Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Service In Y+

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asia miles
Bad Service In Y+

In the last 6 months i have flown Y+ 4 times between HKG and Mel, and in each one of them i notice the service is getting worst and worst. The crew is generally unfriendly, food service gets rush thru, take off and landing is a mad rush, and unless you press the button, no crew member will do a walk thru.

In contrast the last 2 Y+ trips from HKG to LAX the crew were exceptionally friendly.

Am i alone on this or has anyone notice deteriorating services?

Booked MAS for my May trip to MEL just to see if i have been married to CX for way to long !!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Maybe you should try settling back for Y between HKG-MEL?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: QF Platium(OWE)/CX Diamond(OWE)/SPG Platium/Marriott Titanium/Hyatt Globalist/Accor Platium/
Personally I found CX104 MEL-HKG usually had the worst service...
Also it could be related to the Galley location....
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Maybe you should try settling back for Y between HKG-MEL?
FWIW - it is not a bad idea.

Somehow, you see the true reality about an airlines when you sit in Y.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:54 am

This is less about Y+ and more about which crew you have. I flew Vancouver to HKG four times in J and both times I got crappy services due to Vancouver crew, I even remember the faces of those crappy services flight attendants because their services are so crappy. I am so disgusted by this that I don't bother with this route anymore.

CX, for the most part, are very good with training their inflight crew, I think you just have to report them. As bad as that sounds, that may be the only option to make sure you don't get the crappy services in the future. You can't expect management to deal with them if no one is telling them what's going on in the front lines of service.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
what exactly are your expectations, may I ask?

1) friendliness - this is highly subjective. Perhaps you expect constant smiles and uninterrupted chit-chats. But they are doing their job (and rest in between) they aren't paid to chat with you, if that's what you mean

2) food is a rush - you aren't in F doing degustation course. What's the rush? The fact they brought your food in 1 tray? This is not J.

3) take off and landing "mad rush" - I didn't get it. Do you mean you didn't get your welcome drink and hot towel? I got mine on recent SYD Y+ on both ways.

4) no clue member walk through you - if I needed a drink I walk to galley. But even so on a day flight from SYD to HK (cx162) I had drink served on tray every 45minutes, if I recall. I think that was the MOST number of drink-runs, even more than J.

So no I don't share your feeling that service deteriorated. Maybe I was just lucky.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asia miles
Bad Service In Y+

1) Frindliness - my expectations is simple. Just be friendlier then a traffic cop.

2) After they hand you the delicious trey , they would ask you what drink you like, I said no thanks so he left, leaving the person next to me drinkless.

3) Captain told them to take their seats, then they suddenly remember to check if passengers have secured theirs. The lady next to me was still reaching for her over head bag.

4) 1 drink thru the entire 9 hr flight excluding the ones that come with the meal.

I will leave the toilets to your imagination.....
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Ask for a comment card and see how things magically change.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
1 drink thru the entire 9 hr flight excluding the ones that come with the meal.
Ive had the same thing ex-SYD.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
sounds like it's more to do with the placement of Y+ on the A330, the crew do a combined service beginning with Y+ and rush through that then are centralised at the galley so are as far away from Y+ as possible, minimising walk-throughs.

I experienced this on SYD-HKG but found they answered the call bell very quickly and were prompt to bring me drinks whenever I wanted. it was actually nice not having people tramping through the cabin all the time but understand it does get a bit lonely - ideally they should serve Y+ from rear J cabin I think.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
This is less about Y+ and more about which crew you have. I flew Vancouver to HKG four times in J and both times I got crappy services due to Vancouver crew, I even remember the faces of those crappy services flight attendants because their services are so crappy. I am so disgusted by this that I don't bother with this route anymore.

CX, for the most part, are very good with training their inflight crew, I think you just have to report them. As bad as that sounds, that may be the only option to make sure you don't get the crappy services in the future. You can't expect management to deal with them if no one is telling them what's going on in the front lines of service.
The YVR based crew is a joke. They are more conversationally-savvy, but are almost too chatty and are realistically robots and follow the rules down to the teeline (not saying that they are not supposed to follow the rules). At least the Hong Kong-based crew MAY be to able to think outside the box for the passengers every now and then.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zhaobao
At least the Hong Kong-based crew MAY be to able to think outside the box for the passengers every now and then.
In what kind of example scenarios?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:51 am

Programs: Thai
The Service on my Y+ LAX to HKG and back was great last month. No complaints.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Originally Posted by zhaobao
The YVR based crew is a joke. They are more conversationally-savvy, but are almost too chatty and are realistically robots and follow the rules down to the teeline (not saying that they are not supposed to follow the rules). At least the Hong Kong-based crew MAY be to able to think outside the box for the passengers every now and then.
It's not only the problem of the crew, it's the ISM
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Re OP - I noticed as much for HKG-SYD too

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...seat-2.html#24

Originally Posted by percysmith
...very few drinks runs during the flight (just meals, thereabouts), they started the breakfast run 2.5 hours out from Sydney (excessive in my view) but were still so rushed they failed to offer coffee (it was on the trolley, but I had to ask).

Dilution of Y service so PEY can be beefed up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.