Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turning around in CMB? (CX611/610)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Turning around in CMB? (CX611/610)

I note that there were quite a number of threads on the internet about turning around in CMB due to the cheap J class tickets. However, it seems that no one discussed the viability of doing this on CX611/610, after CX turning the flight to CMB non-stop.

I understand that I can get the boarding pass for my return leg from the transfer desk on the airside in Colombo without clearing the immigration. However, there is only 75 minutes for transit (arriving at 23:25 and departing at 00:40). In case of any delay of the first flight, will there be a big risk of missing the return leg (though the same aircraft)? I suppose the flights will be booked on 2 separate tickets.

Anyone got recent experience to share? Many thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: CX Gold
Get the return boarding pass when you check in at HKG, hence no need to approach whatever desk when you land (which is midnight). Roam around the airport and the 'lounge' for a short while and head back to the same gate.

No worries at all.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dunflyer
Get the return boarding pass when you check in at HKG, hence no need to approach whatever desk when you land (which is midnight). Roam around the airport and the 'lounge' for a short while and head back to the same gate.

No worries at all.
Can this be done with MH? get the return boarding pass at KUL?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by anthonywong
I note that there were quite a number of threads on the internet about turning around in CMB due to the cheap J class tickets. However, it seems that no one discussed the viability of doing this on CX611/610, after CX turning the flight to CMB non-stop.

I understand that I can get the boarding pass for my return leg from the transfer desk on the airside in Colombo without clearing the immigration. However, there is only 75 minutes for transit (arriving at 23:25 and departing at 00:40). In case of any delay of the first flight, will there be a big risk of missing the return leg (though the same aircraft)? I suppose the flights will be booked on 2 separate tickets.

Anyone got recent experience to share? Many thanks.
Very straight forward. Get your return boarding pass at HKG. Once arrived at CMB, head to the lounge and relax for a bit then just head back to the same gate at boarding time. No one will ever ask you any questions.

CMB is set up like SIN Changi airport where departing/arriving pax are all mixed and only at gate where they do security check.

If your outbound flight to CMB is delayed then your inbound return to HKG will also be delayed since it's the same plane you're flying back on.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 6:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I have done this before in Jo'burg where it was...put it this way, quite problematic to turn around. I assume CMB transit security staff see this a lot more often? There's definitely no need to prepare to bribe etc?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
Yes, JNB is problematic. CMB is nothing like that. Though one of the security guys did recognize me during the gate security and questioned why I was boarding back the same plane.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I have done this before in Jo'burg where it was...put it this way, quite problematic to turn around. I assume CMB transit security staff see this a lot more often? There's definitely no need to prepare to bribe etc?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.

However, when I was doing a turnaround with CX in SIN (4 hour stopover) last week, the ground staff at HKG refused to issue the return boarding pass and said they could not do it. In that situation should I insist or ask their supervisor for assistance?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

However, when I was doing a turnaround with CX in SIN (4 hour stopover) last week, the ground staff at HKG refused to issue the return boarding pass and said they could not do it. In that situation should I insist or ask their supervisor for assistance?
Insist to see their supervisor.
I've done CMB turnaround many times too... easy to get BP in HKG
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium

They have never declined me before. Although one time an agent told me not to do OLCI on the return leg so they can link the outbound and inbound together to issue the inbound boarding pass. She said if OLCI is done then they can still issue it but it'll just take longer. FYI I waited for 10 mins that time for her to get me the inbound boarding pass (as I have done OLCI). I think that's the trick.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:33 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

For SIN you can just issue the boarding pass yourself using mobile boarding pass.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:55 pm

CMB has transfer counters which are very easy to access (right next to inbound passport control) without going through security. I wouldn't even worry if I don't get the return BP at HKG - just go to the transit counter upon arrival.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stargold
CMB has transfer counters which are very easy to access (right next to inbound passport control) without going through security. I wouldn't even worry if I don't get the return BP at HKG - just go to the transit counter upon arrival.

What will happen if inbound delayed for i.e. 30 minutes and OP was to late for the transit counter for check in?

What will airlines normally do if this was booked on two separate tickets, same airline, would they rebook you and provide with a hotel?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
On a related note, do people bother to get a Sri Lanka visa when doing these turnaround flights just to be safe?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
Originally Posted by JeCCo
On a related note, do people bother to get a Sri Lanka visa when doing these turnaround flights just to be safe?
I did my first time. Not anymore.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Mafai
I did my first time. Not anymore.
Yes, you won't need to go through immigration at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.