Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Destinations for CX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by CX828
Stockholm or Copenhagen or Helsinki - Probably not enough demand to serve more than 1 Scandinavian city. ARN would be the best bet as it is a big city. HEL would be nice as it is Oneworld hub and good for connections, but AY has that covered with 12x weekly to HKG.
AFAIK AY has proposed to codeshare on HKG - HEL flights and onwards to ARN, CPH and OSL for several years now but these offers have been turned down by Cathay.

Competition issue probably and CX seems more willing to continue routing to Scandinavian destinations via their own LHR flights.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by willzzz88
The other is Madrid & South America connections.
But that is already possible via AKL & JFK.

CPT will become available soon with the 2x weekly non-stop KUL-CPT flight on MH /w the 744 (which continues onto EZE with the South Atlantic crossing).
Almost all destinations are possible via one other city. But if I can fly CX metal that has added value for me and I`m willing to pay a premium, fly longer and take somewhat longer transfers.
For South America, connections via US are covered via AA. Via Europe the same could be done by opening MAD and connect to IB.

Same for CPT, I rather have CX go direct or via JNB than transiting in KUL to MH. CPT is not on the top of my wish list.

Some people mentioned HKG-MIA, that would push the 77A to the limit.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles
THAT and the rumours of JL/AA starting (long time) NRT-MIA.

DL gets A-LOT of South America transit traffic from Asia via NRT & ATL.

Similar with oneWorld one-Stop via JFK and two-Stops (but VASTLY FASTER in terms of hours and on the ground/possible hotel/airport because SOME PEOPLE HATE ENGINE NOISE!) via AKL.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by chongcao
Currently CX does not fly to any destination with city population less than 500K. Guess why?
Apart from Cairns, they don't. However a city's population is not always the best measure of viability in opening a route. Other factors such as ethnic links, wealth, inbound/OUTBOUND tourist traffic, local industries, airport infrastructure and how much of a global city it is are evaluated.

Similarly, Egypt may be a developing country but I'm sure that isn't the only consideration. Tourism - albeit sometimes prone to domestic instability - is one of its key earners. I don't know if MH still flies to CAI, and if they do there's probably not much point haveing two oneworld cariers there. If a country's affluence was the only determiner, then there'd be no case for pushing NBO which is far lower down the GDP per annum list.

Originally Posted by willzzz88
ZRH & ONE of the following in ORDER OF LIKELINESS in Europe:
ARN, MAD, BRU, MAN.
CX are quite underrepresented in Europe compared to their competitiors. I'd love to see ZRH on the network again. By far the smoothest and least chaotic hub in Europe but as one poster mentioned they've probably left it a bit too late. Even more so now that LX have a vastly improved J class product. ARN made a brief show via FRA from 95 to 98, and I think it's more of a trend to use CPH for Scandinavian feeders. BRU has never attracted Asian or Gulf carriers for very long: SQ, TG and MH terminated it 10+ years ago. MAN most definitely, although tagged onto another European sector. Same goes for MAD... via FCO.

Last edited by fratboy; Jun 14, 2011 at 6:07 am
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:51 am

Cairns is 150,920.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by jimyvr
MIA is still the candidate for potential new route studies along with 2 other non-oneWorld hub cities in North America
North America? So... Calgary?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
MIA is still the candidate for potential new route studies along with 2 other non-oneWorld hub cities in North America
Assuming that your information's good, I would have guessed DFW before MIA, Texas having much more tech industry than south Florida, no? Both currently have easy and frequent connections to CX gateways at JFK, ORD and LAX.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I really just want HKG-HNL. I want to stop in HNL on my way home.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Cairns is 150,920.
Flight have to connect to BNE...thus Cairns is not really a destination in it's own right. Without traffic right to BNE, CX will never go to Cairns on it's own.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Skypass
how about PHL? PHL doesn't have an Asian airline and there is a decent asian population there and in the suburbs. Then again, JFK and EWR is like 1.5-2 hours away by car/bus.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:06 pm

If I can't get my one-stop to GRU, how about HKG-BUD-MAD?
Linking in BUD to Malev's Mid- and Eastern Europe network and in MAD to Iberia's Latin America network?

Two OW hubs not yet connected to HKG.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Assuming that your information's good, I would have guessed DFW before MIA, Texas having much more tech industry than south Florida, no? Both currently have easy and frequent connections to CX gateways at JFK, ORD and LAX.
I have the list of destinations where CX is looking at for their request for proposals earlier this year (Before they decided to remove the specific destinations). They have 3 North American cities specifically mentioned, plus "etc". However, keep in mind these destinations CX is looking at may never happen given CX is quite conservative and would rather putting all eggs in one basket.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:31 pm

I have the list of destinations where CX is looking at for their request for proposals earlier this year (Before they decided to remove the specific destinations). They have 3 North American cities specifically mentioned, plus "etc". However, keep in mind these destinations CX is looking at may never happen given CX is quite conservative and would rather putting all eggs in one basket.
What are the three?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles
What about Europe!?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by chongcao
Flight have to connect to BNE...thus Cairns is not really a destination in it's own right. Without traffic right to BNE, CX will never go to Cairns on it's own.
in fact Cairns is a daily service with 3 nonstops going out, and 4 nonstops coming back. whether it's one stop or two, it's still a CX destination just like Colombo (via BKK or SIN), Karachi (via BKK) or Jeddah (via BAH or DXB) are.

Last edited by fratboy; Jun 15, 2011 at 1:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.