Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

BA industrial action - what will CX do about connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA industrial action - what will CX do about connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I'm not saying that CX will allow this, but in the case that BA cancels the GOT-LHR flight before you start your positioning to GOT, you may want to suggest to CX that they just allow you to pick up the flight in LHR and therefore you won't have to position to GOT. I'm pretty sure that CX will be open to this in these circumstances.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
I have spoken to CX a few times over the last couple of days (about taking a surfboard in checked baggage - but that's another story).

I've asked CX a number of "what if" questions regarding the proposed industrial action and have been reassured that my son's journey will be protected in the event of a cancellation of the BA GOT-LHR flight on 10th. They did mention re-routing via FRA as a possible option. I'm hoping that it's CX that we have to deal with in the event of a cancellation (they certainly give that impression). I don't fancy having to join long telephone queues to get through to BA.

Personally I'd prefer to be proactive and change the travel plans to avoid the strike dates altogether, rather than adopting a wait and see approach, but CX won't waive change fees until they know exactly what is happening. One option we have been considering is bringing the GOT-LHR flight forward to 9th - CX have quoted a change fee of 85. This would also involve an overnight stay at Heathrow. With that in mind I have already brought the LHR-GOT positioning flight forward a day (to Saturday 7th).

Hopefully BA's contingency plans will be announced very soon today and we can decide what to do.

Yes sxc, suggesting to CX that my son can make his own way to Heathrow (if they preserve the LHR-HKG-SYD legs when GOT-LHR has not been flown) would be a great solution, but this has to be agreed before the LHR-GOT flight tomorrow evening and ideally before we set out for Heathrow tomorrow - we have a drive of at least 3 hours.

I see on the BA forum that fog has been forecast for the weekend. If fog leads to bad driving conditions and cancelled flights I will be tearing my hair out!

A bit of background to this trip. My (step)son is emigrating. A one-way ticket ex-EU was my idea (I am an enthusiastic follower of Flyertalk) and I have paid for it! I thought a business class trip on CX would be the ideal way to start this new phase of his life. The ex-EU fare was thousands of s cheaper than doing the same CX trip direct from LHR - even allowing for positioning flights and a few hotel nights in Gothenburg - and well worth paying a little more than the cost of one-way economy flights from LHR. I am going along on the positioning flight and am also booked on the same GOT-LHR flight on 10th - I gave him no choice. I knew there were risks involved in booking ex-EU but didn't realise how much stress it would cause me. I also didn't realise that everything would be left to me as the family travel-agent.

So if you see a bald older woman dragging a surfboard through Heathrow next week you know the plans went totally pear-shaped.

Last edited by WickedStepMother; Jan 6, 2017 at 3:14 am Reason: Correct some typos
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
i guess op would rather make alternative plans before ba makes alternative plans for him/her? So op prefers to fly on 6th instead i take it? Why not call cx n push extremely hard about it?
While of course we can understand why passengers that may be affected would want to do this, this makes it even harder for the airlines involved to sort things out.

As previously seen, strike action can be called off at short notice. This is why airlines will NOT consent to allowing people to make changes - over and above the flexibility of their ticket - until the situation becomes clearer. In many cases, there will be no need to have changed anyone's plans, and the "trying to avoid disruption" therefore becomes further disruption.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
BA have made their announcement and there appears to be no change to my GOT-LHR return flight in Manage My Booking, so I am assuming for now that step-son's GOT-LHR leg is also safe. Fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.