Wiki Posts
Search

Get Ready for the Canada Line to YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by bschaff1
Compared to the what airport transit costs in some other cities, $2.50 is a steal.
That's $2.50 on top of the regular fare.
[/QUOTE]

A two zone fare during weekday business hours is $3.75 so it'd be $6.25.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC E
Vancouver City Centre station was open to the public for a sneak peek on Saturday, so I stopped by to check it out.

I asked about the airport surcharge, and was told that it won't be applied until 2010 (presumably when they install fare gates).

I was somewhat disappointed with the trains. They look seriously bleak on the inside (light grey, blue seats), plasticky on the outside, and short.

Though it sounds like it'll open before Labour Day, I don't think BC Day is gonna happen. Still looking forward to it, though, and hope I can use it for my trip in late August.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
For some reason, one of the new trains was in use on the regular line. It seems a bit wider than the previous generation but it's a 1-2 config in the middle. I prefer the 2-2 config myself. However, the shock absorbing system is by far the most advanced so far.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by Braindrain
For some reason, one of the new trains was in use on the regular line. It seems a bit wider than the previous generation but it's a 1-2 config in the middle. I prefer the 2-2 config myself. However, the shock absorbing system is by far the most advanced so far.
Was it the Canada Line train? Cause they are also testing some new skytrain cars on Skytrain as well. Those have a new seating config, and an interactive station map along with a route display or something on the front.

The difference I guess would be the colors of the train and it says "Skytrain" instead of "Canada Line" on the side. The new Skytrain cars are grayish.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
You mean the dark grey coloured train? That's one of the new trains put in service a few weeks ago to expand capacity on the Expo/Millennium lines.

One of the reps at the open house said the Canada line will open at the end of August... I'm betting on August 31st.

Also the add-fare amount to YVR is not yet set in stone. Here's a graphic from a train:
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:59 pm

Completely different train. The Expo/Millenium Line trains don't have motors (the entire system is a giant linear motor) and are built by Bombardier, whereas the Canada Line trains are conventional, and built by [pretty sure] Hyundai.

What you experienced is the new batch of MkII cars for the existing line.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:17 pm

No idea, but it was the same grey colour that I see out in Richmond on the Canada Line. I didn't have much of an opportunity to look around inside as it was morning rush hour traffic. I haven't seen it again, since.

I guess I'll find out when the actual new line opens up.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:46 am

No idea, but it was the same grey colour that I see out in Richmond on the Canada Line. I didn't have much of an opportunity to look around inside as it was morning rush hour traffic. I haven't seen it again, since.

I guess I'll find out when the actual new line opens up.
No need to wait, I'll post pics of both right here. Again, I'll point out that train(a) wont run on track(b) and vice-versa. The systems work in an entirely different way.

New car for old lines;
http://buzzer.translink.ca/wp-conten...w-skytrain.jpg

New car for Canada Line;
http://www.canadaline.ca/gallery.asp...rPage=1#larger
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:51 am

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
Originally Posted by CZBB
totally OT, but I realized there's a button on the website for Chinese translation... wouldn't you think French translation would come first?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by beepyou
totally OT, but I realized there's a button on the website for Chinese translation... wouldn't you think French translation would come first?
You'd think but really in reality there is hardly any french speakers in the Vancouver area. It's not unusual to phone companies here as well and have "Press 1 for English, 2 for Cantonese, and 3 for Mandarin" (No French Option).

Anyway the reason is most likely because it runs through Richmond and there is a large Chinese population in that area.

Another interesting note is I don't believe the Translink site is even available in French, just English only.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Completely different train. The Expo/Millenium Line trains don't have motors (the entire system is a giant linear motor)
I was going to say. The big white box you seen running between the tracks on the 2 older lines are part of the linear induction motor.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:02 am

I laugh in your general direction. There's a local MLA office just down the road from me, and his sign lacks french, but is marked in;
ENGLISH
CHINESE
KOREAN
TAGALOG
SPANISH
HINDI

As for signs near the airport, the City of Richmond, bc (which is where the airport is), is approximately 60% Chinese. Most street signs are in English and Chinese.

The only part of BC that has any significant French population is Esquimalt (nr Victoria) because of the Naval Base.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I was going to say. The big white box you seen running between the tracks on the 2 older lines are part of the linear induction motor.
I'm pretty sure the loop from VCC/Clark -> Waterfront (via Columbia) is the longest linear motor in the world.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:59 pm

No need to wait, I'll post pics of both right here. Again, I'll point out that train(a) wont run on track(b) and vice-versa. The systems work in an entirely different way.

New car for old lines;
http://buzzer.translink.ca/wp-conten...w-skytrain.jpg

New car for Canada Line;
http://www.canadaline.ca/gallery.asp...rPage=1#larger
Hey, thanks for the pics. The interior of the "new" cars is certainly different from what I saw.

Even the Olympic Oval in Richmond has English only signs. It even made the House of Commons a few months ago. Richmond stoutly refuses to pay for any French signage.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Looks great. I've taken the Sky Train on the downtown to Metrotown route and it's fast with a great view.

The track is mostly raised, like a monorail's.

(Obligatory Simpsons reference: "There ain't no monorail here and there never was!")

Sadly here in Toronto our streetcars and subways cars are 20-25+ years old. Think: AC's 767s before they were XM'd. Some of the subway cars still bear the gaudy orange interior and vinyl seats from the 70's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.