FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Club Miles Milestone (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1257454-club-miles-milestone.html)

CuiDawei Jul 7, 2014 12:56 am

For Birthday upgrades it has to be your birthday not three days after. For anniversary - not sure if 19 is recognized, but in any case, I think it is better to fly a few days after your anniversary so the system has time to recognize it and someone can make a note for when you check-in.

Jane's Addiction Jul 7, 2014 2:26 am

I believe bday upgrade is on the day only.
I've had it twice on the actual day. Have not had luck in the days just before or after my bday

QRC3288 Jul 7, 2014 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Lafite82 (Post 23154491)
I booked Y+ HKG/YVR r/t (E class), the outbound flt was 3 days after my birthday and I had BN1. The return (BN4) was on the exact date of my MPC anniversary (19 years). In both cases, I was not upgraded to J even though there were seats available

Without question, the "birthday upgrade" has to be on your birthday. I have flown the week of my birthday every week since joining CX. I recall one time flying something like 5 or 6 sectors on CX/KA metal the week of my birthday. The only two times I've actually been upgraded were on the precise day of my birthday, and that seems to be the situation with other posters on here as well. I'm also sure there are other considerations, but flying on the birthday itself seems to be the baseline.

The 5 year anniversary, however, was a week or two after my actual anniversary. I was in the US on a business trip when I crossed the threshold (and was oblivious to it, frankly), and on my flight back I got the upgrade. Informed by a very friendly check-in staff.

jagmeets Jul 7, 2014 3:49 am

Originally Posted by nsolitude (Post 23149574)
Wow, IanFromHKG--I am so sorry for you!

+1

reading your earlier posts - cant help but feel for you.

Guess I'd have been even more paranoid about 'what does CX have on file about me' given the long streak that you've had!

jackrussellterrier Jul 7, 2014 7:30 am

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG (Post 23148607)
I am Diamond. And I haven't had a long-haul op-up for 7 or 8 years, so why I thought that flight might be different, heaven only knows.

Oh, and I have been a Diamond for all but one of the last fifteen years or so

EDITED TO ADD: I did ask on board as I noticed the F seat which I was told was empty at check-in was occupied. Apparently, dead-heading crew (!)

This is very strange and sad. I've been diamond only four years but been upgraded very regularly from J to F regionally and from J to F to YYZ (when they had it) and LHR. In fact the wife was also upgraded from J to F with me to LHR.

Have you ever taken this up with them…with the usual caveats about it not being expected blah blah blah?

IanFromHKG Jul 8, 2014 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 23154974)
Guess I'd have been even more paranoid about 'what does CX have on file about me' given the long streak that you've had!

Funny you should say that. A couple of years ago I made a data access request and asked that very question ("is there anything in your system indicating that I am unsuitable for upgrades"), pointing out that under HK law opinions about a person constitute personal information and were therefore discloseable. That was at a point where I had had no upgrades at all for about five years. They responded and said there was nothing. About six months later I started getting occasional short-haul upgrades. No long-hauls though

Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier (Post 23155568)
Have you ever taken this up with them…with the usual caveats about it not being expected blah blah blah?

I did precisely that, emphasising I did not expect anything to which I wasn't entitled, but expressing my disappointment. Here is their response:

Dear Mr _________

Thank you for contacting The Marco Polo Service Centre

It is always a special moment when members reach over two million miles in a span of two decades. Knowing that there are many airlines in the market that you can choose to travel with these days, we most certainly value your continuing support in flying Cathay Pacific and Dragonair since 1993.

We fully understand your sentiments and very much appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please be assured that your support is most valued and we have forwarded your message to senior management for further review. We will get back to you again as quickly as we can.

Kind regards

Rivarix Jul 8, 2014 8:02 pm

I wonder if people ever consider the possibility that on average being a GO may give you a higher chance of getting op-up vs. DM?

It may seems counter-intuitive at first but there's a certain logic behind that approach. Companies are known to put extra effort to get new clients vs. the effort they put it to retain current clients. In this context, GO is the new client that CX is trying to entice to get them to fly more with CX. DM is the current client that already flies a lot with CX and is more sticky/somewhat less likely to switch. So while CX treats its DM members very well, it gives an extra 'oomph' to woo GO members. It cannot do so w/ published benefits but can certainly do so in the op-up game to try to make GO (or other non-DM) members more 'sticky'. Lets not forget that op-up is just one of the benefits so overall (i.e. published + unpublished benefits), DM will still come out ahead of GO (at least in CX's mind).

Obviously this is not true for each and every DM members but from reading various postings in this forum, i wonder if this is a factor in the op-up algorithm deployed by CX?

IanFromHKG Jul 8, 2014 10:50 pm

Finally, a result. I sent a blistering email this morning while waiting for a shower at the arrival lounge, and a couple of hours later got an offer of a one-way, one-class upgrade. Subject to availability. Which is better than a smack in the face with a wet haddock, of course, but it still seems a bit grudging.

They offered to apply that upgrade (subject to availability) on my next long-haul flight, but I am going to ask them to defer that to the following flight. Partly because I would prefer to have the extra comfort when coming home, but also because the first flight is on my fiftieth birthday and I am curious to see whether they do the decent thing on that flight anyway!

jagmeets Jul 8, 2014 11:18 pm

Good luck IanFromHKG. We're rooting for you - do keep us posted on how things go on the next flight, and upgrade or no-upgrde, have a fabulous fiftieth!!

jackrussellterrier Jul 9, 2014 6:43 am

[QUOTE=Rivarix;23166095]I wonder if people ever consider the possibility that on average being a GO may give you a higher chance of getting op-up vs. DM?

In my experience not a chance. I admit I was only a gold a short time on the road to diamond but I never felt anything better than silver.

jackrussellterrier Jul 9, 2014 6:47 am

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG (Post 23166740)
Finally, a result. I sent a blistering email this morning while waiting for a shower at the arrival lounge, and a couple of hours later got an offer of a one-way, one-class upgrade. Subject to availability. Which is better than a smack in the face with a wet haddock, of course, but it still seems a bit grudging.

They offered to apply that upgrade (subject to availability) on my next long-haul flight, but I am going to ask them to defer that to the following flight. Partly because I would prefer to have the extra comfort when coming home, but also because the first flight is on my fiftieth birthday and I am curious to see whether they do the decent thing on that flight anyway!

They should damm well give you two upgrades to F. Of course because of the genuine revenue you spend and also simply because you'll post about it on here and CX will get great positive PR plus all of us close to fifty will keep flying in the hope to get the same as you! Its a win win :)

IanFromHKG Jul 10, 2014 6:40 am

Anyone out there prepared to hold an F booking on CX255 on 19 September, and be a no-show, just so there's a free seat for me?? LOL

CX HK Jul 10, 2014 10:25 am

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG (Post 23173963)
Anyone out there prepared to hold an F booking on CX255 on 19 September, and be a no-show, just so there's a free seat for me?? LOL

This could be the start of something new...!

LapuLapu Aug 29, 2014 5:08 pm

Just flew CX883 LAX-HKG and got upgraded from Econ straight to J due to me passing the 750K milestone. Loyalty does have its perks. Thanks CX!

On Aug 11, I got upgraded from HKG-LAX Econ to Prem. Econ. I'm not sure if that's because Aug 12 was my anniversary date. ^^^

QRC3288 Sep 3, 2014 11:59 pm

has anyone gotten a 1.25mm milestone?

close to crossing, don't think i've seen that reported. curious if anyone has gotten it before? I posted a similar question up in post #89.