Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I wonder if "A" is for travel to the US (A = America?) - to distinguish it from travel to other countries that now requires extra testing/quarantine?

Just a guess of course backed up by no data.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC 35K
It seems one of the bottlenecks is the registration for the testing service at YYZ. Is there a way to pre-register with them so that if you are randomly selected you don't need to fill out all the paperwork in the hall?

Which company does the testing at YYZ?

I will be returning Dec 27 from Barbados and need a smooth transit to a connecting flight.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2MM, bonvoy titanium lifetime, united silver
Originally Posted by JayArr
It seems one of the bottlenecks is the registration for the testing service at YYZ. Is there a way to pre-register with them so that if you are randomly selected you don't need to fill out all the paperwork in the hall?

I will be returning Dec 27 from Barbados and need a smooth transit to a connecting flight.

Pretty sure it’s still just switch in yyz although I read somewhere maybe dynacare too in the future .if you google switch health and then click on ASMO portal you can fill out the information and register so that when you land you just have to log into the portal.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:17 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by spartacus81
Without an OIC, can they even enforce the quarantine while waiting for the test result? It's currently within their power to randomly select everyone for a test, but not to quarantine unless you get a positive result first.
That's a very good point, as well as the one you raised earlier about random quarantine requirements.

This government has done many things that I personally feel go beyond what is legal or constitutional, but even they realize, I think, that you cannot select Canadians at random to quarantine or isolate. Laws must be applied uniformly, that's a fundamental principle.

So, until they have the ability to test every single passenger from countries other than the US (and what once Omicron spreads there?), they can't really impose a quarantine requirement. Or shouldn't be able to.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 4:43 am

Programs: Virgin, United, Aeroplan, Best Western (!)
Originally Posted by gadflyboy
Pretty sure it’s still just switch in yyz although I read somewhere maybe dynacare too in the future .if you google switch health and then click on ASMO portal you can fill out the information and register so that when you land you just have to log into the portal.
You can pre-register - or at least I think you can - although the form doesn't like non Canadian phone numbers, and isnt too keen on other countries post codes either. I'm hoping the hotel info will be ok and I can change it when I get an account set up. The helpful online chat lady said I should be able to!
Old Dec 10, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: AC SE
The place to begin is portal.switchhealth.ca. It has often proven helpful to have your account created in advance. The first question you see when you attempt to register or login is "Were you given a Switch Health RT-PCR Collection Kit upon entering Canada?" You can answer "no," then create your account. When you get to the border, login to your account, then in the menu tap "At Home Test Kit."
Old Dec 10, 2021, 5:53 am

Programs: Virgin, United, Aeroplan, Best Western (!)
Originally Posted by gadflyboy
Originally Posted by JayArr

I just tried to pre-register. Just in case this is a help for anyone else. You need to put a Canadian address in, not your home address. You can only put a Canadian phone number in to register. You then can't access your account to change anything until you have your ArriveCan traveller Id so no real point in doing any of this until a few days beforehand.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:04 am

You have to delete cookies and then open the page again. This will allow you to not pick "just landed" or whatever it is called and then you can adjust your account. But as others pointed out, it just works with a Canadian prefix and a Canadian address although you can select any other country.

According to Twitter you are supposed to select where you will be staying in Canada. Which makes the country picker even more useless.
gadflyboy and Amber2413 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
So they are not only imposing an hotel-jail quarantine for people coming from Africa (even if omicron is spreading everywhere in Europe and especially UK already), but it looks like they sometimes took 2 or 3 days to release the incarcerated travelers once they got a negative results...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sou...cron-1.6279085
jlisi984 and yyztozag like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:57 pm

Egypt

Originally Posted by shuckit
I'm interested in knowing how you make out. I have a trip planned to Egypt over the holidays and I'm thinking of cancelling due to the logistical nightmares and uncertainties of future rule changes. It's not clear why Canada put Egypt on the red list when other countries didn't.
Most likely Egypt is on the list because it is something of a transit hub. After reading the horror stories of quarantine on arrival in Canada, I decided to cancel my trip. Did the hotel thing in the summer and once was enough. Ironically one can get an inexpensive PCR test with QR coded results delivered to your phone in less than 16 hours in Cairo. I would have no problem if the test could be administered as efficiently as it is elsewhere. In Frankfurt you can get a PCR with results in as little as 30 minutes. Why it takes so long in Canada is beyond me.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
My father is driving to YYZ from Detroit then flying west jet to lgw. He will have the arrive can app form completed and PCR results. On the way back he will have a PCR test to get back into YYZ then drive back to Detroit. Am I reading correctly in addition he’ll need to take another PCR test upon arrival at YYZ and quarantine until results are in ? This is so confusing.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
My father is driving to YYZ from Detroit then flying west jet to lgw. He will have the arrive can app form completed and PCR results. On the way back he will have a PCR test to get back into YYZ then drive back to Detroit. Am I reading correctly in addition he’ll need to take another PCR test upon arrival at YYZ and quarantine until results are in ? This is so confusing.
I did something similar every month during covid. The rules are there to protect Cdns. Nothing ever stops him from exiting Canada at any time. Every OIC says this. Re covid tests he will need a pcr to enter Canada within 72 hours, a pcr or antigen to fly to LGW taken within one day, and another 72 hour pcr to reenter Canada. A test upon arrival at YYZ is random and as of now no quarantine is necessary coming from USA. Save all the hassle and just fly from DTW to LGA.
enviroian likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I did something similar every month during covid. The rules are there to protect Cdns. Nothing ever stops him from exiting Canada at any time. Every OIC says this. Re covid tests he will need a pcr to enter Canada within 72 hours, a pcr or antigen to fly to LGW taken within one day, and another 72 hour pcr to reenter Canada. A test upon arrival at YYZ is random and as of now no quarantine is necessary coming from USA. Save all the hassle and just fly from DTW to LGA.
I don’t know why he can’t use his PCR test to enter Canada (outbound) and use the same results to enter the UK the next morning? UK requires 2 day pre departure test, Canada 72 hours. Kill two birds with one stone?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I don’t know why he can’t use his PCR test to enter Canada (outbound) and use the same results to enter the UK the next morning? UK requires 2 day pre departure test, Canada 72 hours. Kill two birds with one stone?
Sorry. I read LGA not LGW. Too early am no glasses.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by w4qq4s
Any source for this?
This line applies:
"I can tell you but then I'll have to kill you."

There are many who has very reliable information and share it generously here. let's respect this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.