Paying income tax doesn't qualify for welcome bonus?

Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Yes Amex seem to have an issue that charges are considered “invalid” for the SUB even as they earned points and were valid before (used Kiva and one out of many charges tripped up my SUB - took a while to get that straightened out).
This is just getting hilarious with AmEx.

I didnt even pay taxes or purchase any gift cards. Only charge I can think of that they might for whatever reason think is invalid is tuition payment. But then I have gone ahead and made additional charges that are more than the tuition but still no SUB
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:30 pm

Paid real estate taxes with my business gold. Confirmed with AmEx via chat I had satisfied the SUB 30 days before the deadline. Waited 16 weeks. Contacted AmEx via chat again and they opened up an investigation. They determined that taxes aren't goods and services and my SUB was not validly earned. Asked to talk to supervisor/manager and plead my case since AmEx told me my SUB was validly earned when I still had time to put the necessary spend on something else if I didn't earn it. Went through 4-5 managers until I finally found one who said he would put it in for a further review. Got a call from another manager who admitted AmEx screwed up but couldn't give me the bonus since it wasn't validly earned. I complained about the unfairness of it, asked what else I could have done, asked if I couldn't trust what AmEx reps tell me - all to no avail. Only more profuse apologies and a $200 courtesy credit but not my 90k points. So beware.
hurnik likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:34 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I have paid federal and state income taxes on AMEX cards for SUBs multiple times and have never had an issue with it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by kciflyer
So beware.
CFPB complaint?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
CFPB complaint?

I thought about it, but I’m not sure I want eyes on my account or bring on the wrath of AmEx. Already signed up for another Bus Gold and the MR points just keep coming, so I may chalk it up to a bump in the road most of us experience if we’ve been in the game long enough.
notquiteaff and blitzen like this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
I have paid federal and state income taxes on AMEX cards for SUBs multiple times and have never had an issue with it.
I have too. In fact I made a tax payment to meet a bus plat bonus 2 weeks after I made the real estate tax payment on the bus gold. Got the bus plat SUB, but not the bus gold SUB. The point is that AmEx and other banks change their rules and interpretations from time to time and this may be the beginning of a more uniform enforcement of the taxes don’t count interpretation. On the other hand, it may be indicative of a few random rogue interpretations and most of the time you’ll be fine making tax payments. It’s a cautionary tale FWIW.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by vm81
This is just getting hilarious with AmEx.

I didnt even pay taxes or purchase any gift cards. Only charge I can think of that they might for whatever reason think is invalid is tuition payment. But then I have gone ahead and made additional charges that are more than the tuition but still no SUB
I've done many SUB of tuition payments. Taxes and Tuition are huge parts of my spend.

If they take that away I might as well stop signing up for Amex cards
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Paid real estate taxes with my business gold. Confirmed with AmEx via chat I had satisfied the SUB 30 days before the deadline. Waited 16 weeks. Contacted AmEx via chat again and they opened up an investigation. They determined that taxes aren't goods and services and my SUB was not validly earned. Asked to talk to supervisor/manager and plead my case since AmEx told me my SUB was validly earned when I still had time to put the necessary spend on something else if I didn't earn it. Went through 4-5 managers until I finally found one who said he would put it in for a further review. Got a call from another manager who admitted AmEx screwed up but couldn't give me the bonus since it wasn't validly earned. I complained about the unfairness of it, asked what else I could have done, asked if I couldn't trust what AmEx reps tell me - all to no avail. Only more profuse apologies and a $200 courtesy credit but not my 90k points. So beware.
That sounds like my odyssey, difference being that they in the end processed by SUB
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I have too. In fact I made a tax payment to meet a bus plat bonus 2 weeks after I made the real estate tax payment on the bus gold. Got the bus plat SUB, but not the bus gold SUB. The point is that AmEx and other banks change their rules and interpretations from time to time and this may be the beginning of a more uniform enforcement of the taxes don’t count interpretation. On the other hand, it may be indicative of a few random rogue interpretations and most of the time you’ll be fine making tax payments. It’s a cautionary tale FWIW.
I think it is a random bug in their software. Many payments with Kiva on my end (they want me to open a new business card all the time - who am I to say no). One didn’t “count” while many others before and afterwards counted.
Isn’t tuition a “service” ….
If they gave you MR for that charge it should count according to the rules (as cash equivalents etc do not earn MR according to Amex T&C).

Oh well I was lucky they gave me the SUB - but on the other hand one they approved one they send me an email to get another ….. it would have been a 150K MR miss, but over the year all would have still been fine
Old Sep 8, 2022, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by blitzen
I think it is a random bug in their software.
I think it is a bug in the software, and a convenient excuse for customer “service” to not do any work to figure out what is going on.
SPN Lifer and 36902BRF like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:20 am

Points posted today out of the blue. I think tuition payment counted so thats that
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just had a signup bonus post for another biz plat. $10k of the $15k min spend were federal tax payments and the bonus posted within a day of me meeting the spend requirement. So just hope that your particular card and bonus doesn't fall into a black hole, and everything should be fine
SPN Lifer and 355F1 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:24 am

RE: Tax Payments

LOL...many many years ago, I had someone who probably had a fetish for reading fine prints suggest to me that I should call Amex to make sure it's ok to earn a signup bonus with tax payments. I recall uttering something that would surely be unacceptable today on how utterly stupid I found that piece of advice.

For me and to this point in my life, any and all Fed/State tax payments have always been eligible for points earned and signup bonuses. Matter of fact, once upon a time, Amex was even accepted for 1120 series of Corp quarterly tax payments and one could even call to negotiate a volume discount on the transaction fee. Not sure why they got rid of this but probably a casualty of the treasury coin abuse fiasco.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:32 pm

I believe it is not fair that they refuse to offer the bonus for such a reason. However, do keep an eye as they may surprise you by coming into your account some day according to others' experience.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

So, to close this thread, after waiting 3 months, as I suspected, I never received the 150k Sub for paying my income tax with the platinum card, opened up a ticket to escalate, but after 3 weeks and multiple follow up chats online still no answer either way, so closed the card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.