Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Glad to be back on CX - comparison with QR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glad to be back on CX - comparison with QR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by carmy
Sounds about the same for me, as GO. Had a chat with a friend just last night about CX; we are both GO at about 1,000 club points. Both of us could easily make DM if we wanted to, but we agreed it just didn't make any sense.

We don't use the checkin counter, mostly traveling only with carry on bags. We don't use the lounge, and mostly prefer to arrive just on time. We haven't seen any difference in how the airline treated us as we went from GR to SL to GO, so not really sure how getting DM will help.

In the meantime, we're just moving business away where possible. In fact, I have bought maybe just 2 or 3 long haul revenue tickets from cx since renewing Gold four months into my membership year. Next year, I might just go for silver then start flying other airlines.
It looks like MPC Green will do you just fine, since you don't use check in, don't use lounge, don't need luggage.

As GO, you already have a greater chance of op-ups unless you fly F/J exclusively. and if that's the case, MPC green is good enough for you.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
It looks like MPC Green will do you just fine, since you don't use check in, don't use lounge, don't need luggage.

As GO, you already have a greater chance of op-ups unless you fly F/J exclusively. and if that's the case, MPC green is good enough for you.
Not sure why you think GOs have a higher chance of an op-up, since many of CX's own staff seem to believe that OWE ranks above GO for that.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27561589-post518.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27572426-post522.html
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjjohn
Recently in one of CX busiest long haul flight (HKG-LHR) in F.
It was the full cabin, during the middle flight meal, I ordered a noodle (I should be the first and only one ordered)
Cabin crew told me no more (one of the passenger ordered it during the main meal service), they only loaded 1 serve for the flight (Orz, really can't believe this could happen to a 5* rating airlines).

In flight service on that flight was really good. Even with full load, they still provided a top-notch service.

Really like Pier, on par to some of the best lounge in the world.
Heck, on my LAX-HKG F I woke up a bit late and when I ordered Dim Sum for breakfast, they ran out of those served in F but did not bother to tell me! Instead they scrambled something from J which were put together awkwardly and looked very sad. I got one bite and ordered congee instead. The congee was much better so I ordered a second helping. Luckily they had more congee left (but NOT the content inside) My second one came with different contents inside though they were tasty so I did not mention anything about it.

As much as some here dont like QR, we have found them fine for our usual routes which are US-DOH and DOH-JNB or DOH-CPT. The old 777 2-2-2 are actually quite spacious and comfortable to sleep when comparing to CX J. QR gave 2 duvets in their J class and of course the PJ when CX gives NADA. The soups on QR are invariably good. Main courses are not as consistent. Still the food quality and taste are actually better than CX F in my opinion. We are lucky to often get Asian ladies as our FAs on our QR flights - the Korean girl on our DOH-SYD flight in June was excellent.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Happy
QR gave 2 duvets in their J class ....
They do?

Originally Posted by Happy
The soups on QR are invariably good. Main courses are not as consistent. Still the food quality and taste are actually better than CX F in my opinion. We are lucky to often get Asian ladies as our FAs on our QR flights - the Korean girl on our DOH-SYD flight in June was excellent.
I agree that the food on QR J is better than that of CX, even CX F. I rarely get to the main on QR. By the time I have an appetizer and then the mezze plate (which I love) with a couple of extra pieces of bread, that's usually it for me.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Dec 12, 2016 at 8:09 am
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Some posts on this thread have made me laughed.
Anyway, here is my opinion based on well over 50 CX J longhaul in Cirrus seats, 10 in CX F and 20 in QR J.

QR J is basically superior in every respect if you can avoid their A330s. Food, wines and service is far superior to CX J were F&B is mediocre. Food quality, F-style presentation and service, excellent wine with huge selection, real dine-on-demand, hard-working staff from all over the world, ...
The Super Diamond seats on 787/380/350 are much more spacious than the Cirrus seat. As I usually travel with my wife, we enjoy the 777 seats which are the most spacious of all, even if of older generation and less privacy on the aisle. SO much space from head to feet. Again window sets on A3330s (except of a few A332) are awful.

Most ac have larger and better-quality screens than CX J, with excellent selection. Early glitches have mostly disappeared.

As a detail, I should add a website that now works and has many functionalities compared to the outdated CX website.

If I have the choice between a nonstop HKG-Europe on CX and a one-stop QR at the same price, I would immediately choose CX. But I usually find CX to be 40 to 100% more expensive .... I recently bought a ticket for me and wifey (2 tickets) that was a tiny bit less than the cheapest CX fare (1 ticket) with fairly similar restrictions.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by brunos
The Super Diamond seats on 787/380/350 are much more spacious than the Cirrus seat.
With all due respects, I'm not sure how you could say it's spacious when you have a table and screen above your legs when you are sleeping? I prefer how you can stow them on the side and keep the space open when I'm sleeping and not bump into a hard table when I turn on my side.

As I usually travel with my wife, we enjoy the 777 seats which are the most spacious of all, even if of older generation and less privacy on the aisle. SO much space from head to feet.
As you said, its great when you travel with someone, I'm just lucky I didn't have any seat mates during my flights...but the worst part for me is that it slopes down..

Most ac have larger and better-quality screens than CX J, with excellent selection. Early glitches have mostly disappeared.
Glitches aside, selections are pretty much the same, i don't watch the Arabic ones anyways, plus i prefer the Asian channels on CX. What I personally don't like that the screens on QR aren't touch screens...so you have to use the remote to go through the selections, unlike on CX.

By the way, you might want to try the A350 IFEs, I think its much better than QRs screen quality.

If I have the choice between a nonstop HKG-Europe on CX and a one-stop QR at the same price, I would immediately choose CX. But I usually find CX to be 40 to 100% more expensive .... I recently bought a ticket for me and wifey (2 tickets) that was a tiny bit less than the cheapest CX fare (1 ticket) with fairly similar restrictions.
Hahaha, no arguments there...I got my ticket cheap as well.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Might have spoken to soon. So my first flight on CX after trying QR...has been one of the worst in recent years.

I realized my exTPE ticket is about to expire (3-months validity) so I had to fly to TPE, I initially planned on doing just the same day return to Manila, but since my friends will be in HKG over the weekend I decided to catch up with them.

In the past I've done CX904-CX474-CX475 with no incident even with a luggage checked to TPE and retagged back to HKG at TPE. [I had to check in a bag because all the gifts I was gonna give were on that bag.]

Things looked up the night before the flight when I saw that the A350 doing 474/475 got switched to a 77H, and my 12K seat moved to 2K for 474. When I got to the lounge the following morning, I called MPO to check if there was a way to get 2K also for 475. The agent on the line said, its been released to airport control despite it being more than 3hrs before the flight, however he said he will put in a note on my record.

So I flew CX904, which was okay. The ISM and crew were very attentive, food sucks as always...we arrived in HKG a little early, docked at gate 64, so I made my way to The Wing to catch my CX474 flight, no announcements made regarding delays so I was surprised when I got to the gate with the screens all black, it only means one thing....

Went back the lounge straight to the small office where some people have started shouting because of the delay. Someone flying to TPE, was supposed to fly the night before I think but got delayed and pushed to the following morning was really upset about the new arrangements. The staff was able to put me on CX450 leaving at 10am (CX474 was delayed to 1115 i think) then on the 511 back to HKG. They couldn't tag my bags back, and the staff insists that I can go out and check in again for my flight. I told her to send a message to ground staff in TPE to ask for assistance to retag my bag, which is normally done at the transit desk. She said she will...but said I have enough time to clear immigration and get my bag and check in again because MCT is only 1hr.

On CX450 to TPE got stuck with 17E (apparently its the only seat available on that flight, yes from 12K to 2K to 17E....not very happy about it). When I boarded the flight, I gave the ISM my return BP and luggage tag, asked her to help send a message to TPE Ground regarding the request (which I have done a few times in the past) unfortunately...no one was there to help me during the deplaning. Fortunately someone was at the transit desk so we were able to sort it out with no effort.

15K on CX511 on the 33P...the ISM came over introduced herself and gave me and my seatmate a bottle of Evian. (I think she thought I was traveling with my seatmate, because during deplaning she told the crew, we're not traveling together) What surprised me about the whole thing is they ran out of champagne. the SP informed me that they did place a request in TPE, but TPE doesn't have stocks either...so even for welcome drinks were just water and juice. I mean how is that possible? Isn't the catering company in TPE owned by CX/CPCS? It's not like Billecart is such a rare champagne anyway. Arrived HKG on time, and thankfully at gate 23, quick walk and I was out of the terminal and onto the AEL.

Early Sunday morning I got an email and SMS from Cathay Pacific that my flight CX919 will be delayed to 1550 from 1415, must be making for the lost time I had in HKG the day before. ;-) So I decided to do a few errands and went shopping a bit at Landmark. I was out of the hotel around noon and headed to IFC to check in...when I got to the counter, the agent told me my ticket is invalid...he did confirm I flew the day before on CX511 but said something is wrong on my ticket and it's invalid and he needs to sort it out. Took over 20+ mins to get that sorted out...they found an error from the flight change done by the staff at The Wing, once it was cleared, they were able to check in my bags and print a new BP.

Since I was a little early, and I didn't have a gate assigned to me when I arrived, I decided to head to the Pier for lunch...it was full, service was much slower, in fact took almost 10 minutes to get my order taken....food seem to taste better though. at around 1450, I decided to walk to gate 4 for my flight. Apparently you can now get a buggy from The Pier, specially if there was a boarding gate change...or if you arrived before they gave you a gate assignment. (I only found out after I walked back to Gate 4)

Flight was normal, I was offered to try the coconut water, which is now available on CX flights...tastes good actually.

Over all, I don't have much of a choice but to continue flying CX at this point....There are bright spots anyway...by the way food seems to have improved a bit. this month's curry prawns with rice is quite nice.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
QR J is basically superior in every respect if you can avoid their A330s. Food, wines and service is far superior to CX J were F&B is mediocre. Food quality, F-style presentation and service, excellent wine with huge selection, real dine-on-demand, hard-working staff from all over the world, ...

The Super Diamond seats on 787/380/350 are much more spacious than the Cirrus seat. As I usually travel with my wife, we enjoy the 777 seats which are the most spacious of all, even if of older generation and less privacy on the aisle. SO much space from head to feet. Again window sets on A3330s (except of a few A332) are awful.
I agree with almost everything here. For me, 1-2-1 layout is far preferable to 2-2-2 regardless of the aircraft or an extra inch or two; and I'll go out of my way to get it.

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
What I personally don't like that the screens on QR aren't touch screens...so you have to use the remote to go through the selections, unlike on CX.
OTOH, what I don't like about touch screens is that you have to be close enough to touch them. I'd much rather (and, in fact do) sit back in my seat without leaning forward to manage the video.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
OTOH, what I don't like about touch screens is that you have to be close enough to touch them. I'd much rather (and, in fact do) sit back in my seat without leaning forward to manage the video.
but you can still use the remote. What I don't like about the QR system is you have to move back and forth between remote and screen.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Might have spoken to soon. So my first flight on CX after trying QR...has been one of the worst in recent years.
Tell me about it. On my opup to J from kix i was addressed as sir and got served icecream n aperitive without tablecloth. Not that i mind but im surprised its allowed by CX/ISM.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
Tell me about it. On my opup to J from kix i was addressed as sir and got served icecream n aperitive without tablecloth. Not that i mind but im surprised its allowed by CX/ISM.
I think they they take out the tablecloth after main course. Not sure though...
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:04 am

I flew HKG-JNB recently and requested tea a few times. It always came as it should in a cup without a tea bag.

I was surprised that FTers didn't think it was a major service failure to be served tea with the tea bag still in the cup, so I decided to ask the purser about my earlier experience flying JFK-HKG.

She (and her colleagues) said from the first day of training, FAs are told to take the tea bag out of the cup. And it is left in only when requested by the passenger. The purser then went on to say that my flight was probably staffed by a less experienced NY-based crew.

I should mention that this was probably one of my best flights in C in a long time. There were some minor issues with the seat and catering, but the service was top notch.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
I flew HKG-JNB recently and requested tea a few times. It always came as it should in a cup without a tea bag.

I was surprised that FTers didn't think it was a major service failure to be served tea with the tea bag still in the cup, so I decided to ask the purser about my earlier experience flying JFK-HKG.

She (and her colleagues) said from the first day of training, FAs are told to take the tea bag out of the cup. And it is left in only when requested by the passenger. The purser then went on to say that my flight was probably staffed by a less experienced NY-based crew.

I should mention that this was probably one of my best flights in C in a long time. There were some minor issues with the seat and catering, but the service was top notch.
Wonder what date it was because I just did a round trip to JNB and some of the crew were phenomenal!!!

Unfortunately the ex-JNB catering was... a mixed bag.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: QF P1,M&M HON,CX DM,AS MVP,Hyatt DM,SPG G
I appreciate your flying cam sum up to MPC DM.
I understand that QR have 24 seats in their High den 77W, they goes flat (like standard 77W or 77L), the problem is, you said it didn't go flat? That means your seat is broken.
About B/E Super Diamond, some airline, like QR and AA, got a big discount on this seat, so they pick this rather than Zodiac Cirrus.
Let's talk about Al Mourjan DOH. No more Krug available from Sep 2016 (visited prior to SYD in A380 F, still in Al Safwa though) and I've heard some flyers said Al Mourjan cut back their a la carte menu few weeks ago as well, QR still claim this is the ultimate lounge? I think QR have to open to OW Emerald in Y and upgraded pax(they can't access Al Mourjan) as well.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Wonder what date it was because I just did a round trip to JNB and some of the crew were phenomenal!!!

Unfortunately the ex-JNB catering was... a mixed bag.
Flew out on Dec 20th. Sadly, didn't fly CX back from South Africa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.