Wiki Posts
Search

Bike bag & oversize fees

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Bike bag & oversize fees

I am planning on bringing my bike back to the US through SYD-HKG-JFK.

I got a Evoc bike bag for the trip - total dimension 135 x 80 x 38 cm, which is 253 cm, 50 cm over the limit. http://www.evocsports.com/bike/bike-...ike-travel-bag

I called Cathay Pacific to register my sporting equipment.

Because it is "oversize" they said it is going to cost me 4x the cost of $190 (zone 3 to zone 5) -- a whopping $760 -- regardless of it being one of my free checkin luggages (I get 3 due to emerald status).

It is super hard to believe that people with bike bags are consistently paying this kind of fee to ship their bikes.

What gives? Am I missing something in communicating it is a bike bag?? Or am I screwed?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:34 pm

I've read that it might be wiser to describe it as "sports equipment" and leave it at that, if you can. But I've not tried this myself.

Some threads over at bikeforums, but outside of that I can't offer specific advice/suggestions. Can you "de-register" and check their T&Cs for specific guidance?

Anyone fly international with maximum sized luggage?

Getting your bike and box to the airport, a personal account

Airlines are making bicycle transport more difficult.

I've never used this bikeflights service, but it may be worth considering. Not cheap, however.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
About 6-7 years ago, I was quoted HKD2700 for a oversized checked luggage HKG-SFO. I was initially quoted HKD900 because they thought it was not too much above 62". However, it was over 100" (forgot what the second limit was). The cost became HKD2700.

If they were charging that much for a DM, I do not expect they will quote any less for other members or OWE/OWS.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Inasked them n theyvsaid for owe itd b foc, just for normal weight limits. Never trip never materialized so im not sure if thatvwas true however(all on canto hotline)
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Just an update.

I asked someone to speak to a HK agent and got a much more clear response, but the situation remains the same.

Bottom line is CX is pretty evil toward sporting equipment.

I am having a friend take my bike using Air New Zealand SYD-ROT and then Hawaiian AKL-HNL-JFK, two separate itineraries, for a THIRD of the quoted CX price.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: CX DM
Maybe I'm lucky but I've done countless trips with a Trico Ironcase which is 220cm and only been charged once when CX introduced a bike charge quietly a few years ago - since withdrawn. Had no problems for the last few years but maybe the 100" / 250cm is their limit
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clazza
Maybe I'm lucky but I've done countless trips with a Trico Ironcase which is 220cm and only been charged once when CX introduced a bike charge quietly a few years ago - since withdrawn. Had no problems for the last few years but maybe the 100" / 250cm is their limit
It's interesting - the limit is actually 203cm.

What killed it finally was I could get stuck at the airport with my bike and a $760 fee with no other option but to pay. Otherwise I should just pay $190 as an extra bag max. I spent considerable time (> 2hr) on the phone getting clarifications and could not absolutely confirm things would be OK.

Anyways, I don't take chances except when I'm on the trail or in Vegas. Since CX can't be clear in their bike policy (which you have just demonstrated) next time I travel with my bike I won't be flying CX.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Last year I decided to bring my road bike over to Thailand. I had my local bicycle store package it up in one of the usual large, flat bike boxes. (TSA opened and inspected it at both BOS and ORD. They resealed it well, with everything packed properly. I was actually impressed.) I redeemed an AA F award for BOS-ORD (AA F), ORD-HKG (CX F) and HKG-BKK (CX J). There was no charge on any leg.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Last year I decided to bring my road bike over to Thailand. I had my local bicycle store package it up in one of the usual large, flat bike boxes. (TSA opened and inspected it at both BOS and ORD. They resealed it well, with everything packed properly. I was actually impressed.) I redeemed an AA F award for BOS-ORD (AA F), ORD-HKG (CX F) and HKG-BKK (CX J). There was no charge on any leg.
What is the size of the box? CX told me to pack the bicycle in a smaller box, but there was not enough time to do it.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've transported my bike a few times from SYD-HKG and back with it disassembled into the standard cardboard box.

When emailing CX to confirm, we suggested to use the box measurements that QF applies: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lobal/en#jump0 which CX were fine with (perhaps because we were flying from Aus).

Flying Y for these trips but were definitely never charged extra for the bike - I don't recall them even weighing the box or checking the measurements, we were just directed to the oversize baggage desk after check-in which in SYD is right next to the CX desks.

Agree that the lack of clarity from CX is annoying on this.

Last edited by JeCCo; Dec 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Two months ago, I brought a 200x50x50 cm box full of stuff. I think I was overweight, but only about 25 kg for it.

Anyways the agent said she needed to charge me, but would only charge the bare minimum of $100 USD. It however was not sporting equipment. I flew with snowboards and that usually seems fine.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:08 pm

I thought bike can be checked for free

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...equipment.html
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...allowance.html

4. The following articles, irrespective of their actual dimensions, may be considered as a bag of 158cm (62in) in size:

A bicycle can be accepted as check-in baggage, provided that the following requirements of the bicycle are met:
Non-motorized touring / racing single-seat bicycle
Handlebars are fixed and tightened sideways or parallel to the frame or enclosed in plastic foam or similar material
Pedals are removed or fixed inwards or enclosed in plastic foam or similar material
Tyres are deflated
Passenger must pack bicycle in a strong and protective hard case or recognised bicycle box.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by LchChester
I have not attempted checking a bicycle for 6-7 years. It does seem that a bicycle can be checked for free regardless of dimension.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by relberger
I am planning on bringing my bike back to the US through SYD-HKG-JFK.

I got a Evoc bike bag for the trip - total dimension 135 x 80 x 38 cm, which is 253 cm, 50 cm over the limit. http://www.evocsports.com/bike/bike-...ike-travel-bag

I called Cathay Pacific to register my sporting equipment.

Because it is "oversize" they said it is going to cost me 4x the cost of $190 (zone 3 to zone 5) -- a whopping $760 -- regardless of it being one of my free checkin luggages (I get 3 due to emerald status).

It is super hard to believe that people with bike bags are consistently paying this kind of fee to ship their bikes.

What gives? Am I missing something in communicating it is a bike bag?? Or am I screwed?
do not preregister

as far as I'm aware unless you're on a prop plane/regional jet you don't have to. (small planes = small cargo hold, might not be able to carry bike bag)

I've carried my bike through my bike bag numerous times on CX and VS Y with no status. No bike charges at all. No oversize. Just show up at the airport. Your evoc bag will be fine - similar size to my generic oem bike bag.

Edit: CX and VS do not charge for bike bags unlike most airlines as long as you stay within the standard 23kg weight limit which is easily doable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.