Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Stuck several hours at St. Maarten / Martin / SXM airport - what's to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:30 am
Original Poster

So this Sunday, I have an 8 hour layover at Princess Juliana International Airport, Sint Maarten, Netherlands Antilles.

Does anybody have any suggestions on some fun things to do if I'm willing to leave the airport? Good wireless internet equipped coffeeshops / beaches / restaurants?

Thanks!
Ben

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm Reason: merge and post title restoration
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by pacificfit
So this Sunday, I have an 8 hour layover at Princess Juliana International Airport, Sint Maarten, Netherlands Antilles.

Does anybody have any suggestions on some fun things to do if I'm willing to leave the airport? Good wireless internet equipped coffeeshops / beaches / restaurants?

Thanks!
Ben
YEah, walk to the end of the runway (along the road lol) and sit at the beach bar and watch planes land over your head.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Taxi to Maho Beach.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: CO
Definitely the Sunset Beach Bar. There's even a live webcam streaming somewhere on the net
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:23 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
pacificfit, welcome to FlyerTalk! Please follow as the thread moves to the Travel->Caribbean forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:18 am
Original Poster

What's the name of the bar where the airplanes fly over your head?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
<redacted URL>
--
13F

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 27, 2015 at 9:53 pm Reason: Not correct site
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:40 pm

With 8 hours, you should rent a car ($50) and drive around the island. You could actually drive around three or four times in 8 hours. But you might want to stop at Orient Beach for a swim and a gawk, or Grand Case for lunch, or Philipsburg for Duty Free, or...
--
13F
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

According to their website, Sunset Beach Bar shut down...any other good places near the airport?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:15 am

According to their website, Sunset Beach Bar shut down...any other good places near the airport?
Might be a case of domain name subterfuge, which I fell for. I also found this one:
http://sunsetsxm.com/
--
13F
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Sunset Beach Bar is a lot of fun.

If you rent a car, just be careful with your time. Traffic can be bad, and you don't want to be caught on the wrong side when they open the bridges to let the boats out of Simpson Bay.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:15 am

IT did get hit last year by a hurricane, but I thought it was rebuilt by now?
Old May 31, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Might be a case of domain name subterfuge, which I fell for. I also found this one:
http://sunsetsxm.com/
--
13F
I too fell for it ... good to know the real place is still very much running..!!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Flyingblue Explorer
Exclamation Saint Martin (SXM) 7 hour airport lay over..?

Hi

I arrive in Saint Martin (SXM) at 9am and leave at 4pm. So I have a pretty long wait. The problem is that my luggage can't be checked through to my final destination (different airline, different ticket).

How can I get rid of my bag until check in opens at 2pm? I really don't want to carry it around with me, stuck in a tiny airport with nothing to do. I want to get rid of the bag and go airside for the lounge.

Can I ask them to check me in early? Is there a luggage drop?

Zach
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
I think if I had 7 hours in St Martin, I don't think o would be asking how to hang out at the airport ... I think it would be "which beach has the best umbrella drink"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.