Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Background

Before COVID, flights were distributed as follows:
  • A: WestJet domestic flights
  • B: shared between WestJet, Air Canada, and others, domestic flights
  • C: Air Canada domestic flights
  • D: international flights (excluding US)
  • E: transborder (“TB”, i.e. to the US) flights

During the early days of COVID, the airport made the decision to consolidate operations in the eastern/southern area of the airport. The A pier was closed. WestJet flights were moved to the B pier and C pier. The segregated international area in D was eliminated.

There are many references below to piers and gate numbers. Please note that most YYC gate maps that you will find online are out of date. Many of the prominent Google results still reflect the numbering system from before the new international pier was built, and YYC’s own interactive map has not been updated to reflect any of the COVID-related changes discussed in this thread, because the airport authority is useless and incompetent. For those not familiar with the airport, this is the most useful map the original author of this wiki has found.

Current Situation - Gate Allocation

Although operations are getting back towards normal, the airport authority appears to be sticking with some of its moronic decisions taken during COVID.

The A gates are in somewhat limited use, with most domestic flights going from the B, C, and D piers. Domestic flights can now depart from anywhere between A11 and D97. There appears to be little in the way of logic as to where each airline is operating at any time.

International flights still depart exclusively from D gates.

Transborder flights continue to depart exclusively from the E gates. However, gates 84 and higher are no longer used exclusively for transborder flights. Those gates may be used for domestic, international, or US flights.

Construction is under way on the ramp between the B and C piers, limiting use of certain gates.

Gate Allocation & Layout - Impact on Passengers

YYC is an extremely poorly designed airport, especially the new international wing that was opened several years ago, and is not a great airport to fly through at the best of times. However, many design flaws are compounded by the current situation.

The current dispersal of flights around the airport frequently requires long walks. Approximate distances from the C security checkpoint to:
  • D70 (base of D pier) 300m
  • D76 (south end of D pier) 500m
  • D80 500m
  • D97 (east end of D pier) 800m
  • WS lounge (base of B pier) 150m
  • B39 (end of B pier) 350m
  • A20 (end of A pier) 600m

There are moving walkways that cover part of the distance from the base of the C pier to the bases of the B and D piers, and from the base of the B pier to the base of the A pier, but a fair amount of walking is still required as the walkways only cover a portion of the distance, and there are no moving walkways within the piers themselves.

There are several elevation changes that may be unpleasant for those with mobility issues, including an uphill ramp moving from the C pier to the D pier (just before gate 70), and a long uphill ramp (about 2 stories of vertical movement) moving from the area around gates 80-83 to 84+ (obviously these ramps are downhill in the opposing directions). Many of the ramps around YYC lack customary handrails and flat rest areas as the airport was/is exempt from building codes.

LINK Shuttle

Unlike most major airports that have some sort of train system to shuttle passengers around the airport, YYC relies on oversized golf carts, which the airport authority refers to as the LINK shuttle (some in the AC forum derogatorily refer to these as "meep meeps" since they look like something out of a cartoon).

Also note that the shuttle only runs to the start of the D pier, before gate 70. Therefore up to ~500m of walking could be required to reach one's gate.

Current Situation - Check-In

AC and WS domestic check-in are at their usual locations at C and A respectively.

Flair and Air North are at door 8 (next to AC, between B and C).

Flights to the US (all airlines) - check-in desks in usual locations at E.

International flights are at the D area, including AC and WS

Current Situation - Security

Hours for checkpoints can be found here.

Priority security:
  • A checkpoint: ???
  • B checkpoint: 1 line for Verified Traveller + families
  • C, D, and E checkpoints: 1 line for Verified Traveller, 1 line for families + airline priority (business class, status, etc)

At YYC, only the Verified Traveller lane at the C checkpoint offers expedited screening. The other VT lanes simply get one to the front of the line quicker.

Those looking to avoid body scanners may wish to use the B checkpoint, where there are none.

Connections

As a result of the issues described above, connecting through YYC can be a nightmare at the moment. Some domestic connections require moving from a gate at the end of the A pier to the east end of the D pier, e.g. A20 to D95, which involves around 1.5 km of distance. Many connections will require lengthy walks. Please plan accordingly.

Sterile transit (i.e. International to International, or ITI, connections without clearing Canadian immigration/customs) is not available, since there is no longer a segregated international departures area. It is unknown when, if ever, this will return. All connections therefore require entering Canada.

ITD OSS, a.k.a. One-Stop Security, which allows passengers to connect from an international flight to a domestic one without re-clearing security, is available. Passengers must be travelling on a single ticket and should be eligible if they are coming from the US or Europe. From Mexico or the Caribbean, it’s less clear. Note that OSS requires both an eligible origin and eligible airline combination - WS to WS and AC to AC are fine. KL to WS is eligible. But KL to AC, for instance, is not eligible.

Connecting to the US always requires re-clearing security at the E gates, regardless of where you're coming from. US security is located before the CBP area.

When Will Things Get Better?

Probably never, given the incompetence of the airport authority.

Despite the A gates in use, there doesn't actually appear to be any immediate desire to eliminate the use of the D gates for domestic flights. On November 1, 2021, the useless airport authority actually published a video highlighting the use of the D gates for domestic flights, and modifications to the international terminal to create a specific exit pathway for domestic passengers back to the A, B, C gates, among other changes.

Lounges

The following lounges exist at YYC. You should consult your airline for further details on access, but a rough summary follows:
  • Accessible to customers on domestic or international flights:
    • Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge: base of C pier
    • WestJet Elevation lounge: base of B pier
    • Aspire (formerly international) lounge: D gates, entrance near D80
  • Accessible to customers on transborder flights ONLY:
    • Aspire TB lounge: E gates, do a 180 to the left after coming out of duty-free

Customers connecting from a domestic flight to a transborder one are physically able to access one of the domestic/international lounges, but beware that getting to your flight requires re-clearing security and going through US customs. TB passengers originating at YYC may be able to access the domestic/international area before their flight, but are at the whim of CATSA. Before COVID, this was generally not a problem, but since COVID, CATSA may have adopted a different policy. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Flying through YYC (security, connections, customs, etc) Sep 2021 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Only a couple places do. YVR and YYZ TB may be the only ones.

If you were flying non-stop to the US, you would have had to take off your shoes. If you were flying domestically, you would have only had to take them off if they were very large boots or set off the metal detector the first time through, that kind of thing.

yes. I was flying to US back then.

i see. it is so inconsistent across airports
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:09 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gnomey
yes. I was flying to US back then.

i see. it is so inconsistent across airports
No, NEXUS is pretty consistently just a quicker ticket to the front of the line. There are those one or two exceptions at the two largest airports in the country, but it's a far more consistent experience than PreCheck often has been in the US, with some places just getting you to the front of the line but no special screening, others getting you PreCheck Light, others full PreCheck as long as you have the right little paper or card that they handed you when they checked your ID...

At YYC, you should expect:
  • Laptop and any large tablets come out
  • Liquids come out
  • Jackets, sweaters, etc come off
  • Shoes stay on, unless you're going through security in the TB area, in which case they come off

And that's essentially the same as you'll get everywhere else in the country, whether in a NEXUS lane or not.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No, NEXUS is pretty consistently just a quicker ticket to the front of the line. There are those one or two exceptions at the two largest airports in the country, but it's a far more consistent experience than PreCheck often has been in the US, with some places just getting you to the front of the line but no special screening, others getting you PreCheck Light, others full PreCheck as long as you have the right little paper or card that they handed you when they checked your ID...

At YYC, you should expect:
  • Laptop and any large tablets come out
  • Liquids come out
  • Jackets, sweaters, etc come off
  • Shoes stay on, unless you're going through security in the TB area, in which case they come off

And that's essentially the same as you'll get everywhere else in the country, whether in a NEXUS lane or not.
in US, 100% of my precheck experience dont require shoes , laptop, light jacket or liquids to come off or taken out.

out of them, 5% of the time I was given a card. that only happens in airports where there are no dedicated precheck lane. so that they can tell the regular passengers vs precheck passengers. example: some regional airports.

at airports where precheck has no impact, it is more like an airstrip. so no building, no metal detector. hop from car onto tarmac and climb up plane stairs of commercial airliner. example: rural alaska

if there is any deviation, it is more likely the person doesnt qualify for precheck to begin with. example: a rando being pulled aside for real world trial testing of screening a non-precheck person using precheck rules
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
YVR to YYC
layover in YYC IS 97 minutes
YYC to ATL

Is 97 minutes to clear customs and make the connection enough time?

I assume customs is my only obstacle, or do I have to clear security again for some reason? Never been to YYC.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by defrosted
YVR to YYC
layover in YYC IS 97 minutes
YYC to ATL

Is 97 minutes to clear customs and make the connection enough time?

I assume customs is my only obstacle, or do I have to clear security again for some reason? Never been to YYC.
It's enough time but you will have to clear security again because domestic security requirements are not the same as required by the US. You will clear US Immigration in YYC.
defrosted likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Hopping on a Eurowings Discover flight from YYC to Frankfurt soon, and I noticed that they provide access to the Aspire Lounge. Given the current setup at YYC which is better? Aspire Lounge or the MLL?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WannabeSE
Hopping on a Eurowings Discover flight from YYC to Frankfurt soon, and I noticed that they provide access to the Aspire Lounge. Given the current setup at YYC which is better? Aspire Lounge or the MLL?
Neither lounge is anything spectacular. The Aspire lounge will be much closer to the gate for your flight, as well as 4Y's check-in area, if you need to stop in there.

It's likely moot though, since 4Y is not in *A and you're therefore not entitled to access the MLL.

If you have time to kill and Priority Pass, the WestJet lounge is the best lounge at YYC. If not, just go to the Aspire lounge. Also be forewarned that depending on WS's schedule that day, the lounge could be full and PP might not get you in; a friend and I took the 4Y flight a few weeks back and, due to WS having several TATL departures going out around the same time, PP holders were being turned away.
WannabeSE likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I flew from YYZ to YYC last night, arriving at gate D76. If I have no luggage, is there a way to exit into the new terminal, like an international or US arrival would? Following the exit signs took me all the way back to the C gates exit by the MLL.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
I flew from YYZ to YYC last night, arriving at gate D76. If I have no luggage, is there a way to exit into the new terminal, like an international or US arrival would? Following the exit signs took me all the way back to the C gates exit by the MLL.
Yup. You walked right past the small door to exit out to the D/E check-in area. If you're walking from D to C, it's right near the corner where you would turn left in the old switch gates. Given their stupid one-way hallways, it's easy to miss.

Should be about where I've marked in yellow on his map:

King Chung Huang likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (through United MileagePlus), DragonPass (through HSBC Jade)
Has anybody attempted to use the Aspire Lounge (international side) upon arrival from a domestic flight at YYC? I've search a bit here and on the DragonPass/Aspire Lounge websites and came up empty handed. I have Star Alliance Gold, but it's through United (not Air Canada) so it looks like the MLL upon arrival for me is out. Was hoping to find a place to work for 2-3 hours on Tuesday morning upon arrival back in YYC from YYJ.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:29 pm

YVR to London via YYC - how does security work?

Hello! I'm flying WS from YVR to London Gatwick, changing at YYC. We took the same itinerary here and went through customs/passport check at YYC for the domestic flight to YVR - is it the same returning even though our final destination on the booked flight is international? We didn't have to go through baggage screening/collection when changing to the Vancouver flight if that helps.

We only have a short time to change at Calgary - about 1hr 45 - and I also need to pick up some alcohol for a friend that I was hoping to get at Duty Free, so I'm trying to work out the times and practicalities. Sorry if this is a daft question but I've only ever transited international to international before - and hand luggage was screened when transferring at SVO with anything over 100ml getting confiscated, duty free or not....!)
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
There is no passport/customs leaving Canada for the UK.

You check in at YVR and see your luggage when you arrive in London. In Calgary you have plenty of time for that connection.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
There is no passport/customs leaving Canada for the UK.
Also, to be clear, no need to go through security again.
Originally Posted by JiveBunny
I also need to pick up some alcohol for a friend that I was hoping to get at Duty Free, so I'm trying to work out the times and practicalities.
There's a duty free store in the D area right after security, but as long as your inbound is reasonably on time, it's worth a walk down to the C pier where there's a liquor store with far better selection and, I presume, better pricing (the pricing there is usually a couple bucks more per item than a typical price at a liquor store out in the city).
yyznomad likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:19 am

For a route like AMS-YYC-SEA (International to US) and LHR-YYC-YVR (International to domestic), would I have to grab my checked bags and re-check them for the 2nd leg? I recall Vancouver's airport made me do this so wondering if Calgary is the same.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oreopie
For a route like AMS-YYC-SEA (International to US) and LHR-YYC-YVR (International to domestic), would I have to grab my checked bags and re-check them for the 2nd leg? I recall Vancouver's airport made me do this so wondering if Calgary is the same.
Provided you've purchased them on one ticket, your bags should be transferred through without you needing to pick them up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.