Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
More griping from South of the Border.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...tickets16.html
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:05 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
The Seattle Times obviously has an axe to grind. They don't really mention the fact that for the public, the entire process has been very similar for at least the last 3-4 olympics. And hotels will drop their prices at the last minute, like they have for previous olympics. Patience is the key.

So people complain because they don't want to follow the system? I played the game, was at my computer last May at the exact time that more US tickets were released through CoSport and got all the tickets I wanted. I also realized well ahead of time that the best way to secure housing in/near Vancouver and Whistler was to book a bed in the hostels. In fact, I have a private room in a Vancouver hostel for five nights including breakfast. The room can hold up to three people and costs CAD$115/night. I booked my flights using miles (the lowest award level) almost as soon as I could. I was able to secure a flight into Vancouver so I am returning from Seattle, for only 25K miles and $10 in taxes.

So I am testimony to the fact that with proper planning, attending the olympics by Joe Public is possible at a reasonable price. I figure that for 12 nights lodging, 9 event tickets, all transportation and food (mostly preparing my own food) will cost under $2,000.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold
Bought tickets this past weekend - US

I happened to be surfing the CoSport website this past Saturday as the Canadian Phase 3 sale was starting and came across a bunch of event tickets. I ended up with 2 tickets each to Alpine Skiing and Nordic Combined. I had considered buying those on StubHub as the Games got closer and was lucky they came available and I happened to surf the website when I did. Point is, the tickets are out there. You just need to be persistent and know that it may take checking the website multiple times on a daily basis until you hit paydirt.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
More griping from South of the Border.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...tickets16.html
Why is it griping. Seems like a legitimate complaint to me.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Why is it griping. Seems like a legitimate complaint to me.
Here's an easy way to avoid all that calamity: book with Hilton at the special Go For the Gold Rate and you could win accommodations in Vancouver and VIP tickets to the games. I'm working with Hilton on the promotion so let me know if you have any questions.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by fsderek09
Here's an easy way to avoid all that calamity: book with Hilton at the special Go For the Gold Rate and you could win accommodations in Vancouver and VIP tickets to the games. I'm working with Hilton on the promotion so let me know if you have any questions.
This is a sweepstakes. What if you don't win and you have bought tickets? I have been monitoring the hotel availability situation during the game in and near Vancouver on a weekly basis since June and nothing has been released for public sale for other than on a "bundled" basis.

I suppose that there will always be a few of those brave ones who will go without accommodation arranged in advance.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by annerj

If you want to pay more $ I'll guarentee there will be scalped tickets for all events. The lottery is the only fair system IMO.
But there is no hotel accommodation available.

VANOC has locked up all the rooms.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Official Ticket Scalping site has opened today for resale and gifting(!) of tickets. It's sanctioned and you can find it at the ringmasters' site. Sellers are free to set their own prices.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The Official Ticket Scalping site has opened today for resale and gifting(!) of tickets. It's sanctioned and you can find it at the ringmasters' site. Sellers are free to set their own prices.
I thought this was a cool idea when I got the email. But then I went into the site and I was shocked and disappointed that they would allow scalping so openly on the Vancouver2010 site no less. I mean, of course the scalpers will make the most of things but openly on the official Olympic site?

Frankly I find it disgusting that tickets with face value of $325 are being sold for $1200 each on the official website of the Vancouver Olympics.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I thought this was a cool idea when I got the email. But then I went into the site and I was shocked and disappointed that they would allow scalping so openly on the Vancouver2010 site no less. I mean, of course the scalpers will make the most of things but openly on the official Olympic site?
Cool idea for the Ringmasters. They take 10% from each.

Scalping isn't illegal in Canada and the RIngmasters need the money to pay retention bonuses.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:00 am

Scalping isn't illegal in Canada ...
It is in certain provinces but the fines are minimal and enforcement is non-existent. Ontario for example has a Ticket Speculation Act enacted in 1990 which states in part:

Offences:

2.Every person who ...
(a) being the holder of a ticket, sells or disposes of the ticket at a higher price than that at which it was first issued, or endeavours or offers so to do ...
is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not more than $5,000

And according to this link, Alberta & Manitoba also have legislation which "prevents" scalping.

So it would appear that in BC, scalping is just fine and dandy. I guess the ethics / morality of the almightly $$$ don't weigh in with the Olympics. It's a pity really.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I guess the ethics / morality of the almightly $$$ don't weigh in with the Olympics. It's a pity really.
It's the almighty omnipotent IOC we're talking about. (Wish I could say that in the Lily Tomlin "Operator" voice)
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:18 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that non-Canadian ticket holders can't list tickets on the Official Ticket Scalping Site . . . ? I'm not terribly surprised, but it would have been nice seeing as how I have some tickets I can't use. Don't really want to sell them on Stubhub; can't just wait until I get to Vancouver and sell them there, since they're for a morning Whistler event on the day that's now my arrival date into YVR. May end up hanging out by the AC ticket counter at SFO a couple of days before the event and trying my luck there . . . .
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:37 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Clipper801
But there is no hotel accommodation available.

VANOC has locked up all the rooms.
Actually there have been a couple of reports of people getting hotels in/near Vancouver. But granted, 99% of hotel rooms are locked up by VANOC. However, there are other options

-stay in WA state and drive across the border each day
-go to craigslist or vrbo
-consider a hostel. Some have private rooms. I have 12 nights booked in two different hostels, including a private room in one of them for five nights for a total of $890.
-something else I haven't thought of

And patience is a virtue. As with the past 3 olympics that I have been tracking, hotel availability will increase and rates will plummet by mid January.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by fti
And patience is a virtue. As with the past 3 olympics that I have been tracking, hotel availability will increase and rates will plummet by mid January.
That's good to hear. Can you expand on that a little? i.e. Do we just keep checking the various hotel websites and hope for the best? Any tips & tricks you can pass on here?

I would imagine hotels will try to charge the full rack rate. In your experience, have rates approached normal high-season rates as the actual Olympics draw closer?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.