Search

CX honours CP upgrade stickers?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 1999, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
CX honours CP upgrade stickers?

My travel agent in Vancouver (Continental) tells me that CX used to honour CP upgrade stickers at least until October this year. Does anyone have any (recent) experience with this? I will be flying CX YVR-JFK-YVR as the last piece for the OneWorld 100k bonus (on C Plus and BA Exec Club) on M fare and would love to burn up the stack of CP upgrade stickers I have.
Old Dec 16, 1999, 12:42 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

As far as I know, all the Oneworld partners except AA's domestic flight accepts CP's upgrade stickers. I've asked Exec. Plat desk regarding this and they told me the same thing. It's clearly stated on the upgrade folder, however, if there are spaces and you are a GOLD or EP member, they might give it to you.

Regards,
Empress

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 12-16-1999).]
Old Dec 16, 1999, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Does anyone know if it works the other way... say you have another OneWorld's partner upgrade sticker. Will CP accept it?
Old Dec 16, 1999, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Empress

Which package of sticker or where did you see it on? Mine (Initial and threshhold) folders expiring 2001 only indicates CP- and AA- operated flights within continental N. America and ultimate for Alitalia and Air Pacific too for the ultimate upgrade folder.

Would the stickers have been valid on M and V fares? I missed 10 IB, BA and AY flights i could have upgraded on!

FWIW, the travel agent told me that CX stopped accepting CP upgrade stickers at the beginning of November.

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 12-16-1999).]
Old Dec 16, 1999, 2:48 pm

It actually all depends on the gate agent. Some of them are very easy going and some are very strict. One thing for sure is they will give priority to all the Cplus member before considering OneWorld members. They have been upgrading quite a bit of 'Plain' Canadian Plus member lately.

Regards,
Empress
Old Dec 16, 1999, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
As far as I know, CX had NEVER accepted anyone's upgrade sticker on their flights.

You can only upgrade on CX flights transpacifically using AA points and CX worldwide using SR Qualfilier points or AsiaMiles points (neither of which are cheap - almost double that of AA).

What does CX say in Vancouver?
Old Dec 16, 1999, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Celestar:

Called the reservation office in vancouver and the agent said no. My travel agent (caters to the chinese market) said that they have upgraded using stickers for her clients until the end of October.

When i was waiting for CP 88 in Toronto in November, I saw someone trying to upgrade (not sure if using stickers but presumably a CP elite member) for the YYZ-HKG segment but all they seemed to be willing to do was block off seats.

Should I try to talk to the CX agents in english or cantonese? i'll try at check-in, the Marco Polo lounge (what is that like compared to the YVR international Empress lounge?) and at the gate.

Empress:

We are talkking about CX agents upgrading CP FFers with CP stickers vs CP agents on CP flights?

Old Dec 16, 1999, 6:54 pm

Terenz:

My response regarding CP agents upgrading was answer to IsleTraveller's question using Other Oneworld's parters' upgrade sticker on CP....

And yes...I did read it on the same upgrade folder regarding Eligible Airlines. However, I asked the Executive Platinum desk again and they said CX is a definitely NO-NO. They said I could use AsiaMiles, AA points or be given an complimentary/operational upgrade at the gate.

If you are a GOLD/EP member, yes..M and V fares are also upgradable. However, IB, BA and AY flights are definitely NOT upgradable using the stickers, so you didn't miss out on anything.

In general...the stickers are good for ALL CP operated aircraft, AA aircraft flying in North America, Alitalia and Air Pacific which has to be a CP codeshare.

I think they should develop some sort of OneWorld upgrade stickers...but again, don't know how long CP will be in Oneworld.

Regards,
Empress

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.