Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Background

Before COVID, flights were distributed as follows:
  • A: WestJet domestic flights
  • B: shared between WestJet, Air Canada, and others, domestic flights
  • C: Air Canada domestic flights
  • D: international flights (excluding US)
  • E: transborder (“TB”, i.e. to the US) flights

During the early days of COVID, the airport made the decision to consolidate operations in the eastern/southern area of the airport. The A pier was closed. WestJet flights were moved to the B pier and C pier. The segregated international area in D was eliminated.

There are many references below to piers and gate numbers. Please note that most YYC gate maps that you will find online are out of date. Many of the prominent Google results still reflect the numbering system from before the new international pier was built, and YYC’s own interactive map has not been updated to reflect any of the COVID-related changes discussed in this thread, because the airport authority is useless and incompetent. For those not familiar with the airport, this is the most useful map the original author of this wiki has found.

Current Situation - Gate Allocation

Although operations are getting back towards normal, the airport authority appears to be sticking with some of its moronic decisions taken during COVID.

The A gates are in somewhat limited use, with most domestic flights going from the B, C, and D piers. Domestic flights can now depart from anywhere between A11 and D97. There appears to be little in the way of logic as to where each airline is operating at any time.

International flights still depart exclusively from D gates.

Transborder flights continue to depart exclusively from the E gates. However, gates 84 and higher are no longer used exclusively for transborder flights. Those gates may be used for domestic, international, or US flights.

Construction is under way on the ramp between the B and C piers, limiting use of certain gates.

Gate Allocation & Layout - Impact on Passengers

YYC is an extremely poorly designed airport, especially the new international wing that was opened several years ago, and is not a great airport to fly through at the best of times. However, many design flaws are compounded by the current situation.

The current dispersal of flights around the airport frequently requires long walks. Approximate distances from the C security checkpoint to:
  • D70 (base of D pier) 300m
  • D76 (south end of D pier) 500m
  • D80 500m
  • D97 (east end of D pier) 800m
  • WS lounge (base of B pier) 150m
  • B39 (end of B pier) 350m
  • A20 (end of A pier) 600m

There are moving walkways that cover part of the distance from the base of the C pier to the bases of the B and D piers, and from the base of the B pier to the base of the A pier, but a fair amount of walking is still required as the walkways only cover a portion of the distance, and there are no moving walkways within the piers themselves.

There are several elevation changes that may be unpleasant for those with mobility issues, including an uphill ramp moving from the C pier to the D pier (just before gate 70), and a long uphill ramp (about 2 stories of vertical movement) moving from the area around gates 80-83 to 84+ (obviously these ramps are downhill in the opposing directions). Many of the ramps around YYC lack customary handrails and flat rest areas as the airport was/is exempt from building codes.

LINK Shuttle

Unlike most major airports that have some sort of train system to shuttle passengers around the airport, YYC relies on oversized golf carts, which the airport authority refers to as the LINK shuttle (some in the AC forum derogatorily refer to these as "meep meeps" since they look like something out of a cartoon).

Also note that the shuttle only runs to the start of the D pier, before gate 70. Therefore up to ~500m of walking could be required to reach one's gate.

Current Situation - Check-In

AC and WS domestic check-in are at their usual locations at C and A respectively.

Flair and Air North are at door 8 (next to AC, between B and C).

Flights to the US (all airlines) - check-in desks in usual locations at E.

International flights are at the D area, including AC and WS

Current Situation - Security

Hours for checkpoints can be found here.

Priority security:
  • A checkpoint: ???
  • B checkpoint: 1 line for Verified Traveller + families
  • C, D, and E checkpoints: 1 line for Verified Traveller, 1 line for families + airline priority (business class, status, etc)

At YYC, only the Verified Traveller lane at the C checkpoint offers expedited screening. The other VT lanes simply get one to the front of the line quicker.

Those looking to avoid body scanners may wish to use the B checkpoint, where there are none.

Connections

As a result of the issues described above, connecting through YYC can be a nightmare at the moment. Some domestic connections require moving from a gate at the end of the A pier to the east end of the D pier, e.g. A20 to D95, which involves around 1.5 km of distance. Many connections will require lengthy walks. Please plan accordingly.

Sterile transit (i.e. International to International, or ITI, connections without clearing Canadian immigration/customs) is not available, since there is no longer a segregated international departures area. It is unknown when, if ever, this will return. All connections therefore require entering Canada.

ITD OSS, a.k.a. One-Stop Security, which allows passengers to connect from an international flight to a domestic one without re-clearing security, is available. Passengers must be travelling on a single ticket and should be eligible if they are coming from the US or Europe. From Mexico or the Caribbean, it’s less clear. Note that OSS requires both an eligible origin and eligible airline combination - WS to WS and AC to AC are fine. KL to WS is eligible. But KL to AC, for instance, is not eligible.

Connecting to the US always requires re-clearing security at the E gates, regardless of where you're coming from. US security is located before the CBP area.

When Will Things Get Better?

Probably never, given the incompetence of the airport authority.

Despite the A gates in use, there doesn't actually appear to be any immediate desire to eliminate the use of the D gates for domestic flights. On November 1, 2021, the useless airport authority actually published a video highlighting the use of the D gates for domestic flights, and modifications to the international terminal to create a specific exit pathway for domestic passengers back to the A, B, C gates, among other changes.

Lounges

The following lounges exist at YYC. You should consult your airline for further details on access, but a rough summary follows:
  • Accessible to customers on domestic or international flights:
    • Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge: base of C pier
    • WestJet Elevation lounge: base of B pier
    • Aspire (formerly international) lounge: D gates, entrance near D80
  • Accessible to customers on transborder flights ONLY:
    • Aspire TB lounge: E gates, do a 180 to the left after coming out of duty-free

Customers connecting from a domestic flight to a transborder one are physically able to access one of the domestic/international lounges, but beware that getting to your flight requires re-clearing security and going through US customs. TB passengers originating at YYC may be able to access the domestic/international area before their flight, but are at the whim of CATSA. Before COVID, this was generally not a problem, but since COVID, CATSA may have adopted a different policy. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Flying through YYC (security, connections, customs, etc) Sep 2021 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:11 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
ITD OSS (International to Domestic One-Stop Security, i.e. connecting from an international to domestic flight without needing to go through security again) is back.

Most flights coming in to YYC should be eligible - US, Europe. Looks like hit or miss on flights from LatAm.
​​​​​​
Will add some more details to the wiki later.

Note that this is NOT sterile transit for ITI (international to international) connections - because there is no segregated international departures area, any connection at YYC requires entering Canada and everything that entails.
WesternCDN likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Zero line at the C checkpoint around 9AM today.

In general, I would say C is the place to be. It seems to consistently be the best staffed and usually has both NEXUS and priority line. B in theory has a NEXUS line, but whether they're using it at any given moment is variable. B also seems to be very FOTSG-heavy, meaning you're more likely to get stuck behind someone who doesn't know what they're doing. But it has also been okay - not the cluster that we're seeing at YYZ/YVR.

I've not done the A or D checkpoints in ages though.
Has anybody been though domestic security in the early morning hours recently? I'm on AC 130 from YYC-YYZ on the 6 am flight in a few days and wondering how early I need to be there. When I used to travel this route pre-COVID on a regular basis being at the airport 45-60 mins early was a reasonable amount of time but not sure what things are like these days. I'll have access to Nexus and/or priority lines if it makes a difference.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:50 pm

Clear/TSA at YYC

I have an early transborder flight from YYC. On my airline trip page, it say" Save time at security with YYC RESERVE powered by CLEAR* for free. If you plan to go through security between 4:15am-12:00pm, you can secure your spot today. *Limited availability. Open to travelers who don’t already have CLEAR or TSA PreCheck®."

I do have both CLEAR and TSA Pre-check. Are there dedicated Lanes at YYC for CLEAR, GE and/or TSA Pre-check? If not, should I sign up this YYC reserve to save time? Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:47 pm

I am here now connecting from Winnipeg to SFO. There was no TSA Pre, no Clear, and a single security line for a passengers. Was not too bad but primarily because there weren't a lot of passengers, as the line moved slowly. There was Global Entry And Nexus line at US customs after security.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Daniel Hsieh
I am here now connecting from Winnipeg to SFO. There was no TSA Pre, no Clear, and a single security line for a passengers. Was not too bad but primarily because there weren't a lot of passengers, as the line moved slowly. There was Global Entry And Nexus line at US customs after security.
Seems you fall outside the hours listed so perhaps those lines are closed when the volume is low.

Also as you are connecting, is it a separate security clearance point for connection passengers?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Daniel Hsieh
​​​​​​​

TSA Pre and Clear are both U.S. programs. YYC is an airport in Canada.

Instead, in Canada, NEXUS lanes give front-of-line access at security for members. It’s similar to Pre, but the Canadian version is only an express lane with identical screening requirements to all other passengers.

Those NEXUS express lanes are not typically at any separate screening checkpoints that are for *connecting* passengers only. That’s the case in YYC with the screening checkpoint dedicated for Canada>US connection passengers (when it’s operating).

Last edited by FlyerJ; Aug 10, 2022 at 9:11 am
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

After Reading this my FRA - YYC - PHX flight doesn't look good. All Air Canada flights in Business, HLO, Global Entry, fast walker,.... but 1h 15 minutes seem to be way too tight to make the flight YYC-PHX flight
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by blitzen
Hi,

After Reading this my FRA - YYC - PHX flight doesn't look good. All Air Canada flights in Business, HLO, Global Entry, fast walker,.... but 1h 15 minutes seem to be way too tight to make the flight YYC-PHX flight
And even if you do make it how about your checked luggage making it?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Hi,

No, that sounds like plenty of time.
arf04, zrh2yvr and blitzen like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
And even if you do make it how about your checked luggage making it?
Hand luggage only

No, that sounds like plenty of time.
Do they have a clean area (aka no security needed) and isn’t the US immigration done in YYC - Global entry makes that quick but US immigration sometimes just adds a mile to the connection

Last edited by blitzen; Aug 29, 2022 at 7:47 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts from same member.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Do they have a clean area (aka no security needed)
No, because the US insists in forcing everyone to take off their shoes and go through their own security process. YYC is the same as everywhere else.

But you'll have priority security and it won't take more than a few minutes.

and isn’t the US immigration done in YYZ - Global entry makes that quick but US immigration sometimes just adds a mile to the connection
With GE, you'll be through very quickly.

Your flight from FRA will come in at the D gates, so the walk won't be very long.
blitzen likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:34 pm

is there any NEXUS security line (no need to remove laptop, shoes, etc) at YYC airport currently? at either domestic departure or transborder departure to US?

when i flew out of YYC some time ago, it did not exist.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnomey
is there any NEXUS security line (no need to remove laptop, shoes, etc) at YYC airport currently? at either domestic departure or transborder departure to US?
Nope, never has been. NEXUS lane gets you to the front of the line quicker, that's it.

But there's no need to take your shoes off at any domestic security checkpoint in Canada, because only the US is dumb enough to impose that requirement.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:00 am

Nope, never has been. NEXUS lane gets you to the front of the line quicker, that's it.

But there's no need to take your shoes off at any domestic security checkpoint in Canada, because only the US is dumb enough to impose that requirement.
i see. it seems like NEXUS has less stringent checking procedure at some Canada airports but not all.

oh great. i think i had to remove shoes at YYC a few yrs ago. agree this dumb policy should go 6 feet under long ago. still stuck in US and some central america countries due to puppet strings and inertia.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnomey
i see. it seems like NEXUS has less stringent checking procedure at some Canada airports but not all.
Only a couple places do. YVR and YYZ TB may be the only ones.

oh great. i think i had to remove shoes at YYC a few yrs ago. agree this dumb policy should go 6 feet under long ago. still stuck in US and some central america countries due to puppet strings and inertia.
If you were flying non-stop to the US, you would have had to take off your shoes. If you were flying domestically, you would have only had to take them off if they were very large boots or set off the metal detector the first time through, that kind of thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.