Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific posts worst results since 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific posts worst results since 2008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Most of us are businessmen here, and in management. When it come down to layman's terms, there's two ways to manage revenue/cost ratio.

1) Cut back on quality, service - fastest way to cut down on cost, and make the book look better. Obvious drawback - you lose high-spending clients that values quality, but gain lower-spending clients that values low expenditures. Risk: revenues from gained lower-spending clients is less than revenues loss from alienated higher-spending clients.

2) Invest in quality, service - short-term you make the problem worse. Long-term you hope to win higher-spending clients, but at the risk of losing some lower-spending clients. Risk: revenues from gained higher-spending clients is less than revenues loss from alienated lower-spending clients.

So really there's no "sure way" of making money (or else all of us would be billionaires), but I outlined this to show that option 1 and 2 are very different business mentalities on how would one sees itself, and sees its role in the market. Option 1: LCC, quantity-based. Option 2: Luxury, quality-based.

Unfortunately, we know Cathay has opted for option 1, and despite its marketing, is degenerating into the realm of LCC.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:00 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
1) Cut back on quality, service - fastest way to cut down on cost, and make the book look better. Obvious drawback - you lose high-spending clients that values quality, but gain lower-spending clients that values low expenditures. Risk: revenues from gained lower-spending clients is less than revenues loss from alienated higher-spending clients.

2) Invest in quality, service - short-term you make the problem worse. Long-term you hope to win higher-spending clients, but at the risk of losing some lower-spending clients. Risk: revenues from gained higher-spending clients is less than revenues loss from alienated lower-spending clients.
There's also 3) Reduce frequency and cut tourist routes and anything not profitable on a stand-alone basis or not contributing to network connectivity. However this means abandoning HKG slot hogging and CX may be reluctant to do this.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
Most of us are businessmen here, and in management. When it come down to layman's terms, there's two ways to manage revenue/cost ratio.

So really there's no "sure way" of making money (or else all of us would be billionaires), but I outlined this to show that option 1 and 2 are very different business mentalities on how would one sees itself, and sees its role in the market. Option 1: LCC, quantity-based. Option 2: Luxury, quality-based.

Unfortunately, we know Cathay has opted for option 1, and despite its marketing, is degenerating into the realm of LCC.
Originally Posted by percysmith
There's also 3) Reduce frequency and cut tourist routes and anything not profitable on a stand-alone basis or not contributing to network connectivity. However this means abandoning HKG slot hogging and CX may be reluctant to do this.
Or use those slots for the planned expansion..
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: CX DM, QF PL

As a regular user of both 'full service' carriers and LCCs, I think it is important to bring a sense of perspective, and avoid exaggeration. While most (all?) of us on this forum have seen a decline in elements of the on board service - notably F&B - I don't think it is accurate to say that an airline that has invested HK8bn (according to results release) in air and ground product in the past 5 years, has great lounges, great JCL and PEY seats, decent (though not world class) IFE, still offers food, bags, headsets, amenity kits etc etc free of charge is degenerating into the realm of LCC.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i hope cx survives

only reason is so it creates perceived competition... and that way other airlines whpm i have moved business ro, will continue to offer cheap fares with better service.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:42 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KACommuter
But CX will do amazing things to ensure you get catch your connecting flight or get there in time, IF you are a DM. I suspect JL will stick to the "rules are rules" line. So you pays your money and you takes your choice...
Actually, JL will do it even if you are a nobody. Had staff waiting for my brother at the gate and ran with him through security to catch his connecting flight. He was originally booked to connect on the CX flight to HKG which scheduled to depart 5 min before the JL flight. He arrived way ahead of time while CX flight was still boarding. Somehow CX decided not to wait and lost the revenue in this case. And the funny thing is the JL flight ended up departing before the CX one.

Anyway, I don't want to make this into a JL vs CX discussion. But sometimes it is CX who made those choices even if we are willing to pay our money to CX. Is it really that hard to treat non-DM or non-premium passengers a little bit nicer both onboard and on the ground?

Last edited by JALPak; Mar 22, 2017 at 10:47 am
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
Actually, JL will do it even if you are a nobody. Had staff waiting for my brother at the gate and ran with him through security to catch his connecting flight. He was originally booked to connect on the CX flight to HKG which scheduled to depart 5 min before the JL flight. He arrived way ahead of time while CX flight was still boarding. Somehow CX decided not to wait and lost the revenue in this case. And the funny thing is the JL flight ended up departing before the CX one.

Anyway, I don't want to make this into a JL vs CX discussion. But sometimes it is CX who made those choices even if we are willing to pay our money to CX.Is it really that hard to treat non-DM or non-premium passengers a little bit nicer both onboard and on the ground?
This!

We once flew JL HKG-NRT-YVR-YYZ with YVR-YYZ on Air Canada a separate flight. The NRT flight was purposely delayed because they held the plane waiting for a late arrival from India where there were many passengers connecting on the NRT-YVR flight. At YVR there were JL staffers at each corner of the passage helping connecting passengers to catch their flights.

I have never seen CX would go out of its way to help regular passengers.

Sure, treating your most elite passengers above and beyond would earn you the loyalty and the revenue associated with it, but unless CX can survive alone on its elites, CX still needs the majority of their peon passengers to be able to do well especially nowadays companies are no longer willing to pay the huge premiums on the F cabin of the meaty routes hence making the revenues from the peons much more important than any time in the past. Yet CX seems still struggling on how to figure it out.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: CX DM

I don't think CX is becoming a LCC but am otherwise in complete agreement. The last 5 years have seen the senior executives cruise as the rest of the world has caught up.

I just flew AA on HKG/LAX - same seat plus mattress pad and pyjamas in J, equally bad food, IFE slightly worse, lounges significantly worse but far cheaper at just over half the price.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Happy
This!

We once flew JL HKG-NRT-YVR-YYZ with YVR-YYZ on Air Canada a separate flight. The NRT flight was purposely delayed because they held the plane waiting for a late arrival from India where there were many passengers connecting on the NRT-YVR flight. At YVR there were JL staffers at each corner of the passage helping connecting passengers to catch their flights.

I have never seen CX would go out of its way to help regular passengers.

Sure, treating your most elite passengers above and beyond would earn you the loyalty and the revenue associated with it, but unless CX can survive alone on its elites, CX still needs the majority of their peon passengers to be able to do well especially nowadays companies are no longer willing to pay the huge premiums on the F cabin of the meaty routes hence making the revenues from the peons much more important than any time in the past. Yet CX seems still struggling on how to figure it out.
I actually see CX do this regularly on flights arriving late into HK which have lots of passengers connecting to other flights. But CX has gone well beyond this for me a few times when it really did matter.

However you second point is very true, and this loyal customer is now less loyal. And judging from many other posts, I am not alone. So they have not figured it out.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I just flew AA on HKG/LAX - same seat plus mattress pad and pyjamas in J, equally bad food, IFE slightly worse, lounges significantly worse but far cheaper at just over half the price.
In what scenario would you be able to access HKG/LAX AA lounges but not CX lounges? I must be missing something.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
In hours where CX has no flights I guess
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by ralphs
In what scenario would you be able to access HKG/LAX AA lounges but not CX lounges? I must be missing something.
I think he might be referring to lounge at LAX where AA Int'l flights depart at T4 (instead of TBIT) which pax use their own Flagship lounge - which is significantly worse than CX lounges or the Oneworld lounge at TBIT...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I think he might be referring to lounge at LAX where AA Int'l flights depart at T4 (instead of TBIT) which pax use their own Flagship lounge - which is significantly worse than CX lounges or the Oneworld lounge at TBIT...
But AA J pax have access to the TBIT lounge, so ...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I don't think CX is becoming a LCC but am otherwise in complete agreement. The last 5 years have seen the senior executives cruise as the rest of the world has caught up.

Plus individual air vents! Which is the deal maker for me given how hot CX keeps their cabins.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
BA announced a partnership with China Eastern last year.
AA now announces a more intensive partnership with China Southern:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...southern-stake

Is that bad for CX or very marginal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.