Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:23 pm

Just don't go to a hotel, this is all a farce anyway. Go home and quarantine. They're not forcing anyone and the truth is they can't. If they give you a ticket fight it and it will probably get thrown out. As has been mentioned before this is all for optics.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jlisi984
I don't see how the gov't could check at arrival that you aren't booked on the "GAA" rate (isolation rate)
I understood travelers can upload the confirmation on the ArriveCAN app prior to arrival or if having no hotel reservation be assisted to book one by PHAC staff to make one upon arrival so wouldn't a regular rate-of-the-day be spotted? I also wonder whether the hotel is required to do an audit and report any irregularities.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by PetrozzaFam
Just don't go to a hotel, this is all a farce anyway. Go home and quarantine. They're not forcing anyone and the truth is they can't. If they give you a ticket fight it and it will probably get thrown out. As has been mentioned before this is all for optics.
100% agreed! Even paying the fine is cheaper than the ripoff rate.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
100% agreed! Even paying the fine is cheaper than the ripoff rate.
Maybe not.

Federal public health agency 'aware of the situation'

The Public Health Agency of Canada said Wednesday that it was "aware of the situation" and looking into allegations of people skipping hotel quarantine.

"Travellers are legally obligated to follow the instructions of a screening officer or quarantine officer through the 14-day period, whether in regards to testing, transit to locations, their mandatory hotel stopover or during quarantine at home or other suitable location," it said.

"If they do not follow the instructions, there are penalties, including a maximum fine of up to $750,000 or imprisonment for six months."
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cbc.ca
"If they do not follow the instructions, there are penalties, including a maximum fine of up to $750,000 or imprisonment for six months."
The officer stressed the $750K fine, but did not mention imprisonment after reviewing my Covid test result and listening to my isolation plan (the day before hotel requirement kicked in).

Of course no one knows if they will come after those who skip the hotel and just get the $880 fine mentioned upthread or throw the book at them. "Are you feeling lucky," as Clint Eastwood said in one of his more memorable lines in a movie.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
The officer stressed the $750K fine, but did not mention imprisonment after reviewing my Covid test result and listening to my isolation plan (the day before hotel requirement kicked in).

Of course no one knows if they will come after those who skip the hotel and just get the $880 fine mentioned upthread or throw the book at them. "Are you feeling lucky," as Clint Eastwood said in one of his more memorable lines in a movie.
The right answer is to stay at the hotel at a regular tourist rate for 1-2 nights.
EmailKid, smes and testycal like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
I would gladly take the fine but not being able to fly into Vancouver directly rather via YYZ, makes it more difficult to appear in court to fight the Ontario ticket. Any suggestions in that regard? Fly through the US (I can) into YVR, take the ticket, and challenge it locally in due course in the courts on my home field so to say.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by testycal
I would gladly take the fine but not being able to fly into Vancouver directly rather via YYZ, makes it more difficult to appear in court to fight the Ontario ticket. Any suggestions in that regard? Fly through the US (I can) into YVR, take the ticket, and challenge it locally in due course in the courts on my home field so to say.
If you can fly to the US, just fly to SEA and enter Canada by land. Avoid all those hassles.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by testycal
Why can you not fly directly to YVR? I did from DEN on UA, and had the whole practically empty MLL to myself (according to staff the morning flight bank had the lounge fairly full) and a couple of other travelers for four hours (thank you lifetime Gold and Int'l travel on *A) waiting for my connecting flight. And I see flights back to US via YVR as well.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

As with many crimes, the approach is not to pursue 100% of the violators, but to select a few -- perhaps randomly -- and pursue those cases.

Those who scoff at enforcement are likely to be wrong and the real question is whether any of them are willing to run the risk of being "that person" who winds up on a 6-experience.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by tcook052
So you paid the full non-refundable 3-night stay in advance as required and were released after 24-hours? No refund for the unused nights?
Correct - I did use 2 nights - and it is possible people may use 3 (say - 0700 arrival Monday - depart 2200 tuesday - that technically is 3 . . ). I did really have one completely unused night. I did not ask for a refund - I knew it would not come back - but I do plan to write a nice letter to the hotel (which I regularly stay at) basically asking perhaps for a favor on a future stay (i.e. - maybe a comp night later).

It's complicated for these hotels - and the program is very poorly run. I literally could have left at any time.

Now that I have been through the whole process - I actually think it would be completely easy to get out of this without paying for a hotel - and nobody would even know. Once this goes on for a while - I might post that. This is because - I took note of who asked for what - when it was asked - and what was checked (and what was never checked) . . and based on that - you could just go home - really. For me - as a visitor to Canada - and quarantining with "vulnerable people" - I just did not need any hassle !!!

I will update later on the Day 10 test as well as any visits from any type of officer.

I can see that the Day 10 test will be picked up by Purloator and sent back to Ontario to the same lab - I would expect this will make the time max 3 days for result - which is fine.
PetrozzaFam likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Why can you not fly directly to YVR? I did from DEN on UA, and had the whole practically empty MLL to myself (according to staff the morning flight bank had the lounge fairly full) and a couple of other travelers for four hours (thank you lifetime Gold and Int'l travel on *A) waiting for my connecting flight. And I see flights back to US via YVR as well.
I can once I make it to the US from international.

Checking land border as always and pricing on US based covid testing in the US..which can take from 24 to 72 hours posted.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Often1
As with many crimes, the approach is not to pursue 100% of the violators, but to select a few -- perhaps randomly -- and pursue those cases.

Those who scoff at enforcement are likely to be wrong and the real question is whether any of them are willing to run the risk of being "that person" who winds up on a 6-experience.
It probably won't be a 6 figure experience but a hefty four seems likely.

https://www.sootoday.com/city-police...ne-act-3447155
A Sudbury resident is facing a $3,000 fine for ignoring quarantine rules after travelling to the United States, Greater Sudbury Police said this morning.

GSPS said they were notified on Feb. 20 by a quarantine officer with the Public Health Agency of Canada that a Sudbury resident had breached the Quarantine Act by returning from the U.S. with outdated test results and then ignored rules about self-isolating.
Even if PHAC doesn't come after the question arises whether lying to the CBSA about your plans puts you on a list for future "attention" when you enter the country.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Might actually be fun to reroute to YVR and quarantine there on my way to YYZ.
LOL, if you have time on your hands, you may end up using all three days you paid for, even if the test results come back early!! The upper level rooms come with telescopes so that you can spy on the mountains from a distance!
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Looks like they added a bunch of hotels at YYZ. Anyone know if Hilton has a corporate code like Marriott?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.