FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   USA Cathay Pacific Credit card from Synchrony Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1820116-usa-cathay-pacific-credit-card-synchrony-bank.html)

Reikon Aug 7, 2017 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 28655346)
1. CX is one of the worst in term of award availability.

What are you even talking about? You get extra CX availability with Asia Miles and availability for other OW airlines is nominally the same across all programs.

garykung Aug 7, 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Reikon (Post 28659637)
What are you even talking about?

I should be the one asking you.

Based on your response, you clearly have no idea about the reality of AM.

percysmith Aug 8, 2017 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 28655346)
1. CX is one of the worst in term of award availability.

They weren't so bad before but getting worse https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forum...w/22044?page=1 #6z . CX is only nice to you if you're starting trips on ex-PRC ports

G-CIVC Aug 8, 2017 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 28657510)
Unless you currently have a balance with AM, or you can transfer into AM, this card alone will never get you a TPAC F.

I'm sure its more worthwhile to MS with this card than with AMEX. :rolleyes:

beachfan Aug 8, 2017 7:44 pm

Anyone get approval yet under the bigger offer? How long did it take?

Is it possible to share family points with AM?

Thanks!

garykung Aug 8, 2017 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 28665391)
I'm sure its more worthwhile to MS with this card than with AMEX. :rolleyes:

Yes indeed. Who cares about that bank anyway?

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 28665416)
Is it possible to share family points with AM?

No if you mean pooling.

percysmith Aug 9, 2017 1:01 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 28665354)
They weren't so bad before but getting worse https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forum...w/22044?page=1 #6z . CX is only nice to you if you're starting trips on ex-PRC ports

P.S. another whinge is how close they release seats now.

My mate and I were travelling to Aus for wedding last weekend. I was strictly there for the weekend only, my mate one more day on either side of the weekend.

We got return J, but only with double reissue:
i.e. me: HKG-SYD-HKG in Y --> HKG-SYD J SYD-HKG Y --> (after arrival in Aus) SYD-HKG J
mate: HKG-SYD-HKG in PE --> HKG-SYD J SYD-HKG PE --> (six hours before departure) SYD-HKG J

traveler18 Aug 9, 2017 1:18 am

I had the card when the 25K offer. I got the points. I have since closed the account - poor value other than original bonus.

For Airline Ticket purchases I use AMEX Platinum - 1 US = 5 points = 5 Asia Miles
For Hotels and other Travel - Citi Thank you rewards = 1US = 3 Asia Miles
For Restaurants - Citi Thank you rewards = 1US = 2 Asia Miles
(Just converted a bunch of point using the 20% bonus)

For everything else - AMEX Starwood - points better value are some hotels; but transfers to Asia Miles at 20% premium.

G-CIVC Aug 9, 2017 1:28 am

Is this card churnable? If so it might be worth a shot and some hard pulls, no biggie.

(I agree that AMEX PLT just kills off everyone else for a CX FF. My ~$12k airfare spend translates to 60k miles on top of the 100k sign up bonus - that's an extra upgrade to F or a roundtrip R to U / companion ticket long haul etc etc...and it repeats every year without restrictions)

(Meanwhile, mom @ HKG does all the HSBC MSing)

Reikon Aug 9, 2017 1:37 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 28659757)
I should be the one asking you.

Based on your response, you clearly have no idea about the reality of AM.

What are you talking about still? AM members can waitlist and have priority awards so they clearly have more choices than other partners. Other OW airlines awards are the same across the board. In what way is getting AM "the worst"?

And you've clearly never tried looking for QF or AA premium awards if you think CX metal availability is "the worst".

G-CIVC Aug 9, 2017 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Reikon (Post 28666289)
What are you talking about still? AM members can waitlist and have priority awards so they clearly have more choices than other partners. Other OW airlines awards are the same across the board. In what way is getting AM "the worst"?

And you've clearly never tried looking for QF or AA premium awards if you think CX metal availability is "the worst".

If this was actually true that AM was a better program, there wouldn't be that many complaints from AM/MPC members about our 'beloved' AA/AS peers (and yes, even after the prices were raised for AA) :)

percysmith Aug 9, 2017 2:35 am

What are you talking about still? AM members can waitlist

CX withholds seat release til all unticketed AM waitlists have expired T-4 days)

Waitlists to rebook already-ticketed redemptions can to go to date of departure, but on the date of departure you might need a go-show anyway.

and have priority awards so they clearly have more choices than other partners. Other OW airlines awards are the same across the board. In what way is getting AM "the worst"?

In that when close in, we're racking up a fortune in AM reissue fees.

Also, we get further penalised when redeeming one-way with AM.

QF FF/Aadvantage award or QF/AA seats? I managed the latter.

Hottub Cowboy Aug 9, 2017 4:10 am

Applied for this card when it was first released. Tried to use it on the Cathay HK site to purchase a ticket and it was rejected. Stopped by the TST booking office and they were not aware of the card so they refused to accept it. Ended up paying with my AM SCB card. I hope the situation is better now as I had to go the VGC route for the min spend due to this.

@G-CIVC Im hearing mixed reports. I might apply for a second card next week and see how that turns out. I hope they are not manually processing their applications these days.

JohnGreat Aug 9, 2017 5:16 pm

Deleted..........

garykung Aug 9, 2017 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hottub Cowboy (Post 28666554)
Tried to use it on the Cathay HK site to purchase a ticket and it was rejected.

It should have nothing to do with CX, but the card issuer.

Stopped by the TST booking office and they were not aware of the card so they refused to accept it.

It is a Visa card after all. It simply does not make sense.

I hope they are not manually processing their applications these days.

It seems like it (manual processing) is the case.