Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

BA industrial action - what will CX do about connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass

My son has booked GOT-SYD with CX. The first leg, GOT-LHR on 10th January, is operated by BA (on the same PNR).

This is the first day of the threatened industrial action announced on BA's website a few hours ago and GOT-LHR is one of the routes likely to be affected. Contingency plans will be published on 6th January.

Does anyone have any experience of what is likely to happen in this situation? (e.g. Was anyone due to be affected by the BA industrial action threatened over the Christmas weekend?)

Will CX wait until 6th January before arranging alternative GOT-LHR flights or will they do something in advance?

Thanks,
WSM
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:35 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Will CX wait until 6th January before arranging alternative GOT-LHR flights or will they do something in advance?
I'm pretty sure CX'll wait.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
If BA cancels it last minute then BA will take full responsibility including flight change and hotels etc.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by cysyuen
If BA cancels it last minute then BA will take full responsibility including flight change and hotels etc.
Then it's not CX's problem :-P
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Then it's not CX's problem :-P
i guess op would rather make alternative plans before ba makes alternative plans for him/her? So op prefers to fly on 6th instead i take it? Why not call cx n push extremely hard about it?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by kaka
Why not call cx n push extremely hard about it?
I don't think anything short of (threat of) physical violence/calling in Apple Daily/being a public nuisance/blocking a plane is going to make CX proactively rebook OP. None of which you can do over the phone.

Edit: noticed OP is BA Gold. CX likes foreigners. Maybe she'll get some love.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 5, 2017 at 6:14 am
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
I don't think anything short of (threat of) physical violence/calling in Apple Daily/being a public nuisance/blocking a plane is going to make CX proactively rebook OP. None of which you can do over the phone.

Edit: noticed OP is BA Gold. CX likes foreigners. Maybe she'll get some love.
they hv done me some deeds before (not exactly me but under my voice) so we shall try
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP states that the two segments are on the same PNR, but are they on the same ticket? That is a significant issue here and it is important for OP to answer that question.

Presuming that OP meant "same ticket" changes prior to 1/10 are the ticketing carrier's sole responsibility. That appears to be CX. If the ticket is fully changeable, e.g. flexible, OP should simply have the son make the change with CX. If not, there will be a change fee, which the son may ask to be waived (unlikey).

On the day of travel, it will be the carrier causing the delay, e.g. BA, which would arrange the reroute. There would, of course, be no fee of any kind.

I would consider looking at other routings than GOT as that appears to simply be a connection point. Perhaps even a cheap LCC ticket to any other European departure point served by CX? (Do note that CX will need to OK the reroute in advance).

Note that other LON-GOT carriers are DY & FR, neither of whom interline with BA or CX.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Since the BA GOT-LHR leg is part of a CX booking made on the CX website I was under the impression that CX would be the ones responsible making alternative arrangements to get my son to LHR and he would be dealing with them not BA.

His main concern is that he needs to be at LHR on 10th to get the CX flight to Sydney via HKG. I doubt that BA would take responsibility for those legs of the journey.

I have already spoken to CX with some "what if's" regarding the threatened industrial action (though I haven't pushed them) and the general answer is that they can't do anything until BA make their announcements and any changes to the booking before that would have to be at my son's expense. He is making the 'positioning flight' to GOT on Sunday 8th so right now we are assuming that so long as he gets there, CX will handle everything (including any rescheduling of LHR-HKG-SYD) if BA does cancel GOT-LHR on 10th.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP states that the two segments are on the same PNR, but are they on the same ticket? That is a significant issue here and it is important for OP to answer that question.
I am not sure I actually know the difference! The e-ticket receipt shows all three legs under one ticket number....
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
BA will be respobsible for misconnect to LHR, HKG and SYD as it is BA's fault. If this is the case then BA has to sort them out, including finding overnight stay and rerouting -- possibly with BA15 instead of CX or fly CX next day and connect at HKG again.

You will know more of how you are protected when flying in thr EU if you search for the EU261 regulation thread on BA forum!

Actually i am not sure BA will have acvess to CX PNRs (they can't access AA's to begin with) and chances are they will give you transport, hotel and telephone card but you have to return next day to find CX agents.

All flights are under one ticket so you are fully covered should anything goes wrong.

Last edited by cysyuen; Jan 5, 2017 at 7:59 am
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:12 am

Cysyuen BA and CX are both Amadeus so I should expect yes.

QF was able to access and fix an misconnect on my CX itin that QF caused in 2011.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I have a one way short haul Asia Miles redemption booking on BA so it's issued on CX ticket stock. In that case, who is responsible for any cancellations? CX or BA?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:23 pm
Suspended

In my experience BA would eventually organize your tickets
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:48 pm

Neither will do anything until BA announces contingency plans and actually starts cancelling flights. BA strikes are scheduled, and then cancelled, fairly frequently. The 10th January strike was originally supposed to take place on 26th December (I was flying MAN-LHR on that day). In my experience if it really is cancelled BA will find you an alternative to get to LHR, but you may want to proactively call CX as they may prefer to route you straight to HKG through somewhere else in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.