Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage delay on Cathay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Baggage delay on Cathay

Are Cathay reasonably quick at resolving delayed baggage issues? Flew LHR-NRT and a suitcase didn't turn up off 6am arrival from HKG. The rep at the airport seemed to think I'd get the case later the same day but experience on BA suggests this may take a few days.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no way to know, either on BA or CX.

If the agent told you that the bag was loaded on a specific LHR-NRT flight arriving later in the day, then it will likely be on that flight. If the agent told you something to keep you calm, then it may or may not arrive.

There are no "usuals" in the baggage delay business.

The real issue is that CX must have good contact information for you in Tokyo so that the bag can be delivered. A hotel, a place of business or someone around to receive it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by heartface
Are Cathay reasonably quick at resolving delayed baggage issues? Flew LHR-NRT and a suitcase didn't turn up off 6am arrival from HKG. The rep at the airport seemed to think I'd get the case later the same day but experience on BA suggests this may take a few days.
I wouldn't be too worried if I have given the baggage stub to ground staff on discovery of the missing luggage, provided your bags made it to HKG. There are numerous flights a day to NRT.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:32 pm

Have you been given a tracking number?
If the baggage has already been located, it will likely be loaded on the next flight therefore you will get it soon.
If the whereabouts of the baggage is unknown, you will be expecting a few days.

A more critical issue is whether the baggage has been left behind in London or Hong Kong - if it is Hong Kong, you will probably getting the baggage tonight.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Did you have a tide connection? Less than 1 hour actual connection time at HKG is likely to cause luggage not catching up, in those cases, luggage will catch the next flight and be delivered to you few hours after the next flight landed.

If that's not the case, your luggage might not be at the right place yet, i.e. Could be incorrectly loaded to another flight to somewhere else and could take long
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Had a 6 hour layover in HKG but I'm pleased to say I received my luggage at the hotel 11pm the same day. Communication from Cathay was fantastic with regular updates by phone; I'm impressed.

I'll be choosing Cathay over BA for my Asia travel going forwards
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Had a 6 hour layover in HKG but I'm pleased to say I received my luggage at the hotel 11pm the same day. Communication from Cathay was fantastic with regular updates by phone; I'm impressed.

I some times intentionally choose short connection when travelling with lots of luggage so I don't need to carry them out of airport, CX/KA is always good with luggage delivery.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: JMB Sapphire, MPC GO, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PCR Plat Elite
Just had an experience from HKG to PVG via CX and baggage was delayed for 4 days due to baggage tag missing. Although I've got the baggage delivered to me now, what chances do I stand to get compensation from CX?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by hazehkg
Just had an experience from HKG to PVG via CX and baggage was delayed for 4 days due to baggage tag missing. Although I've got the baggage delivered to me now, what chances do I stand to get compensation from CX?
Did they deliver it to your hotel (that's what they usually do). In which case, what did you actually lose? Most people (see the post above yours!) would say you gained.... If you hung around the airport then you probably wasted your own time as they do normally deliver....
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: JMB Sapphire, MPC GO, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PCR Plat Elite
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Did they deliver it to your hotel (that's what they usually do). In which case, what did you actually lose? Most people (see the post above yours!) would say you gained.... If you hung around the airport then you probably wasted your own time as they do normally deliver....
Thanks for coming in. Yes they did deliver, I lost the convenience of 4 days without some of my personal items which I had to go buy.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Indeed, CX is very good with delayed luggage. I guess that they have dedicated a significant number of staff at HKG airport and in their HQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.