Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Premium Economy Experiences and Thoughts [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Premium Economy Experiences and Thoughts [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Surely, they are not that obvious...or there to hang your coats and stuff, but I'm pretty sure there is one...
Long long post.

CanucksHKG: No, unfortunately there isn't a separate, dedicated crew. Crew are rostered into positions in EY, J and F on all flights (short haul and long-haul). The crew serving PEY is just one of the assigned EY positions. There is no specialty PEY-only position. It's just an additional responsible for the crew in addition to responsibilities in the back. They all have their duties about where they stand when you board the plane, but their assignments are known internally as Y, J and F based on which galley they're assigned to. There is no PEY position.

Alas, serving two classes of service from the same galley requires more work, despite the claims on here that fewer pax in PEY means less workload. I feel quite comfortable saying there's more work required of those EY FAs, not less, with the introduction of PEY. It's the pax who pay for it. And unfortunately to Carfield's suggestion, it's simply not permitted to offer more $$ to the EY-class crew who staffs the PEY section. Crew are paid on seniority, not assignments (aka, a crew stationed in J on a flight would earn the same as if she was stationed in EY class at his/her rate. Although J is generally perceived as easier given the single-class service and significantly fewer pax).

I think CX modified the service standards a little from the beginning in acknowledgement that the FAs stuck serving PEY are overloaded (hot towels and pre-flight drinks in PEY are now to be served by the J staff, I can't remember if one or both of those were originally served by EY staff a year ago), but there is still an obvious problem here and I don't see it getting rectified any time soon.

To me, I agree with most of the thoughts above spot on. I don't know how the crew issue is resolved, I think CX could stop slightly misleading advertising pretending PEY is a totally separate class of service when it really isn't. It's a superior seat not a class. And CX could cut some easy low-hanging fruit by giving PEY J class food...even on regional flights...and making sure to draw the curtains, and then basically marketing PEY as a place to get a superior hard product versus Y. Which it very clearly is, and I think those merits will stand on their own! It really is a fine product if that's the expectation IMO. Versus telling everyone via the adverts it's a separate class and whatever those expectations entail, when CX internally doesn't even treat PEY as a separate class! (see next paragraph). From experience, it can be harder to flag down a FA when seated in PEY than when seated in regular Y.

For those who lurk on this forum, we know what we're paying for. But I have a client from the US who certainly has no clue what FT is, and recently paid for PEY expecting 3rd class out of a 4 class experience....didn't just think he was getting the seat, but really an upgraded "experience" and better service than Y....and he was disappointed. I told him he should've just thought of it as an expanded seat, nothing else and ignored all the rest of the marketing BS. He probably would've been happy. But he bought all the nonsense about it was a separated cabin (on his flight, curtains weren't drawn), yadda yadda. Oops. I still think the expanded seat is 90% of the battle anyway, but having customer expectations right is a big part of customer happiness.

CX probably doesn't help the situation by not truly treating PEY as a separate class internally. If you ask why staff don't go above and beyond, one reason is CX doesn't offer the impression to crew that PEY is a truly differentiated experience. Not only are the crews from regular EY staffed into PEY (which they hate, because it basically just means more work for the same $), but staff ID tix can't even be purchased for PEY. EY, J or F only. I find it amusing that CX is making such a big deal to pax about PEY being a separate class but internally it's not as clear cut. And by not making it entirely clear-cut internally, you end up with staff on the planes who don't really see it as being different either, hence the lackadaisical attitude about closing curtains and whatnot.

I see it as a fairly easy fix for CX....just reset customer expectations, draw the damn curtains, and serve J food. Done. The seat IMO is very comfortable already and is basically akin to civilized economy class.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:12 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Carfield
It does not need to be Haagen-Dazs but a small tub of Movenpick ice cream or even a Dairy Farm ice cream cone will be nice! You have to remind passengers that you are flying PE! I just feel that if I am paying $4000-5000HKD oneway PE from HKG to Tokyo, I don't think I am asking too much for a bottle of Watson distilled water or an ice cream bar!
My question is why would you pay the $1-2,000 premium? On a regional flight, where I can tolerate even 17 inch A320/777s 10 abreast, I would absolutely treat PE as an more expensive but more available fare bucket of Y.

More expensive fare bucket of Y is the exact mentality I'm going for when booking a SIN-HKG one way mid-next month...but I'm using every hold ticket trick to see if Y will open up instead.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
For those who lurk on this forum, we know what we're paying for. But I have a client from the US who certainly has no clue what FT is, and recently paid for PEY expecting 3rd class out of a 4 class experience....didn't just think he was getting the seat, but really an upgraded "experience" and better service than Y....and he was disappointed. I told him he should've just thought of it as an expanded seat, nothing else and ignored all the rest of the marketing BS. He probably would've been happy. But he bought all the nonsense about it was a separated cabin (on his flight, curtains weren't drawn), yadda yadda. Oops. I still think the expanded seat is 90% of the battle anyway, but having customer expectations right is a big part of customer happiness.
On the longer haul routes (I'm thinking HKG-SYD in particular), I can see where CX is coming from - they don't want $14K fares cannibalising their $34K fares <--- ultimately these passengers are the ones CX are concerned about - they do PE too well, and HK corporates like mine will start writing in PE into travel policies for medium-level staff like me.

It doesn't help that CX has done a bait-and-switch on this route with PE - its competitors (QF and VS) do offer seperate cabin and do offer much better meals and amenities. For CX to call its product Premium Economy really fits the tort of passing off (yes I know that accusation has legal implications - and I think QF/VS have a good shot at getting CX for it).

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 26, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:27 pm

Wondering with the HKG-MNL flights where CX uses the long-haul aircraft, how many passengers (who are not connecting beyond HKG) actually pay for PE and J and how many people get upgraded, given the current service offering and the less-than-optimal value for money.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Long long post.

CanucksHKG: No, unfortunately there isn't a separate, dedicated crew. Crew are rostered into positions in EY, J and F on all flights (short haul and long-haul). The crew serving PEY is just one of the assigned EY positions. There is no specialty PEY-only position. It's just an additional responsible for the crew in addition to responsibilities in the back. They all have their duties about where they stand when you board the plane, but their assignments are known internally as Y, J and F based on which galley they're assigned to. There is no PEY position.
Ah, found it. It must have been this article that misled me:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...g-kong-flights
One flight attendant is dedicated to premium economy, with additional crew available to help out from either the business or economy teams depending on the number of passengers in each cabin.
Maybe maortega15 could help us clarify?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:09 am

One flight attendant is dedicated to premium economy, with additional crew available to help out from either the business or economy teams depending on the number of passengers in each cabin.
Not noticed, either when I'm sitting in PEY or the Y section behind it.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Ah, found it. It must have been this article that misled me:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...g-kong-flights

Maybe maortega15 could help us clarify?
Interestingly this document clarifies how CX sees PE service http://learning.cathaypacific.com/assets/pdf/all_00.pdf :

Premium Economy Class (PEY)
When comparing with Economy Class service, PEY service is more personalized. It is different from EY service, without compromising JCL service integrity.
PEY passengers will be served BEFORE YCL passengers for all F & B services.
- Evolved Teamwork concept; absolutely no PEY/YCL borderlines!
There is no mention in the document about dedicated Y staff for PEY.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc
Interestingly this document clarifies how CX sees PE service
There is no mention in the document about dedicated Y staff for PEY.
Which is, precisely what QRC3288 described. CX still view it as the same cabin internally

Including:
Welcome Drinks
Welcome drinks are to be prepared by JCL crew from the JCL Service Centre and served by YCL crew.
Y1 and Y2 should be released and commence coffee/tea/tray collection in PEY as soon as possible and not wait until all YCL passengers have been served.
The FP‟s role is very important as he/she must deploy manpower to best suit the situation. Service
items should be prepared a step ahead so that the service can be conducted in an overlapping
manner. The FP is to provide galley support and replenish items needed for the service.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carfield
4. Catering - for a flight between HKG and TPE, it is cheap to not even offer a tea and coffee service for the whole Y cabin. A pack of oolong tea is just cheap and it is such difficulty to offer maybe an option of offering mini bottled waters.
http://learning.cathaypacific.com/assets/pdf/all_00.pdf
Page 42:
Small Bottled Water - Applicable to all PEY aircraft types
To be offered by hand to all PEY passengers immediately after the first meal service.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:40 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
To be offered by hand to all PEY passengers immediately after the first meal service.
Possibly this document hasn't been updated for the introduction of Regional PEY. On the CX website, they make a disctinction that service enhancements and catering enhancements are only for long haul flights:

For Your Long-haul Comfort

On our long-haul flights, we’re able to offer you even more. For your comfort, there’s an environmentally friendly amenity kit with socks, eyeshade, earplugs, and toothbrush and toothpaste. And our food and beverage service includes a welcome drink and a hot towel, a selection of enhanced entrées, complementary bottled water and a wide variety of snacks.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:56 am

Well, to be frankly honest even regional J doesn't get water (I've been to BKK in J last month). I'm not surprised regional PEY doesn't.

I can confirm long-haul PEY (i.e. HKG-SYD in my case) gets Evian.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:18 am

I'm wondering if it will help to have a copy of the learning guide handy during the flight (strategically open at the relevant pages) lol
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
Some great points above. An issue with CX ex HKG is their pricing . I initially wanted to fly CX to Tokyo during CNY. Econ class alone was 12000 HK. I got a flight on NH for 8000 HK. As a *G can use the lounge and get an extra bag as allowance. It becomes a no brainer
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hau cheng
Some great points above. An issue with CX ex HKG is their pricing . I initially wanted to fly CX to Tokyo during CNY. Econ class alone was 12000 HK. I got a flight on NH for 8000 HK. As a *G can use the lounge and get an extra bag as allowance. It becomes a no brainer
Sorry, I don't see how this case here is relevant.
1) You're referring to EY fare.
2) At $12k HKD for a HKG-NRT economy flight, chances are you were booking very last minute for CNY.
3) Your profile list you're a SL. You would also had lounge access and extra bag allowance on CX too.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Interesting to read about the experiences in Premium Economy as I’m looking to book a flight from India to Hong Kong later in the year.

I have some Asia Miles to use up and will be my first time on CX so it’s looking like I will be better off using up a little more miles and going from Y to J instead and missing out Premium Economy although it’s only a 5 hour flight.

(CX Gold card holder through Amex)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.