Wiki Posts
Search

Turning around in CMB? (CX611/610)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JeCCo
On a related note, do people bother to get a Sri Lanka visa when doing these turnaround flights just to be safe?
I do. It's free, takes <5 minutes, and simply puts your visa in the Immigration computers just in case you want to enter. The way I look at it, it keeps open for me the possibility of visiting the checkin desks for any one of a number of reasons. If I don't use it, I don't use it.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I do. It's free, takes <5 minutes, and simply puts your visa in the Immigration computers just in case you want to enter. The way I look at it, it keeps open for me the possibility of visiting the checkin desks for any one of a number of reasons. If I don't use it, I don't use it.
The last time I tried to enter CMB (on a turnaround) on the free transit visa I was told off by the immigration officer for getting the wrong visa (transit involves country A => CMB => country C). They still let me through though in the end.

Ultimately, if you really need to enter CMB, you can always buy a visa on arrival
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ermen
The last time I tried to enter CMB (on a turnaround) on the free transit visa I was told off by the immigration officer for getting the wrong visa (transit involves country A => CMB => country C). They still let me through though in the end.

Ultimately, if you really need to enter CMB, you can always buy a visa on arrival
Just transitting at CMB, arriving CX611, transit desk has a long queue, waited about 30 minutes for my turn, if you don't pick up your return boarding pass at HKG, chances are you are not likely to make it, so do whatever you could at HKG to get both boarding passes.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Just transitting at CMB, arriving CX611, transit desk has a long queue, waited about 30 minutes for my turn, if you don't pick up your return boarding pass at HKG, chances are you are not likely to make it, so do whatever you could at HKG to get both boarding passes.
This is just theoretical advice....but:

If you guys are doing this, and the transit desk is as ausrivers describes, i totally DON'T recommend going to the transit desk. Why bother? CMB is an integrated arrival/departure area right?

You should just wave down a CX staff at the gate area and tell them your situation. Is a BP required to clear security? If so, have a pax go in or security guard tell the CX staff inside there's a passenger outside who must speak to them. If no BP is required, then just clear security and go inside to the gate entrance and talk to the CX staff.

This is a lot better than going to the transit desk. All you need is a BP, after all. The gate agents can have the CX check in staff print it out and bring it to you....

Take advantage of the layout of the airport....these integrated arrival/departure airports should be very easy even if you don't have a BP, because CX staff are right there at the gate very close to you even without being all the way airside.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ermen
Interesting. On my trips, I've never been asked at Immigration to show a boarding pass for my next flight.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:17 am

I've done the CMB turnaround a couple of times, and have been rejected multiple times when I asked for the return boarding pass.

Twice, it was at the city check in at HK Station. The agent gave me a long lecture on why he would not do it, and that he knew that ex CMB tickets are cheaper, and that i shouldn't be doing it, blah blah. Man, that was a painful experience.

Another time was at the Wing J lounge. The lounge agent kept telling me to go to the PCs downstairs to print out my own boarding passes.

I didn't insist and just got my boarding passes at the CMB transfer desk.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by carmy
Twice, it was at the city check in at HK Station. The agent gave me a long lecture on why he would not do it, and that he knew that ex CMB tickets are cheaper, and that i shouldn't be doing it, blah blah. Man, that was a painful experience.
What?! You had a CX check-in agent give you grief about where your ticket originated?! That's incredible. What a joke.

I would love them to try that stunt; if the situation permitted, I would be thrilled to cancel the ticket on the spot and book on a competitor. I've bought some CX tickets from Taipei before to North America - usually discounted J in I or D, although I've also paid full freight J too. I think if this was the case, I'd cancel my CX trip right there on the spot and rebook on BR in J class. And I'd do it from my mobile in front of the check-in agent. I'd happily pay more for the pleasure. I can't believe a check-in agent gave you grief. WHen did this happen?

I assumed they don't care where the ticket is sold; it's filling metal, and I doubt someone going to an outport is really cannibalizing ex-HKG revenues. I can't believe they gave you a lecture on a ticket they themselves sold you. Who cares the price. Unbelievably arrogant.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i doubt checkin agent has intelligence nor morale to challenge you.

but i avoid CMB turn... i have a rule not to turn around on third world countries (no offence) as i got in major trouble at indonedia security in the past.... just stick to tpe... easy as a breeze
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
I've done the CMB turnaround a couple of times, and have been rejected multiple times when I asked for the return boarding pass.

Another time was at the Wing J lounge. The lounge agent kept telling me to go to the PCs downstairs to print out my own boarding passes.

I didn't insist and just got my boarding passes at the CMB transfer desk.
I am shocked that the agent had a go at you re: ex-CMB ticket and declined to issue the return boarding pass. I have done CMB turns a few times before and I had absolutely no trouble getting the boarding passes. The agent I had were all very helpful. I guess being a DM it might help as it's not worth pissing off a DM. But still, what's so difficult for the agent to issue the return boarding pass? I don't see their argument here.

The issue with CMB is that it is one of the few outports that does not support mobile boarding passes. Do we know why this is the case?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I am shocked that the agent had a go at you re: ex-CMB ticket and declined to issue the return boarding pass. I have done CMB turns a few times before and I had absolutely no trouble getting the boarding passes. The agent I had were all very helpful.
I'm just GO, so maybe that makes a difference? Might be a different guy, but both times I had a skinny HK male checkin agent at Hong Kong station. This happened just two weeks ago, and March earlier this year.

What was surprising was how unhelpful the agent at the Wing J was. He just repeatedly said he cannot print boarding passes, and told me to do it myself at the PCs downstairs. When I told him I was leaving CMB and needed the actual boarding pass, he just flat out refused. He's a slightly plump (by Asian standards) HK male at the Wing J lounge.

Anyway, my point is that it may not always be possible to pick up your BP at HKG. It just depends on how lazy or hardworking the agent is feeling that particular day.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I'm just GO, so maybe that makes a difference? Might be a different guy, but both times I had a skinny HK male checkin agent at Hong Kong station. This happened just two weeks ago, and March earlier this year.

What was surprising was how unhelpful the agent at the Wing J was. He just repeatedly said he cannot print boarding passes, and told me to do it myself at the PCs downstairs. When I told him I was leaving CMB and needed the actual boarding pass, he just flat out refused. He's a slightly plump (by Asian standards) HK male at the Wing J lounge.

Anyway, my point is that it may not always be possible to pick up your BP at HKG. It just depends on how lazy or hardworking the agent is feeling that particular day.
Was this in Cantonese or English? I am thinking it might be easier to ask in Cantonese in this scenario. Quite concerned since I'm quite sensitive to snafus that can happen in turnarounds...
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not print the BP at home or office before you head out to the HK airport?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium

First of all, sorry to hear that.

I'd be mad if they refuse to issue me the return boarding pass. Either they give me a valid reason (and that I accept or challenge) or I will file an official complaint to MPO/Customer relation team. Whist I don't always agree customer is always right but in this instance not honoring a customer's request without a justified reason and quite frankly being rude (to you) is unacceptable. I have not come across an agent who is that blunt/rude so far. Let's hope I will never run into one.

FYI just on this Friday (4th Nov) I headed to Singapore for a work trip overnight. Checked in at HKIA and the agent even offered me the return boarding pass on the following day. I politely declined as I said I have checked bag so it makes little sense I grab it then (vs. have it issued at Changi when I check my bag). So there are still agents who are hard working I think
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
in culture like HK, the best is ask for their full name politely. there's no need to argue or put a show. Just get their exact name, repeat in front of them, saying "ok I've marked your name down it seems you need further training" and leave it at that. It's not a threat, but the fact the agent become "named" as opposed to "one of the guy at the desk" takes it to a whole new personal level, and they will try to defend it. no need for threat or colorful language, I find marking down their name in front of them, a full name, recording on paper and look at your clock to mark the time to be best way to get things down if you are right and they are wrong.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Does any one know the reason the check in agent prefer not to issue return boarding pass? What kind of potential problem that could cause?

I've done some turn around at HGH for work, arriving morning at 10:10 and leave at 19:15, every time I see the return boarding pass came out automatically and they refuse to give it to me. Well I never insist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.