Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR first impressions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
All else being equal would those who fly this route (both JFK and EWR) recommend EWRHKG or JFKHKG in J?

Multiple JFKHKG timings are available.

My initial though is that J service can be better when there is no F on the plane which would be a point for EWRHKG and also if I'm not mistaken there are fewer J seats on EWRHKG than JFKHKG (could be totally wrong)
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:12 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
EWR first impressions

I was booked on the EWR service and switched to the JFK service stopping in Vancouver. Everyone has different strategies but my thought was...

Had a 10AM connection to DPS to make and didn't want to overnight in HKG which leaves EWR, similarly timed JFK flight, or the YVR connection.

Assumption was on the 15 hour non stop flight strategy would be to stay up the first half and sleep the second half which seemed rough given the departure timing.

The YVR stopover was an earlier departure so I figure we can stay up to YVR, have a night cap after, and then get a long rest.

If something happens to the YVR flight I atleast have a shot at the midnight flight at JFK.

Should availability open up I could upgrade to F.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
All else being equal would those who fly this route (both JFK and EWR) recommend EWRHKG or JFKHKG in J?

Multiple JFKHKG timings are available.

My initial though is that J service can be better when there is no F on the plane which would be a point for EWRHKG and also if I'm not mistaken there are fewer J seats on EWRHKG than JFKHKG (could be totally wrong)
you are correct
the 77G is to cater to the economy dominant market ( i e had CX launched these 77G routes a decade earlier they would have been on A340 aircraft)

The 77H is a overly premium plane onle 275 passengers , gives CX more cargo capacity as well.

as some pilots say CX is a cargo airline that carries passengers on the side.

so 77G- 40 J seats.
77H - 53 J seats plus 6 F
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by bdohmen
I was booked on the EWR service and switched to the JFK service stopping in Vancouver. Everyone has different strategies but my thought was...

Had a 10AM connection to DPS to make and didn't want to overnight in HKG which leaves EWR, similarly timed JFK flight, or the YVR connection.

Assumption was on the 15 hour non stop flight strategy would be to stay up the first half and sleep the second half which seemed rough given the departure timing.

The YVR stopover was an earlier departure so I figure we can stay up to YVR, have a night cap after, and then get a long rest.

If something happens to the YVR flight I atleast have a shot at the midnight flight at JFK.

Should availability open up I could upgrade to F.
Mate, hands down I'd take the nonstop. Ideally ex JFK due to greater flexibility in off chance of tech problem, but I'd still chose EWR over cx889 (via yvr) any day. You're overthinking it. Like many posters on here, I've done my fair share of tpacs, to the clip of 15-20 one ways annually for the lasr many years on CX. No way you could convince me to do 888/889 anymore unless I had some significant reason.... Aka no F availability on other flights, price insanely cheaper, etc. All else nearly equal no chance I'd do that.

As for the upgrade, assuming you know you'll need Asia Miles to do that, partner points cannot be used to upgrade.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Mate, hands down I'd take the nonstop. Ideally ex JFK due to greater flexibility in off chance of tech problem, but I'd still chose EWR over cx889 (via yvr) any day. You're overthinking it. Like many posters on here, I've done my fair share of tpacs, to the clip of 15-20 one ways annually for the lasr many years on CX. No way you could convince me to do 888/889 anymore unless I had some significant reason.... Aka no F availability on other flights, price insanely cheaper, etc. All else nearly equal no chance I'd do that.
Count me in as a big fan of 889 (and a moderate fan of 888), particularly in F (the more time in F, the better!). Like the prior poster said, the departure is at a more reasonable time, so you can enjoy a full late dinner on board, try and stay awake to YVR, have some caviar upon departure from YVR, and sleep most of the way into HKG. The several extra hours of flight time are not an issue for me, as the departure from JFK is still late enough to get a full day in, and the arrival is still early enough for same.

888 works well if you have a dinner in HKG (and there is no late-night nonstop as opposed to ex-NYC), but the main drawback of that flight is the forced disembarkation into the holding lounge at YVR.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Just wanted to report additional info without starting a new topic.

At check-in today overheard argument ahead of me, apparently a lady got downgraded from J to Y+ and was very not happy. When it's my turn I asked about how often that happens, and surprisingly the agent said almost everyday as ex-EWR flights are almost always sold out in J class. Also was told usually every flight is fully booked in all three classes.

Looks like EWR is a winner!
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Like the poster above said - somewhat strange that someone is downgraded.

In fact, even stranger to say downgrading happens almost everyday.

What did you mean?
Well, that agent told me all classes are regularly overbooked for these daily EWR flights. So downgrades happen "almost everyday"
What is the likelihood that passengers on biz award tickets get downgraded? And if you do, can you cancel the award ticket and rebook without penalty?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AE
Any new feedback on the CX899 flight from Newark ? Is the service and catering in J at the same level as J on the CX flights from JFK ?

thanks
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
ex-JFK anyday, the lounge options at JFK will be greatly improved beginning next January!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.