FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Club Miles Milestone (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1257454-club-miles-milestone.html)

CX HK Sep 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by geraldchan05 (Post 21314224)
Got 500K upgrade during my HKG-TPE flight couple years back--refused the upgrade and refused again on the TPE-HKG leg as well. On my next leg HKG-BKK was advised to take the UG or else they may not give me the 500K upgrade (coz I was hoping they would UG me on the HKG-LHR leg coming up later intsead...)

Got a 750K upgrade last month on the TPE-HKG leg, luckily on a 33G..

Both times I asked explicitly for the UG reason and was told about the 500K/750K milestone

So technically you could "refuse" it and save it for a long haul leg?

Mrtnw Sep 28, 2013 1:51 am

Originally Posted by CX HK (Post 21517528)

You can always refuse but take into account it might cost you an upgrade
- milestone upgrade is not guaranteed
- on the next flight there might be no availability to upgrade

correctioncx Sep 30, 2013 1:02 am

Originally Posted by CX HK (Post 21517528)

If you refuse it, they will not automatically carry forward next time. However IF on that flight there is no availability to upgrade they WILL carry forward to the next flight - so have to time it carefully and don't waste it on a HKG_TPE (like I did before).

brithk Oct 4, 2013 8:39 am

one more datapoint.
Yesterday i got an u/g from Premium Eco to Business from SFO to HKG. The reason given was 10 year anniversary of MPC membership. Very very grateful!!
BP had 'V' rather than the op up "I".
its these small things that help keep me loyal to cathay.

QRC3288 Oct 4, 2013 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by brithk (Post 21552785)
one more datapoint.
Yesterday i got an u/g from Premium Eco to Business from SFO to HKG. The reason given was 10 year anniversary of MPC membership. Very very grateful!!
BP had 'V' rather than the op up "I".
its these small things that help keep me loyal to cathay.

congrats.

"V" indeed is what pops up for milestone upgrades.

I also figured out that the letter "M" is for "manual". I have received both upgrades - and downgrades - that way. I recently was op-upped to J on a HKG-TPE flight, but changed flights to travel with a friend. That flight wasn't oversold, and I was "downgraded" to Y class (aka, put into the class I booked). My BP had a "M" on it.

I've also received upgrades with the "M" letter on my BP. I suspect this is when someone at the check-in desk is manually helping me out, while the system probably didn't warrant an upgrade or the higher class.

correctioncx Oct 5, 2013 1:39 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 21556867)
congrats.

I also figured out that the letter "M" is for "manual". I have received both upgrades - and downgrades - that way. I recently was op-upped to J on a HKG-TPE flight, but changed flights to travel with a friend. That flight wasn't oversold, and I was "downgraded" to Y class (aka, put into the class I booked). My BP had a "M" on it.

I've also received upgrades with the "M" letter on my BP. I suspect this is when someone at the check-in desk is manually helping me out, while the system probably didn't warrant an upgrade or the higher class.

I is involuntary eg.opup
V is voluntary
M is manual override

sxc Oct 5, 2013 4:06 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 21556867)
congrats.

If the flight wasn't oversold I wonder why you were op-up'd in the first place.

correctioncx Oct 5, 2013 4:23 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 21557329)
If the flight wasn't oversold I wonder why you were op-up'd in the first place.

The flight he was on originally was prob full that's why opup and then the other flight is not so op down

QRC3288 Oct 5, 2013 4:36 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx (Post 21557367)
The flight he was on originally was prob full that's why opup and then the other flight is not so op down

yup, that's exactly what happened.

I have also - rarely - received "M" on my BP when I've been upgraded, although unfortunately I cannot recall the reason.

correctioncx Oct 5, 2013 7:40 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 21557402)
yup, that's exactly what happened.

I have also - rarely - received "M" on my BP when I've been upgraded, although unfortunately I cannot recall the reason.

The agent shouldn't use M unless in exceptional cases. They will subject to be audited.

CanucksHKG Dec 12, 2013 3:23 am

Is 500K usually the first "major milestone" in CX's eyes?

MyckoL Dec 12, 2013 4:04 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG (Post 21952070)

I guess it depends if you reach that first or Year milestones first. I have been in MPC for 13 years now, never used to fly much, so I got all the annual milestone upgrades first before I got my 500k on my 13th year.

Got op-ups for 5 year, 8 year, 10 year, 12 years (the 12 year one was weird as I was opted up for a total of 6 sectors over course of 4 months, all together with my non-status companion as well)

QRC3288 Dec 12, 2013 4:57 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG (Post 21952070)

yes, I'm almost certain 500k is the first milestone. I flew close to 250k my first year with CX and didn't receive anything then. only when I crossed 500k did i get the first one

jona970318 Dec 12, 2013 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy (Post 17124032)
I am very curious to what the screen says now, although I've always suspected there are comments about the passengers on the screen and not just general info like flight number, etc. Ever since at ORD the agent told me that there's a special comment next to my name "upgrade Taipei to Hong Kong" I am curious to know now.... :D

Too bad I don't plan to fly HKG-TPE route in a few months, wonder how long will that special comment stay valid...

When I was checking in at MEL once, the agent made a comment to her colleges: "look at all the records for changes" I suspect this might be related to the many changes I had to make on that ticket before flight

chentaiman Dec 15, 2013 4:37 am

The flight to YVR I took yesterday brought me over the 1 mm mark, but I did not receive anything.