Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customer Survey

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2000, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Customer Survey

As I was checking out these forums tonight, my phone rang. Call display said "Angus Reid", so I took the call wondering what the survey would be about. The young woman said they were calling passengers who had recently flown on Canadian Airlines, and would I participate in their 10-minute survey. Would I?

Anyhow, it consisted of the standard range of quality of service Qs at various levels of the travel process: reservations, check-in, inflight service, food and entertainment, baggage delivery... As most all of these things were of the highest quality, I gave most either an "Excellent" or "Very Good" rating, though dropped to "Good" and even a couple of "Poors" when it came to food and magazine selection, both of which I noted had substantially declined since the spring and the AC-introduced changes.

An open ended closing question allowed me to specifically comment on the loss of the French service for meals, and what I believe to be a very limited range of magazines in recent months. (I must say, on times I've flown AC's shuttles back in central Canada, I was very impressed by the range of titles offered at the entry point of the boarding passage ways, including of all things "Foreign Affairs" and "Mother Jones"! If only these were available inflight...)

I suspect this survey had something to do with the new YEG-YUL service taken over by CP from AC since April. They also asked if I would be prepared to sit on any focus groups. If I get called back, I'll let you know.
Old Jun 9, 2000, 8:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
I received the same survey call about a
month ago. I, too responded with mostly
"very goods" and "excellents", having just
come back in J class YVR-YYC, and with my
whole family YYC-YVR-HNL-YVR-YYC about 2
weeks before, all on CP. This was just before all the "big changes in service started!
My closing comments were something like-
don't cut back on the amenities too much,
Mr. Milton, or you'll start losing customers
to Westjet, (and now ROOTS AIR!).
Bob.
Old Jun 10, 2000, 1:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
That's why I am so chuffed about RootsAir coming online--I'm hoping that will help keep AC honest.
Old Jun 10, 2000, 1:34 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

AC*SE... I thought you are a big AC fan and never had a single complaint against them...
Old Jun 10, 2000, 10:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Yes, I am a big AC fan. However, I am also a realist. I know that monopolies create a disincentive to maintain service levels.

The faster that Roots goes up against AC, the better. That will provide both AC the incentive to remain a truly world class carrier.
Old Jun 11, 2000, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I thnk AC's problems may be cultural as well. I am one of those who actually thought their service was better in the old days when they were a Crown corporation. The management team of Jeanniot and Taylor added some real class and style, and offered lounges and a F-Class service second to none (in the days before international sleeper seats/bed). These were also the days when one proudly worked for the "people of Canada" in the public service and Crowns. There has been a great deal of dissing on public servants which demoralizes and devalues the notion of public service.

I also worked three summers at AC res in Toronto, and as their campus rep at Carleton in those days (late 60s). Maybe it was a certain naivite of the times, but by the time the late 80s and 90s rolled around, I sensed a different attitude and culture pervading AC, and for various reasons as a result of that, I began to take more of my business to CP Air and its successor, Cdn.

Just a fond reflection of days past, for what it's worth on a drizzly morning in YEG.
Old Jun 11, 2000, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too am a great AC fan. I however am a strong believer that competition brings out the best in an organization. Air Canada needs to feel the breath of a good competitor on its proverbial neck. Moreover, they have become complacent and take Canadian flyers somewhat for granted. This is why I have flown CP metal in recent trips. It is voting with my feet...although the revenue eventually ends up in AC corporate coffers. Come on competition!!!
Old Jun 12, 2000, 9:58 pm

Ironic, isn't it, that we've now come full circle?

I remember back in the 'good ol' days' (about 3 years ago) when us oldtimers received a big whack of CP points for completing a survey, asking about things like reservations, check-in, inflight service, food and entertainment, baggage delivery... One outcome (of several) of the survey was the a la carte meal service. Now that it's been cut, wouldn't it be amusing if it was re-initiated as a result of this survey?

[This message has been edited by Ken hAAmer (edited 06-12-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.