the economic impact on an airline is difficult to measure until it is proven. At this moment, CX needs to refrain to commit to big project that will cost the airline millions. Current it is a peak of an airline cycle, when travel demand fall within one year or two, CX will suffer even further when its competitor aggressively price the bottom. CX has a higher cost base and the smart thing to do is to maintain the revenue per seats rather than lower the PRASM by adding more seats so they it can match the revenue by lowering the price.

It is wise to conserve cash at the peak of the market and (so that it can) be aggressive at the bottom of the market. CX is missing its chance in this decade by entering scandalous fuel hedge.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by chongcao
First, when you change a plane's configuration, there are investments that you have to fund. By change 9 abreast to 10 abreast, you have firstly to order the seats, cost millions;

Second, during retrofit, you have literally rewire the whole aft section of the plane, due to added in flight PTV requirement, cost millions;

Well I think the remaining hard shells and even some of the earlier cradles could go.

BTW investment in seats is not a one-time charge into the P&L - you depreciate over time. Sure old seats might be fully depreciated but then you have to think about how many inoperable seats and safety issues you can reasonably take.

Third, once you start to retrofit, you have to take each plane out of service for 14 to 21 days. Cost lost revenue, millions;
Not if you do it in slack season.
Really when serving PRC and HK tourist traffic you're just coping with surge demand.
You have to keep up frequencies to business destinations, true
But you can cut all those extra frequencies to OKA DPS and CTS, and maybe even make them less than daily.

Fifth, after you added many seats in the plane, you will have to sell these seats, otherwise your yield suffers. What is worse, if you added all these seats and can only sell they at the cheapest price that Air China/China Eastern/United/...etc can charge, your PRASM is going to be ugly. In the mean time you loose core customers as they feel the brand is going down hill...another few millions here and there.

It is easy to do by adding more seats you can compete with the lowest priced rival, but the economic impact on an airline is difficult to measure until it is proven. At this moment, CX needs to refrain to commit to big project that will cost the airline millions. Current it is a peak of an airline cycle, when travel demand fall within one year or two, CX will suffer even further when its competitor aggressively price the bottom. CX has a higher cost base and the smart thing to do is to maintain the revenue per seats rather than lower the PRASM by adding more seats so they it can match the revenue by lowering the price.
CX doesn't have to sell every seat all the time. It's just to cope with surge demand.

There's nothing stopping CX from selling a 398-seat 10-abreast plane as a 358 in low season and keeping prices as before. So nothing will be changed from before. And passengers won't be too upset because they find empty seats.

It's in peak season where the 40 extra seats will be pure profit for CX.

It is wise to conserve cash at the peak of the market and (so that it can) be aggressive at the bottom of the market. CX is missing its chance in this decade by entering scandalous fuel hedge.
With $20B liquid funds do you think CX is short of cash to make investments in hardware http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...142.pdf#page=9 ? It's not AZ.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 15, 2017 at 10:50 am
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
No you misunderstood.

While not totally similar to CX ... an example could be seen with what the previous owners of Philippine Airlines (PR) did when they introduced 'new' cabins and 'enhancements' trying to compete with Cebu Pacific and Air Asia which are LCCs.

Long-haul business class cabin with no IFE (only small iPad minis with no holder), 'PEY' that was only 3-4 inches of pitch difference vs. Y (with exorbitant premiums for the market), Y and PEY had no IFE at all... and the list goes on.

In the end they could not compete with the LCC model as a legacy carrier, and the previous owner sold it back to one he bought it from since it was bleeding revenue as premium passengers switched over to SQ/CX/NH/JL/DL/BR, etc... Y passengers could not be relied on as competition could sell seats at Php 1.00 (USD 0.02) + taxes for all routes while the lowest they sold theirs was at Php 75.00 as a one off sale during their anniversary but typical 'sale' fares are closer to USD 20.00 for short haul and USD 200 for regional.

The new owner is now trying to revive the airline by re-designing the cabins again to a 1-2-1 J product (which it plans to launch to regional routes and if prices stay the same could add additional hurt to CX) and enhanced Y 2-4-2 with a dedicated PEY cabin in a 2-3-2 config.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/0...-with-details/
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Well I think the remaining hard shells and even some of the earlier cradles could go.

BTW investment in seats is not a one-time charge into the P&L - you depreciate over time. Sure old seats might be fully depreciated but then you have to think about how many inoperable seats and safety issues you can reasonably take.

Not if you do it in slack season.
Really when serving PRC and HK tourist traffic you're just coping with surge demand.
You have to keep up frequencies to business destinations, true
But you can cut all those extra frequencies to OKA DPS and CTS, and maybe even make them less than daily.

CX doesn't have to sell every seat all the time. It's just to cope with surge demand.

There's nothing stopping CX from selling a 398-seat 10-abreast plane as a 358 in low season and keeping prices as before. So nothing will be changed from before. And passengers won't be too upset because they find empty seats.

It's in peak season where the 40 extra seats will be pure profit for CX.

With $20B liquid funds do you think CX is short of cash to make investments in hardware http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...142.pdf#page=9 ? It's not AZ.
Your whole discussion forgot one thing: Assumption that more seats will bring down cost per seat per km, but revenue per seat per km i.e. yield will remains, which is impossible. And given the current falling trend yield will only fall faster than cost per seat per km...

Also don't ever think $20B cash is a lot... Quite a portion of which is prepayment for service yet to be rendered...
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:50 am
Suspended

Ah could you tell me how much cash AA had before declare bankruptcy and how much cash Enron had...

As sscywong said, you have to pay attention to PRASM as well as the yield. By adding seats while not matching the demand, you would have routes that is 100% full while marginal routes like Dusseldorf, Barcelona to drag the overall yields down. You have to remember while CX is adding seats as well as adding planes, while virtually all other Asian carriers are adding more wide-body planes. Air China just added 30 B787 which would be delivered in next 5 years. There are over capacity building in Transpacific market and Euro-Asia market. Unfortunately CX will face competition in all directions. If you add seats in an environment that everybody is adding capacity you will have to sell these excessive capacity in a market rate since your USP and your brand image is gone. The end result: lower yields, lower PRASM, lower profit. And the whole airline can be destroyed if the market became unfavourable (i.e. sudden drop of demand like SARS or Chinese airline improved in both product and service). As I said I think we are in the peak of aviation market for this decade, it is unwise to corner yourself into a position that you have to compromise PRASM and future earnings when you are bleeding money. Stop the conversion programme of B777 would save CX money in short term which could boost investor confidence. Stop the conversion programme of B777 could also save CX in the long term as CX could not compete on price due to higher cost.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:53 am

When CX threw down money to install "new" regional J, you know they will be in trouble soon.

They are doing everything they can to compete with LCC in hard and soft products but price.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by seawolf
I thought the Bloomberg article was lacking. They didn't really go into why CX has high costs.
No surprise. Their newsrooms, and CNBC junk next door, have been lacking for a while. Gotta love those "revenue based" FF Mile programs though---no one's paying.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: gate lice
Exactly. CX is a pretty tough time ahead, especially with the premium market. U.S. carriers are rolling out all-aisle-access flatbeds. I can see UA taking more chunks out of Cathay's ORD, JFK, and EWR market share when Polaris is rolled out. CX has top-notch lounges, but I've heard pretty good things about UA's new lounge as well.

There's also geopolitical volatility with 45's administration, not to mention nationalism in Europe.

I think the Bloomberg article fails to distinguish between premium and Y cabins -- it does nothing to address the fact that Cathay F and J are overpriced in a market where competitors are catching up, and premium cabins is where a good chunk of revenue comes from.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA: EXP / AS:MVP75k / Hilton: Gold / Marriott Gold
A friend of mine sent me a link to this. I was very surprised!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by leungy18
CX blamed weak passenger demand, especially in premium cabins, in an analysis mid-2016.

Is it just me, or does CX charge insane prices for F and J classes? I can understand that CX can charge a premium as a reputable airline with plenty of nonstops to HKG and a focus on business travelers. But 27k USD for round-trip transpacific in F or 9k in J seems overkill, especially when UA charges 5k for J. Not to mention the less-than-satisfactory CX J food I read about on this forum.
It is not just you - CX does charge insane prices in J for a product that is much less differentiated versus its competition than (say) 5 years ago. Big price gap for a small product improvement = weak passenger demand.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:29 pm

I flew Singapore to SIN a few years ago and CX charged almost 5-800 US additional!

I got a better product on SQ's A380 and medium-haul 772ER. Not necessarily the seats as I kinda prefer CX's cirrus over the SQ A380 seats. But the food was better so was the price.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I wonder what the impact of the Marco Polo Club changes have been? While probably too early as not a full year since the changes, the loss of solid (though not high value for those who do not value the Y+/Y Diamonds) and reliable member must now be feeding through.

Whereas each year I used to fly 20-25 times with CX I have not set foot on a CX place since last August, and cannot see my next flight on CX unless I do a redemption booking.

Definitely would hope the Treasury Department has been smartened up though.

Nicc
Well this DM member's changes in response to the MPC changes have fed through already. Of my 8 long hauls this year only 2 were booked in CX. They get about 2 in 3 of my regional flights, with SQ getting the rest.

I am no longer a good customer as the long hauls are in J but the regional flights are in Y. So they're losing the most profitable revenues yet retaining the costs of me being DM.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Or..get back to the basics..1) improve the product, 2) incentivise the customers- especially the best ones- to bring business back, and 3) have a leadership that inspires the team. Small bits on all, though admittedly hard-work...harder work than a) changing the menu design and claiming F&B improvements, b) paying a cheap consultant for a bad copy paste job, c) an all hype, no concrete takeaway strategy session

Basically the opposite of what's been going on- cutbacks when competition is improving, kicking the loyal base in the backside, and a leader who inspires antagonism from pretty much all stakeholders, continuing at the helm..
Well said! I'm one of those customers who's business is there to bring back - so far CX has lost 6 out of 8 long hauls in J from me this year to AA, BA, MH and QR. That would not have happened 5 years ago, especially with AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.