FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   USA Cathay Pacific Credit card from Synchrony Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1820116-usa-cathay-pacific-credit-card-synchrony-bank.html)

gm9928 Mar 1, 2017 11:18 am

Originally Posted by TWAforever (Post 27972840)
I did apply on 2/13, the first day. Apparently there haven't been instant approvals for this card. I have heard nothing since the app, but yesterday I did get a CreditKarma alert that I have a new account on my credit report and sure enough it is the Cathay Visa, so hopefully I will have the card soon.

I realize the reaction hasn't been very positive for the value prop of this card, but I thought I would give it a try for a year and see what happens. I will gladly receive 25,000 AM for a $95 fee.

N.B., I already have many of the US cards mentioned in this thread.

Same here! I applied on 2/14, but haven't heard anything. Saw notice on Credit Karma that I had a new account from Synchrony.

garykung Mar 1, 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 27973525)
Also, if you are a silver member but your SO is not a member at all when you book tickets together does it increase your chance of getting upgrade for both persons or is it the same as if the tickets were booked separately?

It is the same.

TWAforever Mar 2, 2017 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by gm9928 (Post 27975826)
Same here! I applied on 2/14, but haven't heard anything. Saw notice on Credit Karma that I had a new account from Synchrony.

I finally got the card in the mail today.

happyvoid Mar 11, 2017 3:58 am

How is the card ? Too bad there is annual fee

dr0832 Mar 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Has anyone else had this go pending and then received the card? I applied yesterday and it went to pending. I wasn't sure if I should try to call into Syncrony bank or not.

Zamees Apr 24, 2017 5:28 pm

I received my card today and it is not linked to my asiamiles account.
Anyone recall how this got linked to your account?

The targeted email that I clicked to fill out the application had my membership number in the email. I don't recall if the application form had my membership number auto filled in, I entered it in, or if there was no option to input the asiamiles number. I would not have left this field empty.

When talking to the chat agents, they say the card should have my asiamiles number on it. Can anyone else confirm how they entered their asiamiles, and if their CX card contains their asiamiles number on it?

Doctor of Credit Aug 4, 2017 1:55 am

Synchrony Bank: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles 50k/$2.5k/90 days

https://us.cathaypacific.com/offers/credit-card

Normal offer is 25k miles.

LXflyer9 Aug 6, 2017 10:15 am

Asia Miles CC 50k offer question

I would like your feedback on getting the recently doubled Asia Miles card offer.

Here is my info:
- Currently 8/24, TransUnion score 819, Equifax score 801
- Had a card from them before (Banana Republic store card) which I opened and closed after a year

Are my odds of approval good? From what I've read here each application is manually processed and so takes time (7 to 14 days) but almost always gets approved. Does anyone have DPs to confirm that? Do they call the applicant or just take time but approve without any extra involvement from the applicant?

Thank you!

Yoshi212 Aug 6, 2017 10:30 am

I am guessing this is the Synchrony Bank card you're referring to with:

Earn Asia Miles by making purchases with your Cathay Pacific Visa card*
Cathay Pacific VisaŽ Platinum Card:
Cathay Pacific online or inflight purchases: USD 1 = 2
Dining purchases in the US or abroad: USD 1 = 1.5
Purchases made outside the US: USD 1 = 1.5
All other purchases: USD 1= 1
Earn bonus Asia Miles *
Cathay Pacific Visa SignatureŽ Card: 50,000 bonus - Spend USD2,500 in the first 90 days of account opening

Even with 8/24 it seems your credit appears solid which means your debt to credit ratio is low/good. You're probably a decent risk to the company so don't see them turning you down unless there is some info not present. If you have a decent income but already too much credit extended to you the bank will be wary of issuing you more credit.
I can't answer about the banks processes.

LXflyer9 Aug 6, 2017 11:20 am

Yes, that's exactly the card. Thank you for the info!

garykung Aug 6, 2017 1:36 pm

FWIW:

Synchrony Bank: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles 50k/$2.5k/90 days

garykung Aug 6, 2017 1:42 pm

Before you do anything stupid, keep in mind that:

1. CX is one of the worst in term of award availability.

2. AM expires every 3 years after they are earned.

3. YQ is charged for AM redemption.

LXflyer9 Aug 7, 2017 5:26 am

@garykung thanks for the feedback

1. I'm planning to use these AM for CX F, which I believe it has the best availability for (being the native program). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. I'll be using the entire balance in Mar 2018

3. No problem, it will be well worth it for the transcontinental F!

garykung Aug 7, 2017 5:35 am

Originally Posted by LXflyer9 (Post 28657491)
1. I'm planning to use these AM for CX F, which I believe it has the best availability for (being the native program). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anecdotal evidence says otherwise - AA has the best availability, especially long-haul.

Originally Posted by LXflyer9 (Post 28657491)
3. No problem, it will be well worth it for the transcontinental F!

Unless you currently have a balance with AM, or you can transfer into AM, this card alone will never get you a TPAC F.

LXflyer9 Aug 7, 2017 12:12 pm

I have a balance of Citi TYP that I'm planning to transfer this month taking advantage of the 20% transfer bonus.