Reload this Page >

Snow tires ever on Rental Cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snow tires ever on Rental Cars?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:46 pm

I heard a story of a guy who used to drive a particular model of vehicle and whenever he needed new tires he'd rent the same model and swap the tires. Its a dishonest world.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: several
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
No one makes winter tires like us Finns...

Hahaha Good one!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by cur
maybe you should stick with a cab

it's a good idea, but I hafta drive to various places up to Quebec City & back, and a cab might cost a bit.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:03 am

I don't suppose Avis would have any car equipped with snow tire at YYZ/YOW.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by NickinTO
Word up for Nokian tires!
I had Nokian RSI's on my van last winter. Incredible isn't adequate to describe them. I put a set on my wife's Honda civic last week and it doesn't have ABS (1996).

She drove around our street for 10 minutes just accelerating and braking and zig zagging the night we brought it home in the -30 weather we had last week. She just couldn't believe that they stuck to the snow that great ^

She did mention that he car sounds like something all pimped out on the drive pavement but that she will glady put up with it given how they are on snow which she used to hate driving on but now isn't afraid of anymore.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:56 am
Suspended

I had snow tires on a rental car in Yellowknife. Of course that should be expected... but not in July

(kidding, it was Feb)
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:54 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
No one makes winter tires like us Finns...
Pffft, there are only 5.2 million people in Finland.

Originally Posted by ALW
The guys on some car sites (analogous to FT) have a saying: "in snow, the worst winter tires are better than the best all-season tires".

Of course they're not recommending the worst tires anyway. And they're not snow tires, they're winter tires. Among other things the rubber compound is different and stays more supple and stickier in cold weather, improving braking and traction even on bare pavement.

It should be the law that rental companies and fleet owners put winter tires on their vehicles, in some regions if not everywhere. Listening to CFRB's traffic report last night at about 9pm (while driving through Hawkesbury!) I'd think it would be good in Toronto. I'd actually support a law that _all_ vehicles must have winter tires (I don't want someone else banging into me!) but those regularly driven by not-the-owner would be a start.

=aw
Weeeeiiiird. I drive an x-terra and my all-seasons handle pretty damn well. Maybe I should try thems winter tires out?

Originally Posted by jral
it's a good idea, but I hafta drive to various places up to Quebec City & back, and a cab might cost a bit.
So no chopper?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by B1
If you look at the most recent Consumer Reports tests on all-season and winter tires, you will notice that some of the all-season tires are excellent in snow and some are not. While all winter tires are fine in snow, they are not so fine on dry or wet pavement without snow, making noise and not handling well on curves or braking. The CR article shows one major brand all season as being excellent on snow traction and seven very good, one excellent on ice-braking and two very good (they were also very good on snow traction). Some of the ones that were fine in snow traction were also good on wet and dry as well. The caution that is stated is "all-season tires aren’t the best in the wake of a severe winter storm, especially if you must be on road before the highway crews" while winter tires probably do not grip as well on cleared roads and must be removed in the summer.
Please could you post a web ref for this information?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost any rental company will provide winter tires on a request basis. Despite the claims that all season radials are "just as good", at least on the vehicles I have driven, snow tires make an enormous difference. I request them and pay a premimum if required as this is one simple little thing that can make the difference between an accident or not.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to statistics, mandatory snow tires in Quebec reduced the accident rate by 30% the first year.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Winter Tires Charge

Last year some of the car rental agencies were charging extra for winter tires in BC & AB, not sure how much it was though.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:24 am

With Hertz in Toronto I've requested winter tires and they were able to give me a car based out of Montreal (with QC plates) where as it has been mentioned it's mandatory. Could you after landing go to Gatineau (Hull) to rent there, or tell them that you may be dropping it off in QC. The legislation applies to all cars regardless of registration rented from within QC too.

Are vehicles from outside of Québec affected by this measure?

No, with the exception of certain rental vehicles. The legislative provision applies to vehicles (taxis and passenger vehicles) registered in Québec, as well as to passenger vehicles that are rented in Québec (regardless of where they are registered).
source

P.S. Welcome to Flyertalk Benthamman (post #22)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is that in Germany, by law they have to give you winter tires during winter.

BTW they do charge extra if though it's mandatory.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
My understanding is that in Germany, by law they have to give you winter tires during winter.

BTW they do charge extra if though it's mandatory.
Kind of. If you book with winter tires there is an extra charge. If you don't book with winter tires there is no extra charge. The car by law must have winter tires anyway (this also applies to Austria).
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

To tie this back to an AC/AP topic:

I wanted to rent a car w snow tires for a winter trip from Vancouver to the Okanagan, with lots of snow on the ground and a promise of snowy mountain passes.

To save myself some frustration, I called the CIBC Aerogold Infinite concierge and asked him to find me a rental agency with an appropriately-equipped tires. He said that he will call me back.

Two years later, still nothing.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:22 pm

i believe rental cars in Quebec are equipped with snow tires, because the law mandates them.........

Other provinces, I guess it depends....but there might be an insurance rebate incentive for the rental car companies to do so?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.