Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver 2010 Olympic Tickets!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up Vancouver 2010 Olympic Tickets!

All the tickets allocated to Canadian sales were sold out today. Nearly all went in the initial allocation request process and those that remained all sold today in a few hours. While there may still be some tickets allocated later I suspect the odds of securing any maybe slim.

Pretty happy to get tickets to a men's hockey game, women's hockey game, short track speed skating and bobsled Also attending 3 "Victory Ceremonies"/Concerts where medals are awarded each night.

Accommodations all lined up within a 5 min walk of BC Place and 2 nights in Whistler as well so things are looking pretty decent

Anyone else attending the games? What events did you manage to get tickets to?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Well i signed up for a bunch of events in the lotto. I requested opening and closing ceremony tickets and several other events. I ended up getting tickets to the opening and closing but nothing inbetween.
I was able to get some tickets to the women's hockey bronze medal game in the second round.
I am a little dissapointed that i didn't get tickets to the bobsled, luge, or ski jumping.
I think i will try to make it to the opening and see if i can trade off some of my other tickets for some events around the start of the games. While I am at it I still need to line up some accomidations.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Very odd how the system worked. I would have obviously liked to have tickets to the opening ceremonies but got 2 of 8 events instead and then bought tickets to 2 hockey games and some victory ceremonies. I still hold out some hope of somehow lucking out on tickets to the opening ceremonies between now and then...I guess we shall see. Regardless, the event will be amazing with people in Vancouver from every corner of the world - the excitement will be extreme
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:10 pm

We tried for opening, closing, and a few popular events in town (Vancouver... too lazy to figure out what the plan would be to get up to Whistler) but got bupkis. Again, too lazy to attempt for tickets during the second round. I was kind of in disbelief though how some friends were able to snag literally over 2 dozen tix to various events.

To be honest, while it would have been nice to get some tix to some events, it's not devastating that we didn't get any. We know a number of friends and coworkers that picked up more tickets than they can use just for the sake of picking them up. So, we might try to snag extra tix from them or word of mouth if they need to get rid of any. [Though, got to be careful about the origin of the tix as there was a big fiasco with the recent Madonna concert where people were scammed into buying canceled tix.]
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
My employer ordered for 10 events.
Got NONE.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Pres Club, Starwood Gold, NEXUS
2010 Tix Sales

There were 4 of us 'pooling' our options in the lottery and between us could not get anything for the men's gold medal hockey game or any curling medals. Oh well. I haven't heard of anyone who did.

We did get Women's Gold Medal Ice Hockey and some men's and ladies short track speed skating finals all in one event. On the second round we were easily (after a lot of fighting with their online system) able to snag 2 victory ceremonies, 2 men's ice hockey preliminary, 1 mens and 1 women's qualification curling.

I'm glad to have a few different option spread throughout the 2 weeks. Cost us $1500 though.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Managed to get one of the Olympic Experience packages (preliminary men`s and women`s ice hockey and curling, Victory ceremony), along with luge tickets. No Opening Ceremony, alas.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:52 am

This ticket lottery is a scam!

The whole process is a scam.

I ordered tickets to a total of 9 events, all type A most expensive ticket category to a total value of >$8,000.

I was only allotted 1 figure skating event “cascaded” to the cheapest tickets.

I tried from 8:55AM PST on 12th for over 50 minutes but was unable to log into my account to buy additional tickets under the so-called “priority access” period.

I am very disappointed.

Vancouver and BC are off my travel list for the next 3 years.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Pres Club, Starwood Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I am very disappointed.

Vancouver and BC are off my travel list for the next 3 years.
Too bad you paint all of BC and Vancouver with the same brush as VANOC.

We've got so much more to offer than just the 2010 Olympics.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:43 pm

I'm in Vancouver at least 3-4 times a year. I love the scenary, doing the yearly Grouse Grind to improve my time, walking along the seawall, biking, eating at my favourite dim sum place, chilling out with my cousin and best friend.

I sent in my application for Phase 1 and didn't get any tickets. I tried for opening ceromony, gold men's hockey gold medal game and a preliminary men's hockey. But during the extended period, I waited patiently 3 hours in the virtual room before I was able to snag 2 pairs of Men's Hockey Prelims. Wasn't my first choice but better than no men's hockey and I'm guaranteed on going to the Games. I'm going to try for Opening ceromony tickets. Can't wait for the games
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by loopies
Too bad you paint all of BC and Vancouver with the same brush as VANOC.

We've got so much more to offer than just the 2010 Olympics.
There are 20 Board of Directors at VANOC.

8 out of 20 Directors were nominated by either the Province of British Columbia, Resort Municipality of Whistler, Squamish and Lil'wat First Nations or City of Vancouver.

For the remaining 12, Jack Poole has a close connection to BC and receipient of the Order of BC. Peter Brown also has a strong BC connection. Charmaine Crooks lives in North Vancouver. Michael Phelps lives in Vancouver. Beckie Scott lives in Panorama, BC.

It is definitely BC dominated and does not represent a fair across the country representation.

I don't know how many people have 3 hours to sit at an Internet terminal during normal work hours on a weekday to have a second try for tickets. I don't.

The whole phase 1 ticket lottery is a scam.

Last edited by Clipper801; Dec 29, 2008 at 8:16 pm
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I personally think it should have been an online bidding system. If you're willing to pay enough, you get tickets. That way anyone who truly wanted tickets could have gotten them and 2010 could have maximized profits.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:57 am

Didn't realise you could apply until 3 days too late Hoping partners cousin who works for athletics canada can pick up some hockey ones though. Actually, reminds me to give a kick to the family in Canada as flights will be bookable soon.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Individual Tickets
SS007 Speed Skating
2/20/2010 : 01:00PM - 03:00PM B $103.55 4 0 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
IH030 Ice Hockey
2/21/2010 : 12:00PM - 02:30PM B $87.20 4 0 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
CU020 Curling
2/22/2010 : 02:00PM - 05:00PM A $70.85 4 4 $283.40 $56.68 $11.92 $352.00

I put in for those 3 and only got curling. The friends we are going with are a bit afraid of buying scalped tickets so I've got 2 extra curling tickets
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
I personally think it should have been an online bidding system. If you're willing to pay enough, you get tickets. That way anyone who truly wanted tickets could have gotten them and 2010 could have maximized profits.

If you want to pay more $ I'll guarentee there will be scalped tickets for all events. The lottery is the only fair system IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.