Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Can I pay Federal taxes to hit $30K min for 150K sign-up bonus for Venture X Biz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I pay Federal taxes to hit $30K min for 150K sign-up bonus for Venture X Biz?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Let's say it's $30K, I assume that will be another 2x miles so 60K points plus the 150K sign-up bonus? Any rules against using this for tax payment (yes, while incurring the credit card fee on the tax payment side)

Thank you!
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:35 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I've done this with AMEX and Barclays every year for the last 15 years.....zero issues.

(Hint, you can overpay and get a refund pretty quickly, too )
Old Sep 29, 2023, 7:51 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
If you owe a lot of estimated taxes then you can do it quarterly, for most people, at least once a year
Originally Posted by 355F1
I've done this with AMEX and Barclays every year for the last 15 years.....zero issues.
(Hint, you can overpay and get a refund pretty quickly, too )
The best times to get a card (or cards) for the SUB is just before you are ready to pay the tax.
e.g., if you pay in April, get the cards in early March, hit spend with tax in April and get refund by June
If you time it after the statement closes in April, you get ~60 days interest free and then about 30 days of coverage using a home equity line or savings
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:30 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by ffI
The best times to get a card (or cards) for the SUB is just before you are ready to pay the tax.
Haha....I have gotten a lot of new CCs in March and April over the years!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
There are data points for folks getting denied Amex Subs if the transaction that crosses the spend threshold is a tax payment. For me, that was always the fee, so it worked.
Paying income tax doesn't qualify for welcome bonus?
Chase has a web page saying specifically it works for meeting spend thresholds.

I'd do more research for Cap 1 before I did it.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Well, did it work?

Would love some data points, especially if the transaction that went to $30k (or $20k on a 150kmiles for $20k spend like it is now).
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:35 pm

Can you pay personal tax with a Venture X business card?

Can you pay a personal tax payment with the business card or sign up bonus minimum spend? Or will PayUSA tax reject this?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:07 pm

You could probably do it via Paypal if needed. No extra fee if I recall.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:20 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Can you pay a personal tax payment with the business card or sign up bonus minimum spend? Or will PayUSA tax reject this?
PayUSA tax at times has denied it for Visa, but I got away with Amex!
Pay1040 had no issues
ACI has been variable at times with business card
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
PayUSA tax at times has denied it for Visa, but I got away with Amex!
Pay1040 had no issues
ACI has been variable at times with business card
It's a no-go. Only 10k limit per transaction on the card. No way to pay 100k in taxes 10k at a time. I never thought of this, ohh well.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... 10k limit per transaction on the card.....
Is this a Capital One limit?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Is this a Capital One limit?
Yes. Personal venture x can spend 40k+, but when I do "check spending limit" on the business charge card, it says 10k will be approved, and 15k will not be approved. The check spending power link is on the main business account landing page under my accounts.

With the 2 payment limit for the tax processors, this will end up being a waste of time. Might just burn the tax bill on medallion status instead, don't know. This is very unfortunate. I called them to raise the limit and they weren't very helpful.
mia likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:04 pm
ffI

Capital One looks at history of spend and payments
A
If you do 10k at a time and pay it off at once, and do it a couple of times
- then check for 15k a day or two later, it often allows that charge next
you can work it up to 20
B
Another option is to send 5k to it from your bank account to the card first - Effective limit goes to 15k = x6 is 90k done
(it is not as good as Amex which often allowed me to spend 120k on a Delta Reserve last year with a 5k line by paying ahead)
or send 10k spend 20k - pay off 10k (in fact I think cap1 allows payments above balance - so you can pay off 20k - do it daily x 5 days
C
what is the hurry - you can do 6x10k now and 4x 10k in July - within 6 months = bonus done

Yes. Personal venture x can spend 40k+, but when I do "check spending limit" on the business charge card, it says 10k will be approved, and 15k will not be approved. The check spending power link is on the main business account landing page under my accounts.
With the 2 payment limit for the tax processors, this will end up being a waste of time. Might just burn the tax bill on medallion status instead, don't know. This is very unfortunate. I called them to raise the limit and they weren't very helpful.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by ffI
Capital One looks at history of spend and payments
A
If you do 10k at a time and pay it off at once, and do it a couple of times
- then check for 15k a day or two later, it often allows that charge next
you can work it up to 20
B
Another option is to send 5k to it from your bank account to the card first - Effective limit goes to 15k = x6 is 90k done
(it is not as good as Amex which often allowed me to spend 120k on a Delta Reserve last year with a 5k line by paying ahead)
or send 10k spend 20k - pay off 10k (in fact I think cap1 allows payments above balance - so you can pay off 20k - do it daily x 5 days
C
what is the hurry - you can do 6x10k now and 4x 10k in July - within 6 months = bonus done
The IRS limits credit card tax payments to 2, so it won't work.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:46 am

The IRS limits credit card tax payments to 2, so it won't work.
I think you could do Estimated Tax twice per quarter, so 2 estimated tax before March 31, two Estimated tax after April 1 but before you file, and two more with your filing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.