Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get Ready for the Canada Line to YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: TK elite & BA Gold
Originally Posted by gglave
"Back in the day" if you wanted to take public transit from downtown to YVR you would have taken the "10 Granville" bus to Granville street and 70th avenue and then transferred to "Bus 100" which ran out to the airport.
And this (or similiar possibility) is not available anymore, isn´t it?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by foxyankee
And this (or similiar possibility) is not available anymore, isn´t it?
Not really. Now that they've built the Canada Line there aren't any city buses running out to the airport any more, other than a "Night Bus" that runs in the wee hours when the Canada Line isn't running. The 100 Bus doesn't run to the airport any more.

The modern variation of this is old routing is to take Bus #10 to the Marine Drive Canada Line Station (instead of to Granville and 70th avenue) and then take the Canada Line out to the airport (instead of taking Bus 100 out to the airport).

If you have a phobia about subway trains this routing has the advantage of always being above-ground. You never go underground.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: TK elite & BA Gold
Don´t worry about underground-things, that is absolutly no problem.

And thanks again for all the info!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by foxyankee
I am staying in the area of Burrand/Davie St..
Very simple. If you don't mind a 10 minute walk, walk down Davie towards Yaletown, enter the Yaletown Canada line station (close to Pacific) and away you go.

Another option is to grab a #6 on Davie @ Burrard, which will drop you off very close to City Centre Canada Line station. The hassle and extra time of this option isn't worth saving 5 minutes of walking in my mind.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:44 pm

Bumping an old thread to note that apparently it's going to be harder for out-of-towners to avoid the YVR $5 AddFare starting October 20 as the 7-11 and Pharmasave are going to stop selling FareSavers and DayPasses. The only remaining options for out-of-towners appear to be:

- Get a Compass Card mailed to you and add a DayPass online. This only works if you have a Canadian address.
- Hope that some airport vendor starts selling preloaded Compass Cards and then add the day pass online using the stored value. Needless to say, the Translink website isn't going to tell you whether 7-11 or Pharmasave sell preloaded Compass Cards, so I guess we'll only find out after October 20.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Apparently the ticket vending machines at the stations will all have the option to buy Compass cards (for a $6 deposit) that can be loaded with store value or with monthly and day passes starting November.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and...-Timeline.aspx
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:01 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by daniellam
Apparently the ticket vending machines at the stations will all have the option to buy Compass cards (for a $6 deposit) that can be loaded with store value or with monthly and day passes starting November.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and...-Timeline.aspx
Yes but:

DayPasses purchased from a Compass Vending Machine on Sea Island will include the $5 Canada Line YVR AddFare.
http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and...-Products.aspx
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:40 pm

Incidentally they've revised the text to remove the reference to "October 20," so apparently the FareSavers and DayPasses are still available from 7-11 and Pharmasave.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by lordsutch
Incidentally they've revised the text to remove the reference to "October 20," so apparently the FareSavers and DayPasses are still available from 7-11 and Pharmasave.
I'll be vacationing in Vancouver in two weeks. Out of curiosity, does this mean the price for a single trip from YVR - Centre City will go from $4 to $9?

Also, I'll be getting in to YVR a little after midnight. I'm staying at the Westin Bayshore. Novice question, could I conceivably take the Canada Line to Centre City or Waterfront and then get a taxi from there? Just want to be sure the details are straight after a 20 hour day.

Last edited by tnm5041; Nov 12, 2015 at 11:51 am Reason: added question
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tnm5041
I'll be vacationing in Vancouver in two weeks. Out of curiosity, does this mean the price for a single trip from YVR - Centre City will go from $4 to $9?
There has always been a $5 "addfare" for Canada Line SkyTrain trips originating at YVR.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and...R-AddFare.aspx

The "FareSaver" tips elsewhere in this thread relate to little tricks to get around paying the extra $5.

At the time you're arriving the fare will be $2.75 + $5 addfare = $7.75

(Prior to 6:30 PM the fare would be $4 + $5 addfare = $9)

Also, I'll be getting in to YVR a little after midnight. I'm staying at the Westin Bayshore. Novice question, could I conceivably take the Canada Line to Centre City or Waterfront and then get a taxi from there?
Yes, but in the case of the Vancouver City Centre station you'll want make the short walk to the Four Seasons Hotel and pick up a taxi there:

http://tinyurl.com/npq9jul

...Unless you happen to see one on its way up Granville Street. There won't be cabs hanging out outside the station.

Last edited by gglave; Nov 12, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:28 am

Fantastic, thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by gglave
There has always been a $5 "addfare" for Canada Line SkyTrain trips originating at YVR.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and...R-AddFare.aspx

The "FareSaver" tips elsewhere in this thread relate to little tricks to get around paying the extra $5.

At the time you're arriving the fare will be $2.75 + $5 addfare = $7.75

(Prior to 6:30 PM the fare would be $4 + $5 addfare = $9)

Yes, but in the case of the Vancouver City Centre station you'll want make the short walk to the Four Seasons Hotel and pick up a taxi there:

http://tinyurl.com/npq9jul

...Unless you happen to see one on its way up Granville Street. There won't be cabs hanging out outside the station.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:25 pm

Fantastic, thanks for the tip.
tnm5041 Please note;

The last train leaving YVR is at 12:56AM the next one not till 5:07AM. If you arrive after midnight you might not make the train and have to rely on Taxi.

Yeah I know it's crazy but that's Translink for you.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by SometimeTraveler
tnm5041 Please note;

The last train leaving YVR is at 12:56AM the next one not till 5:07AM. If you arrive after midnight you might not make the train and have to rely on Taxi.

Yeah I know it's crazy but that's Translink for you.
Almost an hour should be plenty of time to catch the last train at 12:56am. The station is right acoss the street and up one escalator from where you come put of International arrivals. There are ticket machines right on the platform that take cash or credit cards. Unless you get pulled into a lengthy secondary at customs, you should make it easily, with time to spare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.