Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR first impressions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Flight schedules can only go so far in predicting the lines at immigration on a given day. Given that the CX flight arrives EWR so late, immigration will typically be staffed to process only that flight. If one or two arrivals get delayed and arrive just before/at the same time as CX, I would imagine that the lines would be rather long, as immigration was staffed to process only one flight but now has to process two or three.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by GE90-115B
Was she involuntarily downgraded or did she get "op-downed" after being op-upped. If she was holding a legitimate J ticket then is she a nobody at CX (aka with no FFP status whatsoever)?
All - is EWRHKG high risk? I've seen several examples of significant delays, crews timing out, staff not being helpful, not being able reticket to JFK given the departure hour, downgrades, etc. Granted, maybe the majority of flights operate without a flaw. But I'm spooked.

My wife and kids are flying this route in J later in the summer. Zero status, on AA awards (but issued from my account, and I enjoy the highest conceivable AA status which at least helps in getting the phone answered). Should I be monitoring JFKHKG to see if I can move them over? Only reason I didn't book it this way initially is that J awards weren't available except on day flights (and they are pushing through to DPS so early am departure from NYC is desirable).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance - Jamie
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:20 pm

Location: Shanghai, Beijing, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Vancouver
Programs: A3 Gold, CX, CA, PCR Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, 1865 Voyager
I have just experience EWR last week from my flight CX899.

Previously I have read a number of negative reviews on the airport, so I am not having high expectation. Actually it's not too bad as far as the whole experience was concerned. CX flight 899 is the last one on the day, so the whole airport was fairly quite and it took me 10 minutes to pass the immigration control and then to the BA Galleries lounge.

Quite nice lounge, we have snacks, drinks and famous CX cup noodles . I've stayed in the lounge for two hours.

So next time I think I will come back to EWR again.

Last edited by twydeutschland; Jul 3, 2014 at 12:07 am
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by twydeutschland
I have just experience EWR last week from my flight CX899.

Previously I have read a number of negative reviews on the airport, so I am not having low expectation. Actually it's not too bad as far as the whole experience was concerned. CX flight 899 is the last one on the day, so the whole airport was fairly quite and it took me 10 minutes to pass the immigration control and then to the BA Galleries lounge.

Quite nice lounge, we have snacks, drinks and famous CX cup noodles . I've stayed in the lounge for two hours.

So next time I think I will come back to EWR again.
Immigration control on departure???
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Yeah i was wondering about that too. The US doesn't have immigration on departures...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:56 pm

Nice info on this particular flight, schedule to be on J next month, what is served for the meal service after take off, wasn't sure if it is a light snack or a full 3 course meal?

Is there something in between first meal service after take off and breakfast ~2 before landing?

I think I might be hungry about half way into the flight...that's about 13-14 hours apart between meal services...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:29 pm

The gentleman was most probably referring to the procedure for leaving. While your passport is not stamped on exit, there is still a desk where you need to wave (or be waved through), separately x-rays etc.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
The gentleman was most probably referring to the procedure for leaving. While your passport is not stamped on exit, there is still a desk where you need to wave (or be waved through), separately x-rays etc.
What are you talking about?

There is security screening, but there are no emmigration control checks in the U.S.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:42 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
What are you talking about?

There is security screening, but there are no emmigration control checks in the U.S.
Although twydeutschland says immigration, I think they are just referring to the general procedures you need to go through to get airside - security checks.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
I've taken the flight now oh 3 times out of EWR. Fares for J via our corporate travel agency were quite a bit less then JFK is the only reason i did. Departure time SUCKS. Loads have been light on all flights so unless things improve i don't expect this route to last long.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grahampros
I've taken the flight now oh 3 times out of EWR. Fares for J via our corporate travel agency were quite a bit less then JFK is the only reason i did. Departure time SUCKS. Loads have been light on all flights so unless things improve i don't expect this route to last long.
Very interesting, completely different than my experience where loads are high and the gate agents tells me about them having to frequent downgrade people because all three cabins regularly sold out. Which is consistent based on my numerous trips through EWR and what I see on the flight: full.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Very interesting, completely different than my experience where loads are high and the gate agents tells me about them having to frequent downgrade people because all three cabins regularly sold out. Which is consistent based on my numerous trips through EWR and what I see on the flight: full.
Hopefully it makes it and may just be start up pains. But in my flights J has never been more then half full ( where the money is). Y looked pretty full.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

AirTrain back on July 3rd

Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 12:18 PM
Subject: Newark Airport Info-Alert

AirTrain service at Newark Liberty Int'l Airport will resume service beginning Thursday, July 3 at 4:30 am. Thank you for your patience during the recent service suspension.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

update on EWR changes

Update on some EWR changes I saw today:

1) They are now giving out First Class Luggage Tags for DM members.

2) Priority check-in pax now have their own gate. In the past it's two gates that serves all pax. Even though priority pax got called first, but usually between the time they called lounge, lounge announcement, and elite pax walking to the gates, the ground staff already started to let in Y pax and elite pax had to literally cut through them to get up front. Now two separate gates to better manage traffic.

Another minor difference I saw on flight (not EWR related), the IFE used to say "Hong Kong Cinema" as a tab option under movies, now it's renamed "Chinese Movies", no big deal, but just something different I saw.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GO, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Update on some EWR changes I saw today:

1) They are now giving out First Class Luggage Tags for DM members.

2) Priority check-in pax now have their own gate. In the past it's two gates that serves all pax. Even though priority pax got called first, but usually between the time they called lounge, lounge announcement, and elite pax walking to the gates, the ground staff already started to let in Y pax and elite pax had to literally cut through them to get up front. Now two separate gates to better manage traffic.

Another minor difference I saw on flight (not EWR related), the IFE used to say "Hong Kong Cinema" as a tab option under movies, now it's renamed "Chinese Movies", no big deal, but just something different I saw.

Thanks Cathay Boy. Came home from EWR about 10 days ago and still had the Business Class Tag - so this must be brand new. I'm off again on Friday so looking forward to having first tagged bags on my return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.