Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR first impressions

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Like the poster above said - somewhat strange that someone is downgraded.

In fact, even stranger to say downgrading happens almost everyday.

What did you mean?
Well, that agent told me all classes are regularly overbooked for these daily EWR flights. So downgrades happen "almost everyday"
Old May 18, 2014, 4:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
At check-in today overheard argument ahead of me, apparently a lady got downgraded from J to Y+ and was very not happy. When it's my turn I asked about how often that happens, and surprisingly the agent said almost everyday as ex-EWR flights are almost always sold out in J class. Also was told usually every flight is fully booked in all three classes.!
Sounds like we won't be seeing you appear in J any time soon?
Old May 18, 2014, 8:04 am

Well, that agent told me all classes are regularly overbooked for these daily EWR flights. So downgrades happen "almost everyday"
Not sure if I even follow this - in case of over-booking, the excess passengers get bumped off. Esp if every class is over-booked. Downgrading does not solve the problem.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Not sure if I even follow this - in case of over-booking, the excess passengers get bumped off. Esp if every class is over-booked. Downgrading does not solve the problem.
I was on an ICN-HKG flight a few years ago that they asked some J passengers to voluntarily downgrade.

If they downgrade J passengers on an overbooked flight, some Y passengers will lose their seats.

It is just strange they regularly overbooked J. CX should improve on controlling inventory.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
It doesn't solve the bumping problem in the sense of number of pax bumped, but it does allow the business class passenger to fly (at the cost of a bumped economy passenger)
Old May 26, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AA CK; UA 1P
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere:

Have any MPC members encountered success or difficulty obtaining a lounge invite at EWR when flying Y+ or Y?

Thanks.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by senatestaffer
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere:

Have any MPC members encountered success or difficulty obtaining a lounge invite at EWR when flying Y+ or Y?

Thanks.
Not for the BA Galleries lounge in EWR. But they have always REFUSED to give me Arrival Lounge invitation because they claimed "as transit through HKIA pax you are not eligible to get it", I'm tired of arguing with them on such so decided not to bother, and just enter the lounge based on my boarding pass.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Not for the BA Galleries lounge in EWR. But they have always REFUSED to give me Arrival Lounge invitation because they claimed "as transit through HKIA pax you are not eligible to get it", I'm tired of arguing with them on such so decided not to bother, and just enter the lounge based on my boarding pass.
I assume that your transit is more than 4 hours?

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-arrival.html
Old May 27, 2014, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I assume that your transit is more than 4 hours?

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-arrival.html
Definitely more than 4 hours. Which I like to use to do some business in HK to save me the time of having to spend more than one day in the city, and of course it would be nice to take care of business with a clean showered body and new sets of clothes rather then smelling like you've just flew 15 hours.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:25 am

Arriving at EWR

Can someone shed light on what to expect in terms Immigration lines at EWR when CX arrives? Is that a busy time or are lines manageable? Thank you.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:15 pm

EWR international terminal is usually pretty quiet by the time CX arrives at 9-10pm. Most transatlantic flights have already arrived except the late night express from LHR on BA/VS.

Carfield
Old May 30, 2014, 6:03 am

Thank you.
Student travelling solo.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Can someone shed light on what to expect in terms Immigration lines at EWR when CX arrives? Is that a busy time or are lines manageable? Thank you.
Let me be more specific, you can expect NOBODY but CX pax. So if you sit up front, you will cross the custom in less than 10 minutes, most likely 5 minutes. You will spend more time waiting for luggage thought...
Old May 31, 2014, 1:44 am

Let me be more specific, you can expect NOBODY but CX pax. So if you sit up front, you will cross the custom in less than 10 minutes, most likely 5 minutes. You will spend more time waiting for luggage thought...
Thank you.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 .5 MM
I arrived into EWR on Thursday night and immigration had a long line on the right side. I am Global Entry so I did not notice if that side was non US citizens but it was not my CX flight as I was in business and cleared as one of the first few. As for the flight it was good except had a group of guys in Business that we not considerate of others especially be a night flight. Talking a lot and open and closing storage bins an unusually amount of times. And yes it's 3:07 am here in Miami and I have not gotten back on my normal sleep schedule, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.