Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Premium Economy Experiences and Thoughts [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Premium Economy Experiences and Thoughts [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver)
Interesting read, so I thiught I would add my thoughts.
Just flew LHR HKG PER.
For LHR HKG I found the space good, but helped by the PEY cabin being half full. Had a centre row to myself. My only problem was they turned the cabin temperature down so low I needed two blankets.
Boarding was good, the initial call was for business and PEY. Pre flight dring was served promptly.

I would rate the whole CX PEY experience as between QF, which is very much business light, and BA, which is just Y with a bigger seat, with CX closer to the QF end of the scale.

I was interested to see the price discussions earlier. From the UK booking through CX was £600 less than the BA option.

The HKG PER leg was superb, but I did score my first ever opup after too many years and too many flights.
Old May 5, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
I think that bulkhead should simply have a handhold that would enable shuffling across without 'Astairing' and the inevitable bumping--usually a balance and not a space issue trying to traverse that first row.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by CaptRobPhD
I think that bulkhead should simply have a handhold that would enable shuffling across without 'Astairing' and the inevitable bumping--usually a balance and not a space issue trying to traverse that first row.
I look at it as this: Those 4 seats are the best in the cabin, they get a very comfortable legrest, they don't have a claustrophobic space created by the seatback in front of them, they can deal with the cross-traffic to the bathroom as a consequence.

Furthermore, those pax don't help themselves much either as they tend to leave backpacks, pillows, socks, magazines, shoes, and blankets strewn on the floor area leaving those who have to cross over a minefield to navigate in the dark anyway.

BJ
Old May 6, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Yeah, I dig ... taken those seats last 6 TPAC legs on CX. I know 'consequences' of taking seat but there is still an ergonomic solution that would help. I've never complained about shufflers but I am also equally carefully Astairing across the other peoples' space regardless.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I'm flying 16MAY/CX806 and in PE and the flight is totally full up:

F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y6 B6 H3 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

I only got this seat after waitlisting for more than 2 months, and that's for a CX GO trying to get a proper revenue seat. Crazy.

Problem is that I'm now stuck in a middle seat. This would be the first time I travel long haul in a middle seat, probably ever, and I'm not looking forward to it.

How much turnover is there likely to be between now and departure and in other people's experience is an aisle or window likely to open up? Or am I really stuck in the middle?

Or, if all else fails, an op-up perhaps might be on the cards?

Also, what is going on? I've checked few days before/after and many flights are this full. Why is this route so busy?
Old May 9, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: Thai
Originally Posted by boltjames
I look at it as this: Those 4 seats are the best in the cabin, they get a very comfortable legrest, they don't have a claustrophobic space created by the seatback in front of them, they can deal with the cross-traffic to the bathroom as a consequence.

Furthermore, those pax don't help themselves much either as they tend to leave backpacks, pillows, socks, magazines, shoes, and blankets strewn on the floor area leaving those who have to cross over a minefield to navigate in the dark anyway.

BJ
No, the best seats are 31 A & C. Even more legroom because of the emergency exit and nobody crossing in front of you.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cameron38
No, the best seats are 31 A & C. Even more legroom because of the emergency exit and nobody crossing in front of you.
Some might prefer the extra windows. Depending on the 77G or H.
On the 4-class 777, there's only a tiny window at 31A.

On the 77H's 32K, and 77G's 30A and 30K, there's 3 bright windows next to you.
Most PEY A/K seats avg ~2 windows.

Only 77H have a delicated PEY toilet, so for those that want the view / extra windows...they might go for 32HK.

Last edited by CanucksHKG; May 9, 2014 at 6:45 pm
Old May 9, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by midlevels
I'm flying 16MAY/CX806 and in PE and the flight is totally full up:

F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y6 B6 H3 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

I only got this seat after waitlisting for more than 2 months, and that's for a CX GO trying to get a proper revenue seat. Crazy.

Problem is that I'm now stuck in a middle seat. This would be the first time I travel long haul in a middle seat, probably ever, and I'm not looking forward to it.

How much turnover is there likely to be between now and departure and in other people's experience is an aisle or window likely to open up? Or am I really stuck in the middle?

Or, if all else fails, an op-up perhaps might be on the cards?

Also, what is going on? I've checked few days before/after and many flights are this full. Why is this route so busy?
I'm also on 806/807 a week or so after you are, in PEY, and agree that the flights are looking unusually full. I think it has something to do with the end of the academic year in the U.S., especially for colleges (parents and students shuttling back and forth to and from commencement) and the early stage of the summer vacation season?
Old May 11, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Are the exit row and bulkhead seats usually blocked till check-in?
Have a ORD-HKG-BOM RT coming up.
77G and 77H and 33G.
Have selected the last row seats :
77H-34K (coz of the lavatory)
77G-33K
33G-33A

Should i bother for the first bulkhead seats Or are there bassinets in front of all of them?
All of the bulkhead seats are occupied right now and no other seats except mine have been taken.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
First time sitting in Premium Economy on today's flight from HKG-SIN, it was an A333 on a 2-3-2 seating configuration (4 rows) right behind Business Class.

I do like the spacious legroom and armrest. All seats were filled up as well.

Last edited by lcpteck; May 12, 2014 at 12:21 pm
Old May 12, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: CX and Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG

Only 77H have a delicated PEY toilet, so for those that want the view / extra windows...they might go for 32HK.
I had sat on 30A, C and 32H and K. Personally I prefer the 32K as I get 2 windows, don't have to trek over 4 people to get the bathroom and has the storage pocket in front. 30A and C are fine also, just missing the window and the storage pocket. This is for flying on a 77H on the HKG-SFO route.
Old May 12, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Makecry
Are the exit row and bulkhead seats usually blocked till check-in?
Have a ORD-HKG-BOM RT coming up.
77G and 77H and 33G.
Have selected the last row seats :
77H-34K (coz of the lavatory)
77G-33K
33G-33A

Should i bother for the first bulkhead seats Or are there bassinets in front of all of them?
All of the bulkhead seats are occupied right now and no other seats except mine have been taken.
Yes if you dont have status. They are priority seats one oneworld elites
Old May 12, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: Thai
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG

I usually fly at night so windows are useless anyway. And even if flying during the day, most of the time the shades are down so people can watch video.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold; AE; AA Platinum; Club Carlson Gold; SPG Gold; HHonorsGold, Accor Platinum
I just came back from my first CX PEY trip YVR-HKG-KUL and I have to say it was definitely worth the extra cost above regular economy. My last CX trip was in J so I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable PEY was for me. I don't usually sleep on planes, but I got 7 hours sleep each way on the trans pacific routes. Boarding and service were fine - my only small complaint was that on the return HKG-YVR flight they didn't offer hot towels, were on the outbound we got it twice.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:47 pm

Cathay PE vs BA PE

I am planning to fly to DEL-JFK, LAS-DEL. I read reviews on both BA PE and Cathay PE.

I had flown BA PE in past, but never flown Cathay PE. Cathay PE is cheaper than BA PE. Is it worth trying Cathay PE over BA PE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.