Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Premium Economy Experiences and Thoughts [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Premium Economy Experiences and Thoughts [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

I flew both BA WT+ and CX PE. They are both pretty similar. CX PE is slightly newer with a cuter amenity kit. But baggage allowance and catering is pretty similar.

I will just go with the cheapest and most convenient option. If CX PE is cheaper, just go with it!

Carfield
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:03 pm

Thanks Carfield for your quick response.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by vivekbansal11
I had flown BA PE in past, but never flown Cathay PE. Cathay PE is cheaper than BA PE. Is it worth trying Cathay PE over BA PE?
If your routes have the new BA PE seats then there's not much difference between the two cabins. Take whichever suits you better routing/cost/time/mileage wise. If you are likely to get stuck in BA's old PE (on 747 and some 777-200 flights) then definitely go with CX, especially since it's cheaper.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by vivekbansal11
I am planning to fly to DEL-JFK, LAS-DEL. I read reviews on both BA PE and Cathay PE.

I had flown BA PE in past, but never flown Cathay PE. Cathay PE is cheaper than BA PE. Is it worth trying Cathay PE over BA PE?
I've posted about BA vs Cathay PEY before, but can't remember if it was on this thread.

Flown both CX and the new BA services.

If you want to sleep, then I would rate Cathay above BA as the Cathay seat appears to recline a bit further than the BA seat.

But both are a lot, lot, lot more comfortable than standard economy
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:11 am

Reviving an old thread because I guess it's the best place to ask.

Back in the day, I used to get upgraded to PEY for most short to medium haul flights like SIN and TPE as an emerald.

Recently, I've noticed I hardly ever get the upgrade to W anymore as a GO, especially ex-HK.

I'm not expecting anything, but I was just wondering if they've stopped upgrading GO and DM to W whenever available? Just curious to hear what others are experiencing.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:03 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Possibly because they are selling Y+ now. Not sure how successful they are in selling it on regional flights, but there is often Y+ redemption availability on these short hauls.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by carmy
Reviving an old thread because I guess it's the best place to ask.

Back in the day, I used to get upgraded to PEY for most short to medium haul flights like SIN and TPE as an emerald.

Recently, I've noticed I hardly ever get the upgrade to W anymore as a GO, especially ex-HK.

I'm not expecting anything, but I was just wondering if they've stopped upgrading GO and DM to W whenever available? Just curious to hear what others are experiencing.
It's most likely due to your CIV score. I recall sxc mentioning about similar experience.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: pleb
I thought I saw another thread or post about changes to premium economy dining but couldn't find anything so perhaps I remembered incorrectly. Recently flew CX845 JFK-HKG. Looks like dining has been downgraded in Y+. Both meals were from regular Y, where in the past it would be one from Y and one from J, r or slightly better than Y. Also there were no menus handed out. Is this the new norm now, or anyone else experience this?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by nightkhan
I thought I saw another thread or post about changes to premium economy dining but couldn't find anything so perhaps I remembered incorrectly. Recently flew CX845 JFK-HKG. Looks like dining has been downgraded in Y+. Both meals were from regular Y, where in the past it would be one from Y and one from J, r or slightly better than Y. Also there were no menus handed out. Is this the new norm now, or anyone else experience this?
Did you see any of the PEY and EY menus in the galley during the flight?
It's very strange that no menus were handed out. Starting from this year - since they switched to the extremely unpopular meal setup in PEY/EY, both PEY meals now have the same entrees as those in J (unless on some services where PEY has mid-flight meal and J has a different pre-landing meal, then PEY gets unique entrees, still different from EY). The appetizers in PEY are also different from EY now. While the food stuff has been upgraded the plating is unfortunately now more or less similar with that in EY, maybe that's why you thought they were Y meals.

Or else I am guessing either there was a catering SNAFU or the entire PEY were op ups, but I doubt and have no idea if only EY meals would be catered in this scenario.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:36 am

For 77G, 30A/C or 30H/K, am I able to select this seat without the status of CX?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Originally Posted by cyster2007
For 77G, 30A/C or 30H/K, am I able to select this seat without the status of CX?
Not for 30C or 30K, as they are reserved baby bassinet seat. They will need to be released prior to departure. As for 30A & 30K, you need lots of luck as they are the first to go. I guess I have another competitor on those seats now.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by JohnGreat
Not for 30C or 30K, as they are reserved baby bassinet seat. They will need to be released prior to departure. As for 30A & 30K, you need lots of luck as they are the first to go. I guess I have another competitor on those seats now.
Can I call CX and took the 30C or K first, if no baby on-board, I can keep it?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
You will probably keep the seat but they will seat the parent (and baby) next to you. Good luck (BYO earplugs)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Originally Posted by cyster2007
Can I call CX and took the 30C or K first, if no baby on-board, I can keep it?
No, for 30C or 30H, you are not allowed to reserved unless you have a baby(you will need to call CX to reserve). They will only release them couple of hours before departure and usually given to those with status or to their ID passenger, unless it's a very very lucky day for the standard passenger. You may reserved 30A or 30K online if it's not taken. So far, I never had a baby/child sit next to it since PEY inception and I fly 3X - 4X transpacific per year. I did asked prior to departure before if there's a baby seating in 30C or 30H and they(especially in HKG, somehow they tend to love DM and occasionally GO. SL means nothing) did 'lecture' me that if I am that concern I shouldn't have reserved those seat. I never asked them again. I will take that risk. For a 12-14 hrs flight, that bulkhead seat with 2-3 windows to myself plus extra leg room is a BIG bonus........ In addition, you can leave your seat anytime without troubling your neighbor.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:14 pm

Just to confirm, regional PE seat selection doesn't open until T-48?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.