Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Background

Before COVID, flights were distributed as follows:
  • A: WestJet domestic flights
  • B: shared between WestJet, Air Canada, and others, domestic flights
  • C: Air Canada domestic flights
  • D: international flights (excluding US)
  • E: transborder (“TB”, i.e. to the US) flights

During the early days of COVID, the airport made the decision to consolidate operations in the eastern/southern area of the airport. The A pier was closed. WestJet flights were moved to the B pier and C pier. The segregated international area in D was eliminated.

There are many references below to piers and gate numbers. Please note that most YYC gate maps that you will find online are out of date. Many of the prominent Google results still reflect the numbering system from before the new international pier was built, and YYC’s own interactive map has not been updated to reflect any of the COVID-related changes discussed in this thread, because the airport authority is useless and incompetent. For those not familiar with the airport, this is the most useful map the original author of this wiki has found.

Current Situation - Gate Allocation

Although operations are getting back towards normal, the airport authority appears to be sticking with some of its moronic decisions taken during COVID.

The A gates are in somewhat limited use, with most domestic flights going from the B, C, and D piers. Domestic flights can now depart from anywhere between A11 and D97. There appears to be little in the way of logic as to where each airline is operating at any time.

International flights still depart exclusively from D gates.

Transborder flights continue to depart exclusively from the E gates. However, gates 84 and higher are no longer used exclusively for transborder flights. Those gates may be used for domestic, international, or US flights.

Construction is under way on the ramp between the B and C piers, limiting use of certain gates.

Gate Allocation & Layout - Impact on Passengers

YYC is an extremely poorly designed airport, especially the new international wing that was opened several years ago, and is not a great airport to fly through at the best of times. However, many design flaws are compounded by the current situation.

The current dispersal of flights around the airport frequently requires long walks. Approximate distances from the C security checkpoint to:
  • D70 (base of D pier) 300m
  • D76 (south end of D pier) 500m
  • D80 500m
  • D97 (east end of D pier) 800m
  • WS lounge (base of B pier) 150m
  • B39 (end of B pier) 350m
  • A20 (end of A pier) 600m

There are moving walkways that cover part of the distance from the base of the C pier to the bases of the B and D piers, and from the base of the B pier to the base of the A pier, but a fair amount of walking is still required as the walkways only cover a portion of the distance, and there are no moving walkways within the piers themselves.

There are several elevation changes that may be unpleasant for those with mobility issues, including an uphill ramp moving from the C pier to the D pier (just before gate 70), and a long uphill ramp (about 2 stories of vertical movement) moving from the area around gates 80-83 to 84+ (obviously these ramps are downhill in the opposing directions). Many of the ramps around YYC lack customary handrails and flat rest areas as the airport was/is exempt from building codes.

LINK Shuttle

Unlike most major airports that have some sort of train system to shuttle passengers around the airport, YYC relies on oversized golf carts, which the airport authority refers to as the LINK shuttle (some in the AC forum derogatorily refer to these as "meep meeps" since they look like something out of a cartoon).

Also note that the shuttle only runs to the start of the D pier, before gate 70. Therefore up to ~500m of walking could be required to reach one's gate.

Current Situation - Check-In

AC and WS domestic check-in are at their usual locations at C and A respectively.

Flair and Air North are at door 8 (next to AC, between B and C).

Flights to the US (all airlines) - check-in desks in usual locations at E.

International flights are at the D area, including AC and WS

Current Situation - Security

Hours for checkpoints can be found here.

Priority security:
  • A checkpoint: ???
  • B checkpoint: 1 line for Verified Traveller + families
  • C, D, and E checkpoints: 1 line for Verified Traveller, 1 line for families + airline priority (business class, status, etc)

At YYC, only the Verified Traveller lane at the C checkpoint offers expedited screening. The other VT lanes simply get one to the front of the line quicker.

Those looking to avoid body scanners may wish to use the B checkpoint, where there are none.

Connections

As a result of the issues described above, connecting through YYC can be a nightmare at the moment. Some domestic connections require moving from a gate at the end of the A pier to the east end of the D pier, e.g. A20 to D95, which involves around 1.5 km of distance. Many connections will require lengthy walks. Please plan accordingly.

Sterile transit (i.e. International to International, or ITI, connections without clearing Canadian immigration/customs) is not available, since there is no longer a segregated international departures area. It is unknown when, if ever, this will return. All connections therefore require entering Canada.

ITD OSS, a.k.a. One-Stop Security, which allows passengers to connect from an international flight to a domestic one without re-clearing security, is available. Passengers must be travelling on a single ticket and should be eligible if they are coming from the US or Europe. From Mexico or the Caribbean, it’s less clear. Note that OSS requires both an eligible origin and eligible airline combination - WS to WS and AC to AC are fine. KL to WS is eligible. But KL to AC, for instance, is not eligible.

Connecting to the US always requires re-clearing security at the E gates, regardless of where you're coming from. US security is located before the CBP area.

When Will Things Get Better?

Probably never, given the incompetence of the airport authority.

Despite the A gates in use, there doesn't actually appear to be any immediate desire to eliminate the use of the D gates for domestic flights. On November 1, 2021, the useless airport authority actually published a video highlighting the use of the D gates for domestic flights, and modifications to the international terminal to create a specific exit pathway for domestic passengers back to the A, B, C gates, among other changes.

Lounges

The following lounges exist at YYC. You should consult your airline for further details on access, but a rough summary follows:
  • Accessible to customers on domestic or international flights:
    • Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge: base of C pier
    • WestJet Elevation lounge: base of B pier
    • Aspire (formerly international) lounge: D gates, entrance near D80
  • Accessible to customers on transborder flights ONLY:
    • Aspire TB lounge: E gates, do a 180 to the left after coming out of duty-free

Customers connecting from a domestic flight to a transborder one are physically able to access one of the domestic/international lounges, but beware that getting to your flight requires re-clearing security and going through US customs. TB passengers originating at YYC may be able to access the domestic/international area before their flight, but are at the whim of CATSA. Before COVID, this was generally not a problem, but since COVID, CATSA may have adopted a different policy. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Flying through YYC (security, connections, customs, etc) Sep 2021 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Yes, definitely wearing extra layers for arrival. Hopefully, we won't be too long getting through border control etc., pick up our rental car (Avis) and onwards to Canmore! From a 21:45 arrival, I think we'll be doing pretty well if we get there before midnight!
I think you'll be fine, even with an hour delay

The highway is safe, well-maintained and if a bit snowy but sufficiently cold, the snow just blows right off the road, it's quite the sight. A risk of a winter storm could slow things down, so weather conditions are something you'd like to monitor, with a tool like this one https://roadreports.ama.ab.ca/ or Alberta 511

(I hope you're at least considering to do some highway driving when there's daylight, at least! to enjoy the views!)
Old Dec 16, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by asovse1
I think you'll be fine, even with an hour delay

The highway is safe, well-maintained and if a bit snowy but sufficiently cold, the snow just blows right off the road, it's quite the sight. A risk of a winter storm could slow things down, so weather conditions are something you'd like to monitor, with a tool like this one https://roadreports.ama.ab.ca/ or Alberta 511

(I hope you're at least considering to do some highway driving when there's daylight, at least! to enjoy the views!)
That is excellent, thank you. As regards daylight, yes, definitely along Icefield Parkway. I’m not sure if we will make it to Jasper but, we plan Lake Louise and the overlook at Bow Lake looks impressive.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Hoping someone can answer this, not sure if its a YYC specific question or a CTA question.

I'll have a 9 hour layover in YYC due to a few one-way flights booked on separate itineraries, but it will require me to exit the secured area, grab my luggage, then re-check back in with the second itinerary. I have a friend in YYC that wants to meet up, but can only meet up in the evening (a few hours before my flight), but I also want to use the MLL as part of my J ticket during the layover.

Will there be any problems if I check-in and go through security with the new boarding pass, access the MLL, then leave the secured area back to departures area to meet my friend for an hour, before going through the same security again to make my way towards the gate? Not sure what the rules are about a boarding pass that already passed through security once, and is passing through again.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:57 pm

Programs: hahaha
You mention MLL so I'm assuming you're departing on a domestic/international ticket.

Also assuming that you are checking your bag with a major airline whose check-in counters are open all day-long after arriving in YYC. You mention MLL so it's gotta be AC. yeah, they're open all day

So you can easily go in and out of the domestic/international area (A thru D gates).

The boarding pass rules are that it can't be scanned at security screening in too quickly of succession, but I've tested those limits and "quick" is more like 5-10 minutes between scans before failing on the second scan. On the failed attempt, they just ask for your ID, you don't even need to explain why you went thru twice

I do this all the time (after standing by on an earlier YEG-YYC flight to maximize the YYC layover) for the same reason you do (to see friends!) good luck! heck, if you're near the MLL when you land, grab a drink or three while you wait for on the way to get to bags

fysloc
fysloc likes this.

Last edited by asovse1; Jan 13, 2023 at 9:04 pm
Old May 22, 2023, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
I connected through YYC yesterday and thought I would provide a brief report on the experience, which went much better than I expected.
  • We arrived on a Sunday morning around 11:15. Our flight from YEG landed at one of the farthest A gates, and our next flight to ORD left from E88. The connection process was complicated in that there were a lot of steps, but it moved relatively quickly. There were four of us, and we moved a bit more slowly than I would have on my own, but the entire process gate to gate took about 45 minutes. That included several of being being delayed for extra screening of our carry-on baggage, and two of us having to wait about 5 minutes for checked luggage to clear customs.
  • The Air Link service worked great for us. We got lucky in that it pulled up just as we reached the pickup point at the A concourse and we got the last seats on the 10-person cart. Once I saw the distance we traversed, I was glad we had not opted to walk. (It's certainly walkable, but it's long enough that unless you have lots of time or have been there before, I could imagine it being a bit stressful. Plus, we still had a decently long walk after getting dropped off. ) I note that because the 10 people waiting at the A concourse were all going to D/E, passengers who were waiting at the B and C stops were required to wait for the next cart. I'm guessing this may be a somewhat frequent occurrence, so perhaps Air Link works most reliably for folks landing at the A concourse.
  • The security screening for the D/E gates was not very crowded at that time of day, and there was virtually no line at all in the US Customs section.
  • Despite the lack of crowds, the initially security screeners at the D/E concourses were notably unpleasant, continuously yelling at people rather than providing actual useful guidance. The guy standing behind the bins saw my square quart-sized bag of toiletries, and required me to empty it and repack the contents into the rectangular-shaped liter-sized bag provided by CTA. While the volume of the two bags is virtually the same, due to the different shapes not all of my assorted bottles fit inside the new bag. I was nonetheless able to place it in the bin so as to disguise that fact, and it passed muster with the person who was doing the actual screening. I wasted 5-10 minutes on this stupid exercise, much to the chagrin of the other CTA agent who was trying to move people quickly through the line. My laptop was eventually shunted aside for secondary screening, and the person in charge of that process was much more pleasant, but inspected it with a degree of thoroughness that suggested this was a foreign object she had never previously seen.
  • By contrast, the subsequent process for "clearing" our checked luggage through customs was remakably fast and efficient, in addition to being friendly. The agent scans your boarding pass and if your luggage has not yet cleared, you are asked to be seated in a small comfortable waiting area with chairs. Once your luggage is cleared your name pops up on a television monitor alerting you that you can now get your boarding pass re-scanned and continue on to your gate. As noted above, 2 out of our group of 4 did not initially clear, but were cleared within 5 more minutes.
Again, this took place on a Sunday morning in mid-May, when the airport was relatively empty. YMMV.
TravellingChris likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Delta Platinum, Alaska 75K
Connecting on separate tickets (U.S. to YYC to LHR)

I'm flying into YYC from SEA, and I have a separate ticket flying YYC to LHR deparing at 20:35.

If I booked my SEA to YYC flight with a scheduled landing at 18:14. Is that ~2H20Min enough time to clear through everything at YYC? No checked bags just hand luggage.

Thanks! Appreciate the information. Trying to avoid landing at 14:44.
Old May 24, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by csahsu
I'm flying into YYC from SEA, and I have a separate ticket flying YYC to LHR deparing at 20:35.

If I booked my SEA to YYC flight with a scheduled landing at 18:14. Is that ~2H20Min enough time to clear through everything at YYC? No checked bags just hand luggage.

Thanks! Appreciate the information. Trying to avoid landing at 14:44.
Is this on the same WS ticket? Do you have Nexus? If so, it will be a breeze. If not, it will depend how long the CBSA line is. You will need to clear immigration as the "international" terminal is not segregated from domestic terminal and you will be able to walk out of the airport without additional checks.
Old May 24, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Delta Platinum, Alaska 75K
Separate ticket. Flying in on AS. And no Nexus so definitely going to wait in however long the regular border line is. Would 2 hours and 20 minutes be enough time? Appreciate the help.
Old May 25, 2023, 5:46 am

Westjet rebooked us on our YOW-LAS flight from transiting in YYZ to now YYC. We arrive at 0905 on a Wednesday morning in October and our connection leaves at 1030. Just wondering how much of a rush it would be to get through US customs and to our gate.
Carryon only.
Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Connection flights in YYC on Westjet

Hi all,

I have someone who flying from CDG-YYC-LAS on Westjet. Do they have go through US Pre-clearance in YYC? What about checked bags? They will be automatically to the final destination, am I right? They have connection flights and do still have enough time for next flights to LAS?

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi all,

I have someone who flying from CDG-YYC-LAS on Westjet. Do they have go through US Pre-clearance in YYC? What about checked bags? They will be automatically to the final destination, am I right? They have connection flights and do still have enough time for next flights to LAS?

Any suggestions?
They'll have to go through a rudimentary CBSA (Canadian border control) screening then clear US specific security and US CBP Preclearance in YYC. Checked bags will be transferred automatically.

How much time is their connection? 90 minutes or more seems comfortable for this connection.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
They'll have to go through a rudimentary CBSA (Canadian border control) screening then clear US specific security and US CBP Preclearance in YYC. Checked bags will be transferred automatically.

How much time is their connection? 90 minutes or more seems comfortable for this connection.
Thank you. They don’t have go through Canadian immigration clearance. They are going back to LAS. Can they avoid Canadian immigration? Go straight to US Preclearance and then go to security checkpoint again.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 7:10 pm

Thank you. They don’t have go through Canadian immigration clearance. They are going back to LAS. Can they avoid Canadian immigration? Go straight to US Preclearance and then go to security checkpoint again.
Someone else can correct me, but as I remember (which was based on information given to me second hand and observation of how the terminal is laid out) is that you can not avoid Canadian immigration but rather go through a special line for US transfer passengers where the clearance is basic and then to Preclearance security. Since you are essentially going landside and entering Canada before the pre clearance security checkpoint.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone else can correct me, but as I remember (which was based on information given to me second hand and observation of how the terminal is laid out) is that you can not avoid Canadian immigration but rather go through a special line for US transfer passengers where the clearance is basic and then to Preclearance security. Since you are essentially going landside and entering Canada before the pre clearance security checkpoint.
Thank you so much! I appreciate your help. I will have let her know that she can go through a special line for US transfer passengers. No need to reclaim the bags. Her bags will be transfer automatically to the final destination.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 12:34 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The clearance isn't basic. There's no such thing as sterile international transit at YYC anymore. Whether one takes the connections path or the arrivals path, it's full CBSA procedures, because unlike real airports like YYZ, YVR, and YUL, YYC has no dedicated path to move from an international flight to TB security.

I'm not even sure whether someone connecting to a TB flight is eligible to use the connections path. When I last came in on an international (non-TB) flight on WS a few months back, only ITD (international-to-domestic) OSS pax were allowed that way, and there's really no advantage to it for someone going to the US, because they need to re-clear security anyway.

Go straight to US Preclearance and then go to security checkpoint again.
Security is before US CBP at YYC now, as it is at all Canadian pre-clearance locations.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help. I will have let her know that she can go through a special line for US transfer passengers. No need to reclaim the bags. Her bags will be transfer automatically to the final destination.
To be 100% clear, there is no special line for US passengers. And I don't know where you're getting that she doesn't have to reclaim bags. Last time I flew back from an international flight on WS, the announcement was that US-bound pax had to pick up their bags and re-check them after clearing customs, although this was July of last year and there was still some COVID weirdness going on, so that may have changed, but it may not have.
N830MH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.