Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Finkface
If you are selected for random arrival testing, you can go to your hotel in Vancouver and you are not required to quarantine while awaiting the test result. If you do test positive, you must quarantine for 10 days.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...canada#arrival

If a fully vaccinated traveller or unvaccinated child under 12 years of age tests positive:
kind of what I feared. New rules great for Canadians returning home but for a foreign tourist, might be better to be kicked off the plane than to run into issues on arrival.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by schriste
kind of what I feared. New rules great for Canadians returning home but for a foreign tourist, might be better to be kicked off the plane than to run into issues on arrival.
If you are worried about a positive test, I would be less concerned about being randomly selected on arrival (not a huge chance you will be selected) and more worried about testing positive on the test you will need to take to fly back to the US, which is a mandatory US rule. You could drive back if you had someone with you who tested negative and could go out and rent a car, but you would not be allowed to board a plane.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Finkface
If you are worried about a positive test, I would be less concerned about being randomly selected on arrival (not a huge chance you will be selected) and more worried about testing positive on the test you will need to take to fly back to the US, which is a mandatory US rule. You could drive back if you had someone with you who tested negative and could go out and rent a car, but you would not be allowed to board a plane.
I thought I had solved that as my itinerary would be the Rocky Mountaineer to Jasper and Prestige Class on The Canadian to Toronto. Figured I could take the bus to Buffalo or NYC (or fly and use that as backup). But I do not want to have $10,000 worth of difficult to schedule train tickets blow up on me if I am “forced”? To quarantine in Vancouver.

I guess I could consider flying to SEA and taking the ferry to Victoria.

Last edited by schriste; Apr 15, 2022 at 5:49 pm
Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by schriste
I guess I could consider flying to SEA and taking the ferry to Victoria.
You could, just be aware that for now Clipper only sails Friday to Monday

Coho sails twice a day from Port Angeles, and last I checked, there is once a day Greyhound service from either Port Angeles or Seattle to Vancouver. Supposedly Amtrak via bus, but I have never been able to figure them out

Coho is a bit of a pain to get to sailing from Olympic Peninsula, but Clipper requires a forced overnight since it caters to PNW residents with an early morning departure. It's fun, and while I've never done it, Champagne service is available (used to be, don't know about the "new normal").
Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:40 pm

Any airline staff still insisting on pre-flight tests for flights to Canada?

Have a work trip about to happen. When booking it a few days ago it it seemed like some of the airline sites hadn't updated to reflect the April 1st policy change.

I was planning to take a rapid test anyway to avoid potentially having to butt heads and lose against a lesser informed gate agent, doing the same virtual visit for attestation that I will use to return to the US, but all the time slots in my window are gone.

Has anyone had issues with being asked for test proof even though the rules changed a couple weeks ago?

Flying through the US and into YVR on Delta.

Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Faded_Memories
Have a work trip about to happen. When booking it a few days ago it it seemed like some of the airline sites hadn't updated to reflect the April 1st policy change.

I was planning to take a rapid test anyway to avoid potentially having to butt heads and lose against a lesser informed gate agent, doing the same virtual visit for attestation that I will use to return to the US, but all the time slots in my window are gone.

Has anyone had issues with being asked for test proof even though the rules changed a couple weeks ago?

Flying through the US and into YVR on Delta.

Thanks.
I flew US to YYZ in early April on Delta. The gate agents knew no covid test was required. Bring a printout of the covid test elimination as of 4/1 just in case. Very few passengers will have one.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:02 am

And now another thing to make me nervous:

Delta offered/asked for some electronic verification but it says it can't confirm the QR code from ArriveCan. This is not helping my peace of mind for my departure tomorrow.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE

Delta offered/asked for some electronic verification but it says it can't confirm the QR code from ArriveCan. This is not helping my peace of mind for my departure tomorrow.
That isn’t unusual. They should be able to validate it at the airport.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:30 am

Again I flew Delta from USA>Canada in early April right after the rules changed. It was very easy. All they cared about was the vaccine card as any flight touching Canada passengers must be double vaxxed.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Apr 16, 2022 at 1:32 pm
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: Mileage plus
Hey! How random is « random testing on arrival »?

I just tested positive with an antigen test (yesterday). I will be flying to Mexi in 2 wks for a long week end.

i m afraid to test positive to a PCR in 3 weeks if I am tested upon arrival - I won’t be able to prove I had had covid just 3 wks before… because our government does not offer PCR test anymore.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax

I just tested positive with an antigen test (yesterday). I will be flying to Mexi in 2 wks for a long week end.

i m afraid to test positive to a PCR in 3 weeks if I am tested upon arrival - I won’t be able to prove I had had covid just 3 wks before… because our government does not offer PCR test anymore.
No one knows what percentage of people
are getting tested. I expect it’s probably 5% or less, but you just need to assess the risk. Or find a private testing place that will get you a positive PCR now.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
No one knows what percentage of people
are getting tested. I expect it’s probably 5% or less, but you just need to assess the risk. Or find a private testing place that will get you a positive PCR now.
get a Switch Health test delivered and do test at home. Their pricing for the rapid antigen tests is quite good. Quick delivery of tests if you pay extra. And you’ll have an official record while you are still symptomatic. To get an outside paid test they don’t want you if you are symptomatic.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by visitor
get a Switch Health test delivered and do test at home. Their pricing for the rapid antigen tests is quite good. Quick delivery of tests if you pay extra. And you’ll have an official record while you are still symptomatic. To get an outside paid test they don’t want you if you are symptomatic.
I’m pretty sure an antigen isn’t accepted as proof of positive result. But you could get their PCR version, I think.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I’m pretty sure an antigen isn’t accepted as proof of positive result. But you could get their PCR version, I think.
Could well be. Depends on country I think. Switch Health molecular test is actually RT-LAMP not PCR but appears to be broadly accepted. Again do check on acceptability, but my experience with Switch Health has been very positive. Have used their RT-LAMP tests multiple times, including just this week to document my positive status on my return from UK (symptomless until day after return - did normal RAT to confirm I had COVID, isolated, usedused Switch Health RT-LAMP to document for future travel).
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: Mileage plus
To be honest, if I test positive to a random test on arrival because of a past infection 3 wks before, I will just ignore the quarantine.

the govt does not offer free pcr test and I am not supposed to go for a pcr test i pay if i have symptoms!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.