Security at YYZ (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security at YYZ (2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2023, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by RedBet
When I got mine the US guy told me I always need my passport while travelling by air but nexus is suffficent when traveling on land…. while the Canadian guy told me passport is only needed when entering Canada with a nexus card for the first time
Is there an official rule about domestic only? I have a couple of flights coming up from YYZ (T1 & T3) and would like to use the Nexus lane, but I’d rather not have to bring my passport.

The only time I used Nexus for a non-US flight was Dublin, and they didn’t ask to also see my passport.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:03 am

CBSA was checking everyone's passports right after coming off the jet bridge in T3 yesterday. I've never had this happen before. Is this something new they're doing?
Old May 9, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by Falcon50
CBSA was checking everyone's passports right after coming off the jet bridge in T3 yesterday. I've never had this happen before. Is this something new they're doing?
A dozen officers doing the same thing coming off AC881 last week, and not polite about it at all. "Passports out!" Many passengers had them in their purses or carry-ons. Last time I saw anything like this was in US a couple of times shortly after 9-11.
Old May 9, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
A dozen officers doing the same thing coming off AC881 last week, and not polite about it at all. "Passports out!" Many passengers had them in their purses or carry-ons. Last time I saw anything like this was in US a couple of times shortly after 9-11.
It does happen occasionally. It could be a random spot check. It's probably more likely they were looking for a particular individual, but checking all passports along the way.
Old May 9, 2023, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Bokehman
Is there an official rule about domestic only? I have a couple of flights coming up from YYZ (T1 & T3) and would like to use the Nexus lane, but I’d rather not have to bring my passport.

The only time I used Nexus for a non-US flight was Dublin, and they didn’t ask to also see my passport.
Given how much aggravation I've received from only having the Nexus card, I just take both these days. Some gate agents have no issue, others ask for the passport regardless of what document you used to check in.
Old May 10, 2023, 12:54 pm

If you are asking about accessing the priority Nexus lane at domestic security, you only need to show your Nexus card, not your passport.
Old May 11, 2023, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The YYZ connection should be fine - the signs will lead you to the transfer area where there is a cursory passport and boarding pass check before entering the international departures concourse.
Before the international gates, is there any security screening? The kind that takes away your liquids?
Old May 11, 2023, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tracon
Before the international gates, is there any security screening? The kind that takes away your liquids?
No additional outbound security - just a cursory passport and boarding pass check with an immigration agent, then you are released into the international departures concourse.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I was pleased to find a few days ago , domestic YYZ (t1) security was TSA PRE style (shoes on, laptops in) was super easy and quick. Much better.
Old May 30, 2023, 9:56 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by entropy
I was pleased to find a few days ago , domestic YYZ (t1) security was TSA PRE style (shoes on, laptops in) was super easy and quick. Much better.
It's part of the new security rollout that has been trailed for awhile (at least at YVR) and announced for major airports in Canada.
Old May 31, 2023, 3:11 am

It will be interesting to see how it goes. I have an early morning domestic flight from YYZ T1.
Old May 31, 2023, 3:23 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I flew out on the 29th morning domestic from YYZ and it was laptop out for everyone.
Old May 31, 2023, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I flew out on the 29th morning domestic from YYZ and it was laptop out for everyone.
What about liquids and shoes? I don’t travel with a laptop (iPad Mini, though).
Old May 31, 2023, 4:16 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
What about liquids and shoes? I don’t travel with a laptop (iPad Mini, though).
Shoes they let me wear but had to take off my belt and of course the power bank.

Interesting comparison to TPE where at least in transit they do ask you to keep everything in your hand luggage. Laptops inside, no removal of belt and shoes etc. But it could be different if you are departing from TPE.
Old May 31, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Honestly, this happens every few months/years at YYZ and other Canadian airports. They "pilot" against Nexus to keep everything in the bags including liquids, electronics, etc. Then suddenly they will halt the pilot and go back to the usual MO. Rinse and repeat. While I love the current Nexus approach at YYZ, just chuck your bag in the bin and that's it, I'm not going to hold my breath this is the new 'standard' for more than a few weeks or month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.