Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Glad to be back on CX - comparison with QR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glad to be back on CX - comparison with QR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mxr
whats wrong with it?
Makes cx lounge look .... too, aside from the food choice (but not quality)
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
There are more burgers for day flights (to America at least). I think around 15 (not sure if shared with F tho)

Actually you can see the exact number when walking by the galley
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by chfshifter
And they generally reserve at least the last one for DMs? Even on elite heavy LHR-HKG route I never failed to get noodles, right up to before the second meal...now I'm not sure how they manage that with this kind of load.
I think they will hold for DMs or normally would proactively offer to set aside for DMs.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Okay, I promise, last reply to my original complaint

So, I was supposed to drink tea with the tea bag still in the cup? or was I supposed to take the dripping wet tea bag out of the cup and put it somewhere?

I agree that you may find tea bags already in the cup (although this hasn't always been my own experience, including on CX), but if that's how the tea is presented, then at least provide a saucer, tray or something else plus a spoon for the disposal of the tea bag.
SQ provides a small plate to put the tea bag when they serve tea in J.
F will come in a tea pot.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Ribbing on QR's longhaul really isn't that significant imo, especially if you're doing the leisure routes. There definitely is an element of calculated effort with regards to revenue.

That said, QR's regional service is much more impressive than what CX can ever muster (even service is much warmer and attentive), and I don't even consider them trying as hard as EY- which I've had only stellar experiences in J with.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Enhancements
Ribbing on QR's longhaul really isn't that significant imo, especially if you're doing the leisure routes. There definitely is an element of calculated effort with regards to revenue.

That said, QR's regional service is much more impressive than what CX can ever muster (even service is much warmer and attentive), and I don't even consider them trying as hard as EY- which I've had only stellar experiences in J with.
Apart from meals, From my limited experience on QR, CX is more warm and more attentive specially as a DM. Which was my basis for comparison. In fact, I find QR service pretty much the same with what I get when I fly Philippines Airlines...it's nice but lacks that sense of being valued which you get on CX. When I spoke to a few friends who are also DM and who has flown flights on QR, majority feel the same.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:22 am
Suspended

Aside from being DM, my experience as OWS on CX has been rather dim. More like statusless. Got turned down for water etc. very different from OWE or seen of other DMs

Last edited by kaka; Dec 7, 2016 at 10:59 pm
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
Aside from being DM, my experience as OWS has been rather dim. More like statusless. Got turned down for water etc.
Was that on QR or CX?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Was that on QR or CX?
cx as per edited
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Aside from being DM, my experience as OWS on CX has been rather dim. More like statusless. Got turned down for water etc. very different from OWE or seen of other DMs
That's true even as GO members they don't get the same treatment.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:49 am

Sounds about the same for me, as GO. Had a chat with a friend just last night about CX; we are both GO at about 1,000 club points. Both of us could easily make DM if we wanted to, but we agreed it just didn't make any sense.

We don't use the checkin counter, mostly traveling only with carry on bags. We don't use the lounge, and mostly prefer to arrive just on time. We haven't seen any difference in how the airline treated us as we went from GR to SL to GO, so not really sure how getting DM will help.

In the meantime, we're just moving business away where possible. In fact, I have bought maybe just 2 or 3 long haul revenue tickets from cx since renewing Gold four months into my membership year. Next year, I might just go for silver then start flying other airlines.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:02 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by carmy
In the meantime, we're just moving business away where possible. In fact, I have bought maybe just 2 or 3 long haul revenue tickets from cx since renewing Gold four months into my membership year. Next year, I might just go for silver then start flying other airlines.
Depending on the type of tickets you buy, your tickets for CX Silver might get you OWS crediting to another program.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Sounds about the same for me, as GO. Had a chat with a friend just last night about CX; we are both GO at about 1,000 club points. Both of us could easily make DM if we wanted to, but we agreed it just didn't make any sense.

We don't use the checkin counter, mostly traveling only with carry on bags. We don't use the lounge, and mostly prefer to arrive just on time. We haven't seen any difference in how the airline treated us as we went from GR to SL to GO, so not really sure how getting DM will help.

If you are 200 points shy of hitting DM, wouldnt it make more sense to just fly on CX more and at least enjoy the benefits of being a DM?

Unfortunately the company seems to treat everyone like sh*t, I'm thankful that although a lot of the front liners have some misgivings about their company, they still manage to remain professional and treat their passengers well. I guess without them, there's pretty much no reason to remain loyal to CX.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:17 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

I agree with your frustration with CX, but your logic is definitely flawed....and the conclusion similarly incorrect. Comparing GR, SL and GO to DM is like comparing 6 piece, 9 piece and 20 piece Chicken McNuggets to a steak at the Mandarin Grill. . Okay maybe that's a little ridiculous analogy, but my point is GO and DM are really nothing alike on board. I haven't been GO for ages, but on-board DM are really what matter to the crew, IME I feel that (even though I have an ever-increasing list of gripes with CX), and the crew generally do going-through-the-motions things (if at all) for the rest, GO included. OWE sometimes receives DM treatment, sometimes just a greeting from an ISM with none of the additional service.

You just can't use the lower tiers as a comparison...I think your logic goes "the difference between GR and SL was nothing, SL to GO not much, thus GO to DM not much either." This isn't correct.

For the rest of your spirit though, I sadly agree. I've moved a lot of my own business away from CX. J class regional seat is a stinker as is most J class catering except on occasion, and service overall is getting worse. But I just don't agree with your logic!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:35 am
Suspended

I agree and ive converted my dad. Agree with sxc as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.