Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Stuck several hours at St. Maarten / Martin / SXM airport - what's to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck several hours at St. Maarten / Martin / SXM airport - what's to do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Flyingblue Explorer
Well I have a long haul flight afterwards, a huge bag to carry around.. it's not that easy. I can't go swimming as I'll be covered in salt and won't have a comfortable flight after, can't leave my bag on the beach.. best to stay at the airport..
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you should be able to find a guide at the airport that will do a tour for a few hours & take the bag[s] along.....is this on the outbound?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:33 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow the thread to its new home: Travel->Caribbean forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
It is a boring airport. I would not like to stay there for seven hours. With so much time to spare, you could probably get a day pass to a hotel on the beach (like cruise ship passengers), or take a cab to Marigot on the French side for lunch. Have alook at this recent thread.
--
13F
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: AA LTP; SPG Gold
Considering that you are willing to sit at the airport and maybe aren't interested in sightseeing, here's a simple suggestion. Assuming you are stuck with your luggage, I'd take a taxi to one of the nearby beaches that has lounge chairs, food and beverage. One that comes to mind, but I have not been to, is Karacters (I think they have a website). It's on the water and about a 10 minute ride from the terminal (actually very close to the end of the runway). It looked nice, a bit off the beaten path and my guess is that you could safely put your luggage at the bar. Either arrange for a return taxi or I'm sure they could get you one.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:20 am

Got married in SXM. I go to the Sunset Beach Bar, which is about a half mile from the airport. Got Drink specials and you can see one of the coolest beaches in the world. Just bring your bags or do an early check in at your connecting flight. Its a cheap cab ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNONncieu0

The planes seem to land on top of you.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There is a great bar at the south just outside the end of the airport, right next to the beach where the jets come in at about 100 feet altitude. The beer there is VERY cold.

A 2 minute cab ride, or a 10 minute walk.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...n.html#REVIEWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NHf5QInt0

Enjoy.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Merged threads on SXM for several hours. Because Queen Juliana International Airport in Sint Maarten also serves the French side of the island, St. Martin, for longhaul flights the title includes both.

JDiver, Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.